What's new

Additional Sukhois for Chabua base

anonymous_bot

New Recruit

Reaction score
CHABUA, Oct 2 – An additional squadron of advanced combat aircraft Sukhoi-30MKI is likely to be stationed at the Indian Air Force’s eastern-most station in view of the strategic importance of the base, reports PTI.
Sharing the news here, Wing Commander Gaurav Mani Tripathy told journalists yesterday on the eve of the 81st Air Force Day that the Sukhoi-30MKI multi-role fighter plane squadron is used to patrol the skies in the region.

With the MiG-21 era coming to an end at the station – the last squadron moved out in 2009 – Tripathy said that the base underwent a major renovation and expansion of facilities in preparation for the induction of the Sukhoi-30MKI fighters, which arrived in February 2011.

Speaking about the Su-30MKI, Tripathy said the aircraft was manufactured by the Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) under licence from Russia’s Sukhoi.

He said that the heavy, all-weather, long-range Indian variant of the fighter plane was more advanced than the basic SU-30MK and more capable than those used by China (SU30MKK/MK2) and Malaysia (SU-30MKM).

Talking about the Chabua base, he said, “The station has served as a major supply point for troops deployed in Arunachal Pradesh with various transport aircraft and helicopters operating from here.”

http: //***.assamtribune.com/scripts/detailsnew.asp?id=oct0313/at092

Nice! I wonder,whether they'll have a new name for the Squadron or will they take up the name of the MiG-21 unit they are replacing!

Chabua Air Force Station (ICAO: VECA) is an Indian Air Force base located at Chabua of Dibrugarh district in the state of Assam, India.
Currently used as a training airfield, the MiG-21 (FL) fighters assigned train young fighter pilots, thus, enabling a smooth transition to an operational role in the frontline squadrons of IAF. The unit calls itself ‘the young ones’. Formed in October, 1966 with the motto Abhyasen hi Kaushalayam, the unit has a glorious and chequered history since its establishment. Seven Vir Chakra, a Vayu Sena Medal and five Mention-in-Despatches won by the unit is a testimony to the gallantry of the unit. More recently, the unit has been declared as the `best fighter squadron' of EAC for the current year.

^^^^^^^^What Wiki says...............................

Chabua is a strategic base,locating right in the junction of Arunachal and Mayanmar.this base has a long history..this base was used to supply ROC soldiers during WW II.it is a very important base for training,though not at all an ideal place to fly.but Chabua,along With Vijaynagar and Tejpur(already operational) Airbase will be used to operate Fighter jets like Su-30 MKI in the future to guard the airspace in this region.also,there are several airstrips are going through modernization.

there is already a MKI sqdn operating from Chabua as far as i know...
this is going to be the second sqdn. so..
apart from Lohegaon AFB, Pune and Bareilly AFB in UP this is going to be the 3rd AFS to house 2 sqdns of MKI.

I hope the bases are well defended by SAMs, and also have underground chutes / hangars to hide the fighters.

These are forward bases, hence at greater risk of pre-emptive strikes.

We should build a lot of advanced landing grounds all over the north east, so that the fighters can operate for various locations (even though the each of the numerous landing fields may not have as much facilities as the full fledged bases ... and with low costs).

It will be nice to watch these beasts taking off from chabua's runway. All these years, It was facinating to watch those migs taking off with thunderous roar.
Welcome Sukhoi30mki. Keep our skys safe.

i miss the MiG-21s, atleast i could see them when they practice over my farms, these Sukhois fly too high i can only hear them :(

Nice! I wonder,whether they'll have a new name for the Squadron or will they take up the name of the MiG-21 unit they are replacing!

Squadrons usually retain their name when they get new aircraft

New Squadron name - "CHUBBY CHICKS" (of Chabua)

Just kidding guys.. aaj koi customer nahi mila, to yaha aa ke TP kariya hoon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom