What's new

Afghan Photos

It is in parts, in others it just looks... dirty I suppose would be the best word to describe it.

Sorta describes the difference between Helmand and Konar. Konar under the lens of any camera is magical.

Helmand is, well...brown. Pretty damned lush at eyeball level, it seems, down in the green-zones.

Then there's a general pre-bronze age feel to all of it. Antiquity minus the high art.:lol:

As rugged, shiny scenery goes, we have the sweet end of the deal in the east. Nuristan, Konar, Nangahar, and Khost just really, really remind me of a LOT of places where I've gone fishing in our west.

Remarkable series of photos from the other side-

Recent Scenes From Afghanistan

S-2, you rock buddy, thanx for the stunnig pics

5 pics caught my attention 24, 25, 26, 34 and 35, i hope that the soldiers who have fallen in this war rest in peace and God give their families the courage to overcome this difficult time they are facing with a loss of a loved one, same goes to the innocent people of Afghanistan who lost their lives in this war.

I hope this war is over soon, and Afghanistan, America and Pakistan see the good days again and have peace in their respective Nations forever.:pakistan:

Nice work S-2:usflag:

Sweet words to cherish sohailbutt.

Your region holds some very special and beautiful people whom I hope will see the light of a better day soon.

Thank you.

Good grief.

It's not the technologicial scenery or the great architectural feats that makes Afghanistan stand out. It's the scenery, it's raw, it's untouched by modern day industrial trash, and it's got spectaular views mainly due to the elevated nature of its terrain.

I sincerely hope they're monitoriing any DU there, because it's a place of rugged beauty.

It is in parts, in others it just looks... dirty I suppose would be the best word to describe it.

Sorta describes the difference between Helmand and Konar. Konar under the lens of any camera is magical.

Helmand is, well...brown. Pretty damned lush at eyeball level, it seems, down in the green-zones.

Then there's a general pre-bronze age feel to all of it. Antiquity minus the high art.:lol:

As rugged, shiny scenery goes, we have the sweet end of the deal in the east. Nuristan, Konar, Nangahar, and Khost just really, really remind me of a LOT of places where I've gone fishing in our west.

You should see it in the winter, not the nicest of places to look at at times.

You may have some of the nicer scenery but you also get some of the horrible terrain to work in that goes with it. The work those soldiers are doing out in some very harsh areas really does earn my admiration. Harder land than what we had to deal with by a long margin.

Last edited:
"You should see it in the winter, not the nicest of places to look at at times."

I imagine not. Dirt-poor little villages amidst a dreary grey landscape. Certainly not the city of lights.

The worst terrain in the world is the stuff you happen to be on at the moment, especially if somebody is shooting at you.

I've a lot of respect for our guys. They're learning a new meaning to the word "mountaingoat", that's for sure. The desert, though (and you know this), brings it's own set of very killing challenges to soldiers. Your guys are knee-deep in one of the world's largest.

Further, it's my suspicion that your vehicles just absolutely get the sh!t kicked out of them by the terrain.

Can't seem to see the pic's for some damn reason !!

Good to see that S-2 can also post un-controversial material. Well done.

The Raw beauty has a mesmerizing effect and a wish for peace eternal is born.

How unfortunate that the people in this rugged and tough terrain have been subjected to War, War and more War in the last few decades.

There is only so much of the blood of Adam that a land can soak before it too starts to rot.
May we all see the light pierce the darkness and may we see it soon.

Thanks Stevie for the wonderful pictures, they do stir many emotions.

"You should see it in the winter, not the nicest of places to look at at times."

I imagine not. Dirt-poor little villages amidst a dreary grey landscape. Certainly not the city of lights.

The worst terrain in the world is the stuff you happen to be on at the moment, especially if somebody is shooting at you.

I've a lot of respect for our guys. They're learning a new meaning to the word "mountaingoat", that's for sure. The desert, though (and you know this), brings it's own set of very killing challenges to soldiers. Your guys are knee-deep in one of the world's largest.

Further, it's my suspicion that your vehicles just absolutely get the sh!t kicked out of them by the terrain.

The heat can be a killer, when weighed down with all your kit, armour and every other piece of crap you carry. Which would be enough itself before you add in 'whites of their eyes' ambushes, suicide bombers of all varieties, mines and IED's. Makes Arctic warfare training seem desirable.

You should see what the Pathfinder Platoons have to deal with down in the south, a bunch of Jackals (these days) stuck out on their own in some very bad terrain. I was talking to one Para who was with some of them and according to him at one point almost half of the trucks were pulling another as they had fallen victim to the land, add to that all the other sh!t they had to deal with, (not hard to guess what), and it made for an interesting time apparently.

Some vehicle is always broken down there it seems. Lot of axles busted.:agree: We always seem to be recovering some vehicle there while under fire.

Damned annoying work.:rolleyes:

Some vehicle is always broken down there it seems. Lot of axles busted.:agree: We always seem to be recovering some vehicle there while under fire.

Damned annoying work.:rolleyes:

We didn't have any real trouble with our vehicles in Iraq or Afghanistan, although we didn't use them nearly as much in the Stan. Mechanical trouble that is, we can't always be lucky.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom