What's new

Afghan Crisis Grows as Push to Retake Kunduz Falters

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
This in on The New York Times -- I guess it may be true that the first counterattack has failed.

Article here, excerpts below:

KABUL, Afghanistan — A day after Afghan government forces ceded control of the Kunduz provincial capital to the Taliban within a few hours, the promised counterattack also appeared to be falling apart, as the insurgents on Tuesday night began advancing against security forces who were trying to rally at the airport outside the city.

Officials and local elders in Kunduz said they had yet to see all but a few of the promised government reinforcements. Even as the government reported that some of the forces had begun arriving at the airport, most appeared to be delayed on the roads to Kunduz city by ambushes and roadside bombs, local officials said.

As the crisis for President Ashraf Ghani’s government and its security forces deepened on Tuesday, he sought to assure the Afghan public that the push to win back Kunduz would succeed. Despite reports that a rout was underway in the major northern city, he insisted that it was more a matter of restraint by his security forces than of failure.

The hospitals in Kunduz city were overwhelmed with the flow of wounded, although the number of dead from the two days of fighting remained unclear. The main trauma center, run by Doctors Without Borders, had received 171 wounded, including 46 children, many of them in critical condition with gunshot wounds.

But the looting of institutions and businesses continued, including the United Nations regional branch, the Afghan intelligence agency’s provincial office, two radio stations and a number of car dealerships. Even broken-down cars were being towed out of dealerships, residents said. A vault at the central bank’s Kunduz branch was blown up early Tuesday morning, residents said.

“The Taliban are strolling around freely like this is their home,” said Ghulam Rabbani Rabbani, a member of the Kunduz provincial council, who like many Kunduz officials had retreated to the airport but was in touch with residents. “They took a lot of weapons from the intelligence agency’s office, weapons that were stocked for arming pro-government militias. We fear that there was cash and vehicles also.”

"arming pro-government militias"

See, that's another problem. They should be arming the the local police and the army, to prioritize recruitment, but instead give so much power to these militias that are corrupt, and just as bad as the taliban, if not worse.

There are sooooo many things wrong here. It's a miracle that the Afghan government is even functioning at all.

"arming pro-government militias"

See, that's another problem. They should be arming the the local police and the army, to prioritize recruitment, but instead give so much power to these militias that are corrupt, and just as bad as the taliban, if not worse.

There are sooooo many things wrong here. It's a miracle that the Afghan government is even functioning at all.
You honestly think that the Police and ANA is NOT as corrupt as the militias?

To be honest it is wide known that Kunduz would be taken over by ANA as Taliban has captured the city far away from their Traditional strongholds in South and north East but on the other hand Kunduz is the lone Pashtun Majority City in whole of North Afghanistan so Holding this City is going to be a good Idea anyways so if Talis are smart then they would take whatever they salvage from here and leave the city within few days and concentrate on pushing back ANA in rural Parts while preparing for another massive operation against them later. Now this situation would going to be a biggest test for ANA in the future as Taliban has become a force to recon with.

To be honest it is wide known that Kunduz would be taken over by ANA as Taliban has captured the city far away from their Traditional strongholds in South and north East but on the other hand Kunduz is the lone Pashtun Majority City in whole of North Afghanistan so Holding this City is going to be a good Idea anyways so if Talis are smart then they would take whatever they salvage from here and leave the city within few days and concentrate on pushing back ANA in rural Parts while preparing for another massive operation against them later. Now this situation would going to be a biggest test for ANA in the future as Taliban has become a force to recon with.

I don't know what Taliban is today, what I do know is hashish smoking armies, never win anything.

I don't know what Taliban is today, what I do know is hashish smoking armies, never win anything.
Whatever Taliban today is but one thing is for sure when they go they would left a huge vacuum in Afghanistan for other jihadis to fulfill. Peace negotiation was the best bet for Afghans to control this madness but they Screw it up by releasing Mullah Umer death news.

They're fighting against pedophile "bacha-baaz" Afghans. The US-installed govt is crumbling now that the US is gone and no longer propping them up. Westernized Afghans are reaping what they sowed. Soviet-installed Najibullah govt also went the same way.

But it is surprising that the govt has started to loose major cities this soon. Soviet-installed govt held out a bit better. But when the Afg govt can't tackle it's problems, Pakistan is a convenient scapegoat to peg all the blame on. I imagine we're gonna hear alot more whining&blaming in the coming days/months/years. Like Kunduz is way up in Northern Afghanistan, allegedly Pak-supported Haqqani group doesn't have anything to do with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom