What's new

960MW Terbela project to complete by September, 2011

PakSher

Reaction score
LAHORE: Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) has reportedly started working on detailed engineering design, preparation for tender documents and project cost (PC-I) of “960 megawatt (MW) Tarbela 4th Extension Hydropower Project” on a fast-track basis — which is expected to be completed by September 2011. On completion, the project will provide about 2 billion units of low-cost electricity to the national grid annually, Wapda spokesman told on Monday. The Tarbela 4th Extension Hydropower Project includes installation of two units, 480 MW each at the Tarbela Dam on existing tunnel-4, being used for irrigation releases. He said WAPDA has been planning to implement the project in two phases — Phase-I relates to detailed engineering design etc while Phase-II pertains to construction of the project. At present, two European firms — Mott MacDonald of the UK and Coyne et Billier of France are preparing detailed engineering design, tender documents and PC-1. Finances for the Phase-I amounting to $5.5 million have already been arranged under Water Sector Capacity Building and Advisory Services Project (WCAP) of the World Bank.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Back
Top Bottom