What's new

A $500 million Hollywood Movie

Markus

Reaction score
The Hobbit most expensive film ever?

The Hollywood blockbuster The Hobbit - a prequel to The Lord of the Rings trilogy and planned to be shot in New Zealand for the last decade - is expected to cost US$ 500 million and has already racked up legal fees believed to exceed $100 million, reports
News.com.au.

The film's soaring costs are mostly due to settlements with rights holders, whose wrangles with Warner Bros/New Line Cinema could have delayed shooting for another decade, the website reported.

Sir Peter Jackson's New Zealand company, Wingnut Films, is waiting for the green light for its planned adaptation.

Sources at Warner said they were hoping to approve production in the next few days and that development and shooting costs were "close to or around $500 million", reports the New Zealand Herald News.

The four-hour epic would be shot in high-definition and 3D. The movie's producers and actors' unions have so far failed to resolve differences over a collective contract for actors in New Zealand.

The most expensive movie to date was Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, which cost $300 million.

The Hobbit most expensive film ever? - Hindustan Times

No as far as i think the costliest movie was Avatar well below $300 million excluding marketing ,well but $500 million is too big

Avatar's expenditure was also above 500 $ million, because it took 15 years

I am looking forward to The Hobbit movie a lot. If done right, it can be a 'killer'!

Tolkein is my favorite author by far (being a teenager), and, even in comparison to The Lord of The Rings, I like The Hobbit book better.

I urge everyone that enjoys fantasy books to read it as soon as possible!

Lord of the rings is in the list of my 10 best movies ever, duh... I am waiting for this!

Avatar's expenditure was also above 500 $ million, because it took 15 years

as far as i know including marketing cost Avatar does not exceeded $450 million,and by the way the project was in pipeline for 15 yrs,the work only started after 2005

as far as i know including marketing cost Avatar does not exceeded $450 million,and by the way the project was in pipeline for 15 yrs,the work only started after 2005

I heard that movie was supposed to be released even before titanic, it took 15 years, it doesnt matter that whether the movie was in a pipe line or whatever line

I heard that movie was supposed to be released even before titanic, it took 15 years, it doesnt matter that whether the movie was in a pipe line or whatever line
No!!! It was not supposed to be released before Titanic. Cameron started work on this movie in 1994, when he started writing about the story etc but he was supposed to start filming right after Titanic but couldn't materialize his concept as at that time they were short of apt technology. But for what ever reason the filming was scheduled after the completion of Titanic which clearly over rules the misconception that it was supposed to be released prior to the release of Titanic.

Last edited:
There are 2 parts for this movie.Most probably these 2 parts will shoot simultaneously like Lord Of The Rings.

has anyone got bluray LOFTR, how is it?? its sad aragorn will not be in hobbit

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom