What's new

Featured A Powerful explosion rocks Beirut.

AFP
Updated 08 Aug 2020

5f2dd15608b5b.jpg

Volunteers gather to clear the debris in areas of Beirut that were damaged by a blast in the Lebanese capital’s port three days earlier.—AFP

BEIRUT: Lebanon’s president on Friday rejected any international probe into the catastrophic port blast, saying a missile or negligence could have been responsible as rescuers desperately combed the rubble for survivors.

The entrenched ruling class has come under fire once again since Tuesday’s explosion, which killed at least 154 people and devastated swathes of the capital.

The revelation that a huge shipment of hazardous ammonium nitrate had languished for years in a warehouse in the heart of the capital served as shocking proof to many Lebanese of the rot at the core of their political system.

Even Lebanese President Michel Aoun admitted on Friday that the “paralysed” system needed to be “reconsidered”. “We are facing changes and reconsidering our system, which is built on consensus, after it was seen to be paralysed and incapable of swiftly executing decisions,” Aoun told reporters.

He pledged “swift justice”, but rejected widespread calls for an international probe, telling a reporter he saw it as an attempt to “dilute the truth”.

There are two possible scenarios for what happened: it was either negligence or foreign interference through a missile or bomb,” he said, the first time a top Lebanese official raised the possibility that the port had been attacked.

What ignited the massive shipment of the chemical remains unclear — officials have said work had recently begun on repairs to the warehouse, while others suspected fireworks stored either in the same place or nearby. Near the seat of the explosion, by the carcass of the port’s giant grain silos, rescue teams from France, Russia, Germany, Italy and other countries coordinated their search efforts.

Four bodies were uncovered near the port’s control room, where a significant number of people were expected to have been working at the time of the blast. No one has been found alive.

I am waiting to hear that you have been rescued alive, my dear,” tweeted Emilie Hasrouty, whose brother is among the missing. “I am paralysed with fear.

At the port, reduced to an enormous scrapyard, excavators removed mangled shipping containers to clear a path for rescuers. Civil defence teams anxiously watched a sniffer dog as he paced around a gap under a fallen crane.

Beirut has received a stream of international assistance since the blast, with the president of the European Council, Charles Michel, set to visit the ravaged capital on Saturday.

French President Emmanuel Macron was the first world leader to touch down in Lebanon on Thursday, where he pressed officials to enact deep reform ahead of an aid conference planned in the coming days.

Macron spoke on Friday to US President Donald Trump, with the White House saying they would work “with international partners to provide immediate aid to the Lebanese people”.

The World Food Programme promised food to affected families and wheat imports to replace lost stocks from the port’s disembowelled silos. The World Health Organisation, meanwhile, called for $15 million to cover immediate health needs.

I didn't say we had anything to do with it.
The man baselessly said Israel was stupid.

I just said this explosion isn't all that bad for Israel afterall.

Ok, my bad. It sure sounded like you were clearly insinuating an Israeli involvement due to this sad event.

I'm not commenting on what delivery system was used simply that it was a preplanned coordinated attack! And who has the motive to do something like this is rather clear as well.

Plus it would seem that Ammonia was a confiscated shipment headed to Mozambique that was paying a fine for being stored there and the main ppl behind the pressures that came down to keep the shipment stored there seem to be connected to the Saad Hariri camp who is a Saudi-American puppet!
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/europe/lebanon-russian-ship-blast-intl/index.html

If your incapable of adding 2+2 that's your issue!

You are free to think whatever you like. I never challenged you. I just posted that I don't get into any of the conspiracy theories without any clear evidence. Speculations and adding one thing with the other like you just said "2+2" and all that doesn't fly with me. There has to be a lot more evidence, not just circumstantial events and conditions that can be easily argued the other way. But then you quoted my post and called me a moron, hence my reply to you that (which BTW had no insults, just some fun-loving dinking about some of those conspiracy theories like the killer dolphins with laser beams and RPGs) because that's how silly I think these theories are.

Here's the other thing, without some bit of convincing evidence, you're giving the Israelis more credit for power they don't have nor do they deserve. Why do that? Why speculate and try to convince yourself to make them look like they're masters of being able to pull something like this off without any proof whatsoever. I mean, look at all the ridiculous YouTube faking videos and inserting negatives and phony missiles and trying to do the same exact thing? It's sad and silly.

Any situation you can look at and claim sabotage or a terrorist attack or whatever, especially in that particular country which has been nothing but mired in civil wars and terrorism and division of governments etc.

BTW, Almost the same thing happened in China a year or two ago I forget but that's half a world away from Israel, I guess, so hard to make the Israelis the culprits, right?

Oh yeah, I just remembered, the same, almost identical event happened in Waco, Tx. Just they didn't stack 2750 tons of this crap. Closer to 300 tons and look what happened, same exact thing on a smaller scale.

According to its last filing with the EPA in late 2012, the company stated that it stored 540,000 pounds (270 short tons; 240 t) of ammonium nitrate and 110,000 pounds (55 short tons; 50 t) of anhydrous ammonia on the site.

On April 17, 2013, an ammonium nitrate explosion occurred at the West Fertilizer Company storage and distribution facility in West, Texas, eighteen miles (29 km) north of Waco, while emergency services personnel were responding to a fire at the facility. Fifteen people were killed, more than 160 were injured, and more than 150 buildings were damaged or destroyed. Investigators confirmed that ammonium nitrate was the material that exploded. On May 11, 2016, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives stated that the fire had been deliberately set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fertilizer_Company_explosion

So in this case, we know that all it takes to ignite this crap is a fire!!! No missile is needed, no dolphin not even Spider Man or Batman! All it takes is a fire to spread and once it reached a certain condition with relation to the packed ammonium nitrate.....kabooom. Exactly what happened in Beirut. All that talk of a nuclear catalyst and all that garbage is nothing but that, garbage.

If someone gets arrested for starting the fire and is linked to a certain organization, that would be a lot more convincing but there's nothing like that going on yet. All we keep hearing from the Lebanese gov. and even Hezbollah is that it was nothing but a fire that spread to the improper storage combined with incompetence to move it out of there and safely away from the port and city.

Israel is up to her neck in the Beyrouth explosion...no matter how much cover the arab states lapdog will give her...

The momentum goes down my friend.
Rise in what way?

No, down it was before. Lebanon was nearly freezed, in a kind of stalemate. Lots of foreign influence in the politics, western and eastern, what let the country without own vision. And without own vision, a country is dead.

So with this "bang" all woke up and there is a chance the lebanese begin to question themself what Lebanon is. This is the momentum.

Foreign countries knows about that momentum and want to take and form it and shift Lebanon in their direction. The lebanese have to take care that they do not come in the same situation again, have to take care that they can develop their own vision into reality.

an explosion in Beirut, GCC is invited to a meeting, anti Iran and Hezbollah protests. Same tactics all over again. Cant believe how stupid people are to fall for the same crap every single time. Only thing missing is some "Hezbollah agents" shooting peaceful protesters

Ok, my bad. It sure sounded like you were clearly insinuating an Israeli involvement due to this sad event.

You are free to think whatever you like. I never challenged you. I just posted that I don't get into any of the conspiracy theories without any clear evidence. Speculations and adding one thing with the other like you just said "2+2" and all that doesn't fly with me. There has to be a lot more evidence, not just circumstantial events and conditions that can be easily argued the other way. But then you quoted my post and called me a moron, hence my reply to you that (which BTW had no insults, just some fun-loving dinking about some of those conspiracy theories like the killer dolphins with laser beams and RPGs) because that's how silly I think these theories are.

Here's the other thing, without some bit of convincing evidence, you're giving the Israelis more credit for power they don't have nor do they deserve. Why do that? Why speculate and try to convince yourself to make them look like they're masters of being able to pull something like this off without any proof whatsoever. I mean, look at all the ridiculous YouTube faking videos and inserting negatives and phony missiles and trying to do the same exact thing? It's sad and silly.

Any situation you can look at and claim sabotage or a terrorist attack or whatever, especially in that particular country which has been nothing but mired in civil wars and terrorism and division of governments etc.

BTW, Almost the same thing happened in China a year or two ago I forget but that's half a world away from Israel, I guess, so hard to make the Israelis the culprits, right?

Oh yeah, I just remembered, the same, almost identical event happened in Waco, Tx. Just they didn't stack 2750 tons of this crap. Closer to 300 tons and look what happened, same exact thing on a smaller scale.

According to its last filing with the EPA in late 2012, the company stated that it stored 540,000 pounds (270 short tons; 240 t) of ammonium nitrate and 110,000 pounds (55 short tons; 50 t) of anhydrous ammonia on the site.

On April 17, 2013, an ammonium nitrate explosion occurred at the West Fertilizer Company storage and distribution facility in West, Texas, eighteen miles (29 km) north of Waco, while emergency services personnel were responding to a fire at the facility. Fifteen people were killed, more than 160 were injured, and more than 150 buildings were damaged or destroyed. Investigators confirmed that ammonium nitrate was the material that exploded. On May 11, 2016, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives stated that the fire had been deliberately set.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fertilizer_Company_explosion

So in this case, we know that all it takes to ignite this crap is a fire!!! No missile is needed, no dolphin not even Spider Man or Batman! All it takes is a fire to spread and once it reached a certain condition with relation to the packed ammonium nitrate.....kabooom. Exactly what happened in Beirut. All that talk of a nuclear catalyst and all that garbage is nothing but that, garbage.

If someone gets arrested for starting the fire and is linked to a certain organization, that would be a lot more convincing but there's nothing like that going on yet. All we keep hearing from the Lebanese gov. and even Hezbollah is that it was nothing but a fire that spread to the improper storage combined with incompetence to move it out of there and safely away from the port and city.

So you had no trouble blaming Hezbullah based on no facts no evidence and you blamed them for being bunch of unprofessional armatures who where storing Ammonium Nitrate there and got half of Beirut blown up.
The fact that your mentality is such that the likelihood of the people who had a motive to blow up half of Beirut is less likely than any other scenario speaks for itself.
And again this was not an industrial accident that happened in a factory in a middle of nowhere at a location that was zoned to store and produce such materials! Get this through your head, someone brought that shipment to Beirut and paid a hefty fine and used political clout to keep it stored there for 6 years despite warnings from the Lebanese military!
Why would politicians use political clout to go against the countries own military to store explosive materials at a port for 6 YEARS? WHY? And in a matter of months after Harriri is gone and right before the new government can get its wits about it BOOM! And it's not like the authorities weren't warned about it so without political influence and pressures that came down to keep it stored there such a thing would have never happened.
The fact that the Americans & French are going around and pushing the Lebanese to bring back Hariri camp while their media attempts to put the blame on Hezbollah also speaks for itself.

And the ONLY thing Hezbullah has announced so far is that they do not want to rush to judgment and that there needs to be an impartial bipartisan investigation preferably led by the Lebanese Military and whomever was at fault needs to be judged and punished accordingly and publicly!

If only....

Historically, foreigners have repeatedly attempted and in small instances even succeeded in getting Iranians & Turks to fight each other because as always Iranians & Turks fighting each other benefits everyone but Iranians and Turks.
Only a foolish leader would fall for such tricks be they Iranian or Turk because our history has and will continue to judge such leaders as FOOLS!

Funny how an attack that became possible either through the direct result of the Hariri Camps treachery or at best due to their financial & political corruption somehow ends up turning into an anti Hezbullah propaganda festival!

Since birth Israel hasn't gone a decade without bombing one of it's neighbors and now the best idea some idiots have is to go after the ONLY force that has ever been able to stand up to Israel.
LOL!

No, down it was before. Lebanon was nearly freezed, in a kind of stalemate. Lots of foreign influence in the politics, western and eastern, what let the country without own vision. And without own vision, a country is dead.

So with this "bang" all woke up and there is a chance the lebanese begin to question themself what Lebanon is. This is the momentum.

Foreign countries knows about that momentum and want to take and form it and shift Lebanon in their direction. The lebanese have to take care that they do not come in the same situation again, have to take care that they can develop their own vision into reality.
Currently there are huge riots in Lebanon, with dead and hundreds of injured people.

Looks like Syria at the start of their civil war.

Since birth Israel hasn't gone a decade without bombing one of it's neighbors and now the best idea some idiots have is to go after the ONLY force that has ever been able to stand up to Israel.
They are really desperate, last time they tried to blame Hezbollah for WhatsApp messaging fees.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom