eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
'Whipped to death' | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

'Whipped to death'
Tue, Feb 1st, 2011 7:23 pm

Photo: Madrasa teacher Saidur Rahman who issued the decree

Shariatpur, Feb 01 (bdnews24.com) – An adolescent girl has died after being whipped for having an extra marital affair.

The 14-year-old died after a local Union Parisad member had 100 lashes administered on her, which villagers said had been 'endorsed' at a makeshift village arbitration.

The victim was charged with having an illicit relationship with a married man, one Mahbub, son of Rabiul Khan of Chamta village in Shariatpur's Naria Upazila.

Naria police arrested three people in connection with the death and an Imam for issuing the edict that eventually led to the punishment and subsequent death of the teenager.

Prime suspect, Idris Sheikh, a member of the union council remains at large.

On January 22, locals caught the girl and her lover during a rendezvous and the local arbitration committee ruled that the girl was guilty.

On January 24, villagers, led by Idris, administered the 100 lashes following local madrasa teacher Saidur Rahman and mosque Imam Md Mafiz Uddin's decree.

She was admitted to the Shariatpur Sadar Hospital in a critical condition but villagers pressured the hospital authorities to have her discharged. She was then taken back home.

"As her condition worsened, she was taken to the Naria Upazilla Health Complex where she died," her uncle said.

Police said that according to post mortem reports, the victim's body bore bruises and bite marks at different parts.

Saidur Rahman said he had never issued a decree. "I had rather suggested the punishment for illicit relationships according to Islam."

Chamta union chairman Gias Uddin said he was in Dhaka and had heard of the incident and that he will be able to throw more light upon his return.

Naria police station OC Abul Khayer Fakir said they are currently investigating the case and are still to ascertain the actual cause of death.

Police in Bangladesh have arrested four Islamic clerics after a teenage girl accused of having a relationship with a married man was whipped to death.

The clerics were accused of ordering Mosammet Hena, 14, to receive 100 lashes in a fatwa, or religious edict, at a village in south-western Shariatpur district, the area's police chief, AKM Shahidur Rahman, said. The area is 35 miles from the capital, Dhaka.

Fatwas are illegal in Bangladesh, but Islamic clerics sometimes preside over courts that use sharia law and issue fatwas to deal with issues such as extramarital relationships.

Rahman said the girl collapsed after she was lashed in public with a bamboo cane about 70 times on Monday. She was taken to a hospital where she died the same day.

The police chief said the 40-year-old man with whom Hena was allegedly involved was also sentenced to 100 lashes, but fled. "We are hunting for the man," he said.

Bangladesh clerics arrested after girl whipped to death | World news | The Guardian

children are the most precious jewel for any nation..

This is sad and truth be told outright disgusting when such things happen..

the psycho mullah should be caught and given the harshest punishment found in BD law..

RIP to the soul of the girl and my prayers with her family..

^^^a good deal of spanking from our ladies that's for sure...

i am asking a serious questin man. the mullah, and the other 3 are in jail now, and if they are convicted, what will be their punishment?

i am asking a serious questin man. the mullah, and the other 3 are in jail now, and if they are convicted, what will be their punishment?

I guess they will be tried for killing a minor, probably will get a life-time. .

Didn't something similar happen a few weeks ago? A girl beaten with sticks tied together..

R.I.P 14 years old as well :cry:, this is one of the most harshest punishments in 21st century to be honest, apoligies but I do not agree with this sharia law.

Back
Top Bottom