What's new

96.5% kids in india go to school

Indian schools: failing
January 17, 2011 6:11 am by James Lamont .0
0.One of the big priorities for India is to educate its overwhelmingly young population. Good teachers are likely to be the difference between Asia’s third largest economy making the best of what is often touted by politicians as its ‘demographic dividend’. Without them the dividend could as easily turn out a troublesome deficit.

A report on the state of Indian education, the largest study of the country’s rural children, makes for grim reading.
India’s schools are in bad shape, and not getting any better. Maths ability is declining, and reading is way below where it should be.

The Annual Status of Education Report 2010, prepared by Pratham, an education non-governmental organisation supported by many of India’s top companies, has a blunt message. School enrolment is up but quality is unacceptably low. Inadequate state provision is fuelling the expansion of private education, which India’s largely poor people can ill-afford.

Here are five of the report’s key findings:

1. 96.5 per cent of children in the 6 to 14 age group in rural India are enrolled in school. While 71.1 per cent of these children are enrolled in government schools, 24.3 per cent are enrolled in private schools.

2. India’s southern states in particular are moving strongly towards more private sector education provision. The percentage of children in private school increased from 29.7 per cent to 36.1 per cent in Andhra Pradesh, from 19.7 per cent to 25 per cent in Tamil Nadu and from 51.5 per cent to 54.2 per cent in Kerala

3. There has been a decrease in children’s ability to do simple mathematics. The proportion of Standard 1 children who could recognise numbers from 1-9 has declined.

4. After five years of schooling, close to half of children are below a level expected after just two years of formal education. Half of these children cannot read. Only one child in five can recognise numbers up to 100.

5. Toilets were useable in only half the 13,000 schools surveyed

Kapil Sibal, the new education minister, has breathed some life into a portfolio left moribund by his elderly predecessor Arjun Singh. But lately, Mr Sibal, a lawyer, has been seconded into the telecommunications ministry to clean up a mess surrounding the controversial award of new 2G licences that may have cost the exchequer as much as $39bn.

There are few more important challenges in India than improving its schools. Not for the first time ineptitude and greed at the top are robbing India’s young of resources.

Indian schools: failing | beyondbrics | News and views on emerging markets from the Financial Times ? FT.com

i think this news is fake. there are millions of child labors in India so how it is possible 96.5% kids in india go to school?

Last edited:
96.5% No way and even if it is true what's the use of getting sub standard education in a municipal school, need of the hour is quality schools

I dont think these figures are true.

A more realistic one will be around 80 %.

Its time to start believe in Positive figures..

I don't see it happening around me. Although its a very small sample size, but when I see the kids of the laborers near my home roam around the place all day, I shudder to think the way things would be in rural areas. Are we even able to build schools in the jungles of the Naxal affected areas? In many of these places hospitals are on an average 25 kms away from a village. And even if we build govt. schools, would we find teachers brave enough to venture there?

I don't see it happening around me. Although its a very small sample size, but when I see the kids of the laborers near my home roam around the place all day, I shudder to think the way things would be in rural areas. Are we even able to build schools in the jungles of the Naxal affected areas? In many of these places hospitals are on an average 25 kms away from a village. And even if we build govt. schools, would we find teachers brave enough to venture there?

Here is the whole report..read it..

http://images2.asercentre.org/aserreports/ASER_2010_Report.pdf

Why is it so hard for us to accept some positive figures the link is given read it

if you will see the rate in south india you will be shocked to see the rate over there the education level in south india is very good plus many new states in india are showing great improvement in there education system just look at the growth in the number of students in bihar m.p and so on

I don't think there is even a single child left in Kerala without access to primary , secondary and high school education.

93 % literacy!! * BOOM *

Although there might be elements of mistakes in this article, it does go to show/prove that India despite all it's problems is trying everything in it's power to move into the future. Indians and India know in their hearts and soul that education is the best way out of poverty, extremism etc.

The fact that so many foreign students are now also going to India to study etc shows that the Indian education is getting recognized around the world. And now you also have major foreign universities, schools and colleges wanting to work together with the Indian education system only provides more strength to India.

Well done India, your rise on the global stage is welcomed, you can provide the world with the great researchers, doctors etc, the only way forward is through education.

Back
Top Bottom