What's new

A word of Caution

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
A word of caution to all of us on the net.

Today we all were surprised at work when a posse of persons landed up armed with a notice from the High Court to check all computers and ascertain if we were using licensed Microsoft software. They took about 3 minutes on each work station to check the software being used.

Thankfully none of the computers had pirated software. But one realized how close we were to disaster had we not stuck to Company policy of only using licensed software .

I thought of the time a few months ago when I was buying a lap top and almost succumbed to the offer of using pirated software. Luckily, the machine came with a Windows 7 pre installed.

What I am trying to get at is us in S Asia & China take Intellectual property very lightly & is not worth it.

Raids are not very common.

Maybe if someone complains to Microsoft to any other concerned authority, only then raids happen otherwise its free-for-all.

^ Which Linux do you use brother?

I use Kubuntu from my flashdrive sometimes. It's wonderful. I love KDE environment.

^ Which Linux do you use brother?

I use Kubuntu from my flashdrive sometimes. It's wonderful. I love KDE environment.
I use ArchLinux my dear brother!!
It's for advanced users, but everybody is a n00b in the beginning you know :smitten:

I'm on GNU/Linux for almost a Decade Now.Debian Squeeze.
I Had Tried Gentoo and Arch;But Always Swear with Debian! :D I liked Foresight Linux Which has Conary Package Manager.Sadly, that Distro Seems Nowhere Near My Needed Support Level.
--
Windows 7 Home Edition Costs Indian Rs5400/- IINM. I am aware that Your License Stands Cancelled if Your Motherboard or System Specifications are Changed.M$ EULA(END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT -No One dare to Read it!) is So Anal on Licensing for even changes in Hardware.
Believe Me Ubuntu is a Good Distro(Linux Distribution) to Start With.For Windows Softwares(many of them), You can use "Wine"(Windows Emulator) and Commerical Softwares like Codeweavers crossover office or Cedega for Gaming.

GoodLuck! :)

Really glad to have some LINUX folks around here, don't feel like a freakin freak anymore :yahoo:

Believe Me Ubuntu is a Good Distro(Linux Distribution) to Start With.For Windows Softwares(many of them), You can use "Wine"(Windows Emulator) and Commerical Softwares like Codeweavers crossover office or Cedega for Gaming.

GoodLuck! :)

I get driver problems with Ubuntu, I prefer Linux Mint.

A word of caution to all of us on the net.

Today we all were surprised at work when a posse of persons landed up armed with a notice from the High Court to check all computers and ascertain if we were using licensed Microsoft software. They took about 3 minutes on each work station to check the software being used.

Thankfully none of the computers had pirated software. But one realized how close we were to disaster had we not stuck to Company policy of only using licensed software .

I thought of the time a few months ago when I was buying a lap top and almost succumbed to the offer of using pirated software. Luckily, the machine came with a Windows 7 pre installed.

What I am trying to get at is us in S Asia & China take Intellectual property very lightly & is not worth it.
Your company was obviously reported. MS doesn't have the money to raid every company of the world.

Most of the times when MS catches someone it gives them the option to comply to their licensing requirement first.

Corporates even in Pakistan are almost always legit. It is the small time businesses that don't bother with licensing and big companies like Oracle and MS don't care about them too.

I think if Linux allows to run exe and dll files in it then many many people will start using Linux.

Is it possible to run exe files without help of any Windows Emulator (WinE)?

I think if Linux allows to run exe and dll files in it then many many people will start using Linux.

Is it possible to run exe files without help of any Windows Emulator (WinE)?
Well WINE is a layer of s/w that translates the calls made by Windows programs to native system calls of the OS on whichit is running e.g Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac etc.
IOW, its impossible to run Windows progs w/o a translation layer such as WINE.
I can further explain but then it would turn into something very CS specific & boring. :coffee:

It's difficult for companies to come to homes and personally check computers, it will give other software companies a huge advantage (such as Linux or Mac).

Once they piss off home consumer, he/she will go for opponents software and most of the task can be done by every OS and it's related software.

Your company was obviously reported. MS doesn't have the money to raid every company of the world.

Most of the times when MS catches someone it gives them the option to comply to their licensing requirement first.

Corporates even in Pakistan are almost always legit. It is the small time businesses that don't bother with licensing and big companies like Oracle and MS don't care about them too.

Not always.

I myself know of a Indian company which is in the IT sector having revenue exceeding 5000 crores and uses pirated MS software at many of their locations.

Microsoft India DOES conducts raid even in SOHO Establishments IINM.
They had conducted raids in Smaller Cities like Coimbatore,Cochin,Trivandrum etc Recently and It was a news.

the "Genuine Windows" campaign and its Hoardings are Common in most of South India's cities?

Back
Top Bottom