What's new

A Look at Indian Army's Main Battle Tanks

I never said that the Leo 2 was not built for combat. I said that Germany hasn't been involved in tank to tank or insurgent to tank fights in the past 50 years and they did not see need for blow off panels. Case in point, Leopard 2A7+ is rated as being much more dangerous to the crew than the M1.

Again who cares... Leopard is still a world class mbt without blow off panels... and in use with several armies...

More than 248 Arjun MK.I in service now, MK.II is undergoing trials. It is not 119.

I provided you sources...and u provide me with what?
I know people who have taken apart the armour of T-72 and Leopard 2 and examined thoroughly. One of the people I take my info from actually knows the composite armour composition of Leo 2A4. So, I'll take his words that T-72, T-80 and even T-90 side turret armour is at bare 60-70 mm minimum.

Good for you.
@DESERT FIGHTER, let's agree to disagree over the T-80UD and Al-Khalid comparison :)

Well, whatever I might say, Al-Khalid is still a competent tank and is a threat, a dangerous threat to our tanks. :tup:

It's not like I am trying to underrate the AK. It is a good tank.

But T-64 lineage will still rank above AK in my list.

I wont argue with you over it coz i have debunked several of your claims abt AKs transmission,era,ammo compartments,armour and its frontal armour or roof armour...

Last edited by a moderator:
248 were inducted, no service for the other 128? 128 were ordered after the initial order. You are using old information

If you can provide the source that would be great.
As per livefist blog army has got around 124 Arjun MK1 and further ordering for 116 Arjun MKII. With HVF Avadi looking at a production rate of 30 tanks a year, all 116 tanks will be delivered by 2020.
--------------------------
Aug 9/10: Mk2. In a written Parliamentary reply to Shri BP Tarai and Shri Prabodh Panda, Defence Minister Shri AK Antony confirms that the Indian Army is placing an order for “124 Arjun Tanks Mark – II in addition to the equal number of Mark – I ordered earlier.” The difference between the 2 versions is not yet clear, and neither is the price.

Is there any secret orders are included?

I wont argue with you over it coz i have debunked several of your claims abt AKs transmission,era,ammo compartments,armour and its frontal armour or roof armour...

I've said absolutely nothing about the transmission. The ERA on the AK is outdated by Western standards, it is K-1 box with K-5 type explosive material, which is comparable to ERA we use on T-90S. Ammo compartments are unsafe, whatever you claim. It's roof armour is as weak as it is, ERA will not rectify poor base armour.

I am tired of repeating the same thing again and again, AK frontal is better than T-80U frontal protection.

If you can provide the source that would be great.
As per livefist blog army has got around 124 Arjun MK1 and further ordering for 116 Arjun MKII. With HVF Avadi looking at a production rate of 30 tanks a year, all 116 tanks will be delivered by 2020.
--------------------------
Aug 9/10: Mk2. In a written Parliamentary reply to Shri BP Tarai and Shri Prabodh Panda, Defence Minister Shri AK Antony confirms that the Indian Army is placing an order for “124 Arjun Tanks Mark – II in addition to the equal number of Mark – I ordered earlier.” The difference between the 2 versions is not yet clear, and neither is the price.

Is there any secret orders are included?

It seems my sources are old :tsk: Much older than the ones you and Koovie have posted.

I've said absolutely nothing about the transmission. The ERA on the AK is outdated by Western standards, it is K-1 box with K-5 type explosive material, which is comparable to ERA we use on T-90S. Ammo compartments are unsafe, whatever you claim. It's roof armour is as weak as it is, ERA will not rectify poor base armour.

I am tired of repeating the same thing again and again, AK frontal is better than T-80U frontal protection.

Again speculations Aorak mk-2 is a modified duplet knife ERA... developed with Ukrainian assistance.. as for poor base armour... please enlighten us about ...

Again speculations Aorak mk-2 is a modified duplet knife ERA... developed with Ukrainian assistance.. as for poor base armour... please enlighten us about ...

It's not like I can measure the base armour of Al-Khalid on the roof. The roof of Soviet/Chinese family has poor base armour, pictures of Type-90IIM (which are not available now, I am still searching where I saw them) clearly showed 70-80 mm plate on the roof, this plate slopes onto frontal aspect. That's why I said that turret redesign is required.

As for Aorak MK-2, Ukrainians have vehemently denied that they have exported "Knife" or "Duplet" or provided ToT or even ERA design assistance concerning Duplet to Pakistan. It would be nice if you have a source which states Duplet was improved as Aorak or Duplet was supplied to Pakistan. So far, I have not seen Duplet or even Duplet-like plates on Al-Khalid. Aorak MK-I pictures I saw looked suspiciously like K-1.

REALITY_SLAP_L1.jpg

Aorak ERA:

2u3xl46.jpg

If we see what's written on the armor block.... we see 90II and some Chinese characters.... Most probably the armor is being tested for Type 90 II and in China.

From what we can see there is a small shaped charge being tested against it... probably 105mm.

35mplja.jpg

The Shaped charge penetrates the armor.

bs_flag.gif
bs_flag.gif

Now I would leave this to the esteemed tank experts here to rate this ERA.

:sleep:

World Class Indian Development ,, My foot ..Really I do burn when I see such a crap...

I fear you may call it the best tank of the world... :omghaha:

Well, our Al Khalids are far better than this tin tank.... You must compare it with that, however not with Al Khalid I.....that would be really insulting for the brainless nationalists....Hope, you got it...

Quite a fair remark, considering that you think that Kashmir is Pakistani.

The problem with T-90s are, much of the infrastructure of Northeast won't support 45-50 tonnes of tank. Thus reducing it's area on deployment in that zone.

The solution would be to import and deploy tanks like Anders having weight below 35 tonnes. So that it could be deployed in the forward bases.

902519.jpg

Or develop a separate turret and fit it on existing T-55 platforms to suit the specific role. Like this.

1512006215152233xt4.jpg

If we look at the kind of terrain in the north-east, in the forward areas, anything heavier than 1 MT will be problematic.

I don't believe that a tank in the north-east is necessary or desirable. There is no 'tank country', no flat or even rolling terrain to accommodate armour. Instead of these behemoths, we should enhance our firepower at the section level.

If we look at the kind of terrain in the north-east, in the forward areas, anything heavier than 1 MT will be problematic.

I don't believe that a tank in the north-east is necessary or desirable. There is no 'tank country', no flat or even rolling terrain to accommodate armour. Instead of these behemoths, we should enhance our firepower at the section level.

that's smart, even if tanks do move in one direction , too many atgms for too many choke points will be there !

Please removed Arjun from that...Its a tank full of flaws..India should get T-90s from Russia rather than wasting money on this crap....
So true mate! Arjunk Indian Tank is how never a tank should be made, decades delays in time period, full of flaws and mechanical problems. Totally a flop. I know Indian ego will hurt, but truly Arjun by the meaning of the name, has not done justice to it. Its a complete fail.

So true mate! Arjunk Indian Tank is how never a tank should be made, decades delays in time period, full of flaws and mechanical problems. Totally a flop. I know Indian ego will hurt, but truly Arjun by the meaning of the name, has not done justice to it. Its a complete fail.

I can understand your frustration that you guys are incapable of achieving this feet even today. Atleast we tried and we came up with an MBT which stands compared to some of the best.

Let me ask you which flaws do you find in Arjun that you call it a fail??

Arjun_Mk_II.jpg

Have a good look mate

Back
Top Bottom