ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A letter to the Indian people
Posted June 26, 2005 to World category.

In answer to A letter to the Pakistani people:

Dear Indian People,

Glad to hear that you’re finally coming to your senses and puzzled it took you so long. It’s sad so few of us can visit the other country, or we would all have better impressions of each other.

You mentioned that you like some Pakistani music, and I could see you had to struggle to come up with some names - don’t worry - while there is a lot of talent here, Pakistani’s too know far more about Indian music than their own. There is hardly anyone who doesn’t listen to Indian music and watch Indian movies - hop into any bus on any road (or dirt track) in Pakistan and the chances are the latest Indian film songs will be playing. You write that Bollywood is killed here, but it isn’t - the government would have a easier time banning cricket than Bollywood - and in either case you can well beleive the govt. wouldn’t last the day.

In Pakistan, we have a slightly different democratic system from India, where you have the worlds biggest elections. You guys go to great lengths making sure everybody gets the chance to vote, wasting time and money sending voting machines on elephants and what not, while we have greatly streamlined the process. You see, Musharraf tells us he embodies the people’s desires, and so when he votes its the same as the whole country voting, so our process is much faster and terribly efficient. We hear that Bush is really envious of our system and has been asking Musharraf tips about the next US election.

Sounds good, but what about Jammu and Kashmir, you say. Ah yes. A real party pooper that. Well, here’s the truth. We’ve grown up seeing the “whole” of Jammu and Kashmir as a part of India in our textbooks. But then, so have you.

Actually, in Pakistani textbooks, there is a line drawn through Kashmir, with a third of it in Pakistan, and the rest in India. The whole situation is one big absurd mess now, with the lives of millions held hostage to petty intrigues as various idiots used the plight of the Kashmiries for their personal political gain. It’s high time the situation was resolved, and many of us are puzzled as to why many Indians are dragging their feet on this. You say Rid yourselves of the party pooper in the army costume and get a real government, but by the time that happens you and me will probably be dead and gone, or living under a mushroom cloud, so why is it that after so many years your govt. is still getting cold feet? What is it afraid of? We might have a leader democratically elected by himself, but he’s really serious about resolving the Kashmir mess. You ask where’s the rush, but ask the hundreds of millions of people living below the poverty line in the indian subcontinent that question - the himalayas won’t go anywhere but millions suffer every day as our countries make plans to buy billions of dollars worth of expensive toys.

You write about the the fabled Pakistani PR machine, which apparently demonizes India now and then, but I’ve been reading at least one newspaper a day (usually more) for the past many years, and they really don’t think anymore that you are at heart a rabid bunch of Hindu fanatics out to burn masjids, discriminate against Muslim Indians and beat the Pakistan cricket team in every single cricket match. Really - stop reading the old history books and those tired old retired lieutenant colonels who keep going on and on like a broken clock. Hell, we have such a vast surplus of retired army personnel that you’re most welcome to them.

Considering the statements some of the Indian political leaders make now and then, you should have learned to ignore the words uttered by some of our more idiotic politicians every now and then - we’ve been ignoring them for a very long time now, and it’s high time you guys realized that there will always be a few nutcases everywhere not representative of the majority. Talking of nuts, even the hardest can reform - look at LK Advani, moving on from tearing down mosques to praising Jinnah.

The kargil incident was a doozy, but I don’t think you need to worry much about the Pakistan army - they’re too busy building housing society’s all over the country and giving out plots to each other while running ruining all its public institutions to have any time to think about war.

We hope you kind of get what we’re all about by reading this letter. If you do get it, we’d love to know what you feel.

Well, I’ve listened to arguments for friendship with amusement and sadness - it’s the 21st century and still too many in the subcontinent are struggling with their feelings for their neighbouring countries. How does one dislike an entire nation, especially when both countries were one just a short while ago? I hope those of you making slow overtures to peace catch up with the 21st century real soon now - what has been holding you back for so long? Here, the majority are ready - after the Indian cricket team beat Pakistan in their first match in Karachi back in March 2004, the Indian team received a five minute standing ovation as they walked off the field.

It’s just as sad listening to Muslims dredging up past glories as it is listening to Indian/Pakistani celebrities finding out after a lifetime that they love their neighbouring country. Does that mean they hated/disliked each other up till now? Really? If so, why? Over the years our leaders have waged war and then taken halting steps to peace only to quickly run back to the safety in jingoism which their mediocrity demands, using hatred and fear for easy political gains. I have been watching this whole process from the sidelines for many years, wondering when the whole madness will end.

When the politicians or the talking heads on TV talk about peace, and how we should ‘learn’ to live with each other, one can only sigh and wonder what rock they’ve been living under all these years. Welcome to the 21st century - the whole world is moving on and it’s not going to wait for us to solve our soap-operaic problems. Just a few decades ago, around the time of partition (some of you must remember that, right?) there was this little incident called World War II, where some European countries went a bit nuts and started slaughtering each other. Well, today, these very same countries are now part of one big happy union. Partition was bloody, but we, who are so fond of dredging up selective bits of history to sling around really need to put things into perspective.

Yours,

ko - ko at offroadpakistan.com

In Pakistan, we have a slightly different democratic system from India, where you have the worlds biggest elections. You guys go to great lengths making sure everybody gets the chance to vote, wasting time and money sending voting machines on elephants and what not, while we have greatly streamlined the process. You see, Musharraf tells us he embodies the people’s desires, and so when he votes its the same as the whole country voting, so our process is much faster and terribly efficient. We hear that Bush is really envious of our system and has been asking Musharraf tips about the next US election.

Can't agree at this point . Having a military leader as a head is same like having a king. Where everything depends on the personal characteristics of the autrocratic ruler.
No doubt Gen Musharaff is a very able person (Indians know this better :thumbsup: ) but what after him . Will the next general be as able as him ??

I know democratic system has certain flaws . Neither Indian nor Pakistani democracy is free from corruption !! :wtf1:
But democracy is the ultimate empowerment of the people. British democracy was not build in a day , but now its one of the best .

Very good points Arjun, we too worry about the next President of Pakistan, and i bet most of the people will want Musharraf to run for the upcoming elections in 2007. Everything will depend on him.

The next capable person i believe is Shaukat Aziz he has some same views that Musharraf has if chooses to run for the election my vote will go to him, if i could vote.

Then there is another person, Imran Khan, he was a captain of the Pakistani team that won the world cup. Politics and Cricket is different we agree, but i have seen his interviews his points are very moderate to but i doubt his capability to run handle the government.

Dealing with opposition as well as some corrupt General isn't a easy thing. Musharraf is stable right now because he has both seats thus nobody can ditch him, and some fear not to do so.

Yes, Pakistani music is great! But India really needs to get Rock out into the scene. It saddens me to see only a few Rock bands who have their CDs released in India. :Ledsen_Gubbe:

Originally posted by Kim Jong-il Hater@Oct 29 2005, 09:24 AM
Yes, Pakistani music is great! But India really needs to get Rock out into the scene. It saddens me to see only a few Rock bands who have their CDs released in India. :Ledsen_Gubbe:
[post=1612]Quoted post[/post]​

Very True, there are some great telents, I remember Junoon and Hayder Ali, but have not heard more about anybody else, they should do better to market themself in India and other countries.
Junoon was played by most houses and clubs in those days, but they have again disappeared. Sad about Hayder Ali passed away, I maybe spelling his name wrong, I beg your pardon.

Originally posted by Ahsan Farooqui@Oct 20 2005, 07:50 PM
Very good points Arjun, we too worry about the next President of Pakistan, and i bet most of the people will want Musharraf to run for the upcoming elections in 2007. Everything will depend on him.

The next capable person i believe is Shaukat Aziz he has some same views that Musharraf has if chooses to run for the election my vote will go to him, if i could vote.

Then there is another person, Imran Khan, he was a captain of the Pakistani team that won the world cup. Politics and Cricket is different we agree, but i have seen his interviews his points are very moderate to but i doubt his capability to run handle the government.

Dealing with opposition as well as some corrupt General isn't a easy thing. Musharraf is stable right now because he has both seats thus nobody can ditch him, and some fear not to do so.
[post=1071]Quoted post[/post]​

Well i think that the real match will be between shauket and musharraf. Imran khan might not be curropt but most people will just say that he does'nt have what it takes to run a country of 150million people.

Shauket on the other hand is very non-curropet and a smart person. Apart from that he knows how to run a country. He is in a way musharraf junior. :P

Now musharraf is probabley the best leader we ever had. He turned pakistan from a underdevloped, curropt state to a 2nd fastest devloping country in asia. :ace: Along with that he is a military personnal, which means he knows best about the security of the country. He is trying his best to make friends with every country. Which is good.

So the match might be between shauket and mushraf :reading1:

Originally posted by Jag@Nov 4 2005, 03:40 AM
Very True, there are some great telents, I remember Junoon and Hayder Ali, but have not heard more about anybody else, they should do better to market themself in India and other countries.
Junoon was played by most houses and clubs in those days, but they have again disappeared. Sad about Hayder Ali passed away, I maybe spelling his name wrong, I beg your pardon.
[post=2242]Quoted post[/post]​

Yaar EP is in town now. Along with JAL. Both are rocking asia all over :bunny:

Why there are so much diverse view with in pakistan about Mushraf and its leadership?
Lots of thinkers writers are contiously saying that he is worst including some hardliners (Just read an article by Some Ex ISI man Hamid Gul)
but on the other hand in my view mushurraf is best bet for India. :reading1: :reading1:
Abhi

Originally posted by abhishek@Nov 21 2005, 05:19 AM
Why there are so much diverse view with in pakistan about Mushraf and its leadership?
Lots of thinkers writers are contiously saying that he is worst including some hardliners (Just read an article by Some Ex ISI man Hamid Gul)
but on the other hand in my view mushurraf is best bet for India. :reading1: :reading1:
Abhi
[post=3311]Quoted post[/post]​
Under musharafs regime pakistan has attained a very good momentum..but it should not be credited to musharaf rather to presidency..and we must seek another such leader now..for the next 8 years we must improve upon our selfs rather then staying in the same place.

we want a reformed govermental system which will last and will not evaporate when musharaf goes.

Originally posted by Yahya@Nov 21 2005, 03:31 PM
we want a reformed govermental system which will last and will not evaporate when musharaf goes.
[post=3323]Quoted post[/post]​

PAKISTAN had the situation in and after the regimes of Ayub Khan and Z.A.Bhutto.

Nothing changed that time.

Do you really think anything will change after Gen.Musharraf???

Thanks,

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Nov 21 2005, 04:38 PM
PAKISTAN had the situation in and after the regimes of Ayub Khan and Z.A.Bhutto.

Thanks,

Miro
[post=3364]Quoted post[/post]​
"where theres will, theres way"

Originally posted by Yahya@Nov 22 2005, 12:23 AM
"where theres will, theres way"
[post=3372]Quoted post[/post]​

I can understand your love and affection towards your motherland.

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Nov 21 2005, 05:38 PM

You're referring to a totally different era. True Pakistan has had political instability but we've come a long way.
Today illiteracy has declined to 50% and the society is more politcally aware than ever. The future looks bright!

Thanks,

Miro

Musharraf has put the new political course towards moderation which certainly will find full support of any future elected government.
That ofcourse has upset the islamist groups throughout the country and there's still a chance that he'll be assisinated.
That would put Pakistan in a very difficult and dangerous position under a new martial law;
He might be followed by some Islamist hardliner like Zia since there are still influential elements within PA.
Other scenarion, a better one, is that Shaukat Aziz would take over.
He's a moderate and enlightend politician and one of the best educated figures arround in Islamabad.
he'll make a good leader!

We'll have to wait till the elections in 2007.
Personally I like Musharraf and would love him to stay as I totally trust him.
But it would be better for Pakistan to have a new leader, someone with the caliber of Shaukat Aziz or even Maleeha Lodhi.

Imran is a local hero but lacks political insight.
He's not the one who could lead the country towards secularism.

Originally posted by Neo@Nov 26 2005, 08:32 PM
You're referring to a totally different era. True Pakistan has had political instability but we've come a long way.
Today illiteracy has declined to 50% and the society is more politcally aware than ever. The future looks bright!
Musharraf has put the new political course towards moderation which certainly will find full support of any future elected government.
That ofcourse has upset the islamist groups throughout the country and there's still a chance that he'll be assisinated.
That would put Pakistan in a very difficult and dangerous position under a new martial law;
He might be followed by some Islamist hardliner like Zia since there are still influential elements within PA.
Other scenarion, a better one, is that Shaukat Aziz would take over.
He's a moderate and enlightend politician and one of the best educated figures arround in Islamabad.
he'll make a good leader!
[post=3787]Quoted post[/post]​

Having people like Musharraf and Shaukat Aziz is also in favour of India.

Problem is the Pakistani political parties.

If there is a democrotic election in Pakistan say in 2007, these parties will be coming in active politics after 7 years.

7 years of political draught will bring more curruption and beaurocracy since the parties and their leaders couldn't eat money for all this time and couldnt run the nation accordingly.

I agree about the progress, but progress in countries like India and Pakistan will be always slow due to politics,curruption and the red file beaurocrats.

Musharraf and Aziz both are leading Pakistan well but at the same time India is afraid of those selfish leaders who will spark the India-Pakistan relations. Not to forget their regime might also upset the foreign investors and Pakistani Economy might shatter again.

Thanks,

Miro

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom