PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Afghan refugees in UAE protest at halt to US relocation process

Reuters
10 Feb, 2022

620536267899f.jpg

DUBAI: Hundreds of Afghans have launched a rare protest at a Gulf facility where they have been housed since fleeing their homeland last year, holding banners pleading for freedom and demanding to be sent to the United States.

Thousands of Afghans were last year evacuated to the United Arab Emirates on behalf of the United States and other Western countries amid the chaotic US-led withdrawal from Afghanistan and return to power of the Taliban movement.

The UAE agreed to provide Afghans with temporary housing until their applications for relocation could be processed and they could travel onwards to third countries.

Six months later, however, many are still in the UAE in tightly controlled facilities.

6205362459744.jpg

Men, women and children demonstrated on Thursday inside an Abu Dhabi facility, calling on Washington to welcome them to their second home, photos sent to Reuters by one of the protesters showed.

"When we were evacuated, the (department) of defence had the control of the (Kabul) airport. No one came by themselves," another sign read.

Similar photos and videos were widely shared on social media.

A protester who shared the photos, and another protester, both of whom declined to be named, said the rally was triggered after many Afghans there lost hope that they would ever go to the United States.

One of those protesters told Reuters by phone that some Afghans were detained by Emirati authorities as demonstrations began.

6205362649249.jpg

The Emirati government and the US Embassy in Abu Dhabi did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
"People are being held captive here," the first protester said, describing conditions in the facilities as prison-like.

It is unclear how many Afghans are still being housed in the UAE, which in September said it had evacuated 9,000 Afghan nationals who were on their way to third countries.

6205362594054.jpg

Ahmad Mohibi, a former US counter-terrorism adviser in Afghanistan who has assisted those fleeing Afghanistan, said there have been no flights to the United States from the UAE for evacuees since late November, and that some Afghans were now threatening to launch a hunger strike in protest.

"There is no transparency," Mohibi said, criticising Washington's process for the Afghan refugees.

Using kids to get attention.

Will you look at the Accommodations they've been provided...

Well Constructed (NEW) Buildings with Water/Electricity all paid for by the Government. Perhaps they need to see footage & images of what their fellow Afghans have been facing in Military Camps in the US.

Someone outta send them images of Refugees in Greece & Jordan/Syria border.
@Abu Dhabi

It's crazy how low the afghans have fallen as a people, all because of their crazy ethnocentric extremism

They will drive themselves into the dirt, when all they had to do was respect their neighbors borders and as friends ask for open easy borders so common people could trade and know each other

But lar aur bar poison was drilled into their heads and they became toxic and ended up destroying themselves

Using kids to get attention.

Will you look at the Accommodations they've been provided...

Well Constructed (NEW) Buildings with Water/Electricity all paid for by the Government. Perhaps they need to see footage & images of what their fellow Afghans have been facing in Military Camps in the US.

Someone outta send them images of Refugees in Greece & Jordan/Syria border.
@Abu Dhabi

everything is free , and i am happy to see the kids are in good health. Clean, not thin and in clean clothes and clean hair

i do not blame them since there is no hope for them in the UAE to become citizens , but they can become citizens in the super power America , so ...

everything is free , and i am happy to see the kids are in good health. Clean, not thin and in clean clothes and clean hair

i do not blame them since there is no hope for them in the UAE to become citizens , but they can become citizens in the super power America , so ...
How come so many of them landed in UAE. Did US promise them to give US legal status ? .. UAE should send them back to Afghanistan. Taliban now behaving much better and lots of job opportunities in different fields.

You'd be amazed at the number of Ariana Afghan & Kam Air flights arriving in Dubai.

Because they've been taken in as refugees from a somewhat War torn country, the UAE is taking it easy on their so called 'Protest'.

Trust me, one thing i've learned living here for decades is that the UAE is not a fan of theatrics in form of Strikes & Protests which makes this place peaceful.

I was here when the Gulf War broke out in 1990-1991 & how Kuwaiti's were accommodated under the leadership of Sheikh Zayed. The crap they pulled was on another level, but it was temp too.

Not sure if the US is gonna take all of 'em, but if i'm not mistaken they are to be relocated in different Countries in Europe too.

Don’t generalize a whole group of people for the actions of one. There are many innocent refugees amongst those afghan refugees. Islam teaches us better then to act like this. Have some humanity.

@The Eagle @Foxtrot Alpha

First world is only interested to inject their own style of democracy, enforce it regardless of cultural differences but choose not to help over the crises. Conclusively, the main agenda is to create crises so people can kill themselves while fighting each other. That is the only core reason & explanation to install western/US style democracy.

There were no repatriation flights from Syria, Iraq, Yemen, South Sudan etc. Afghans have been fed with more charity than all of those countries combined.
This is why they are spoiled and think every problem of theirs is for someone else to solve.

I know this feeling. I truly do. I moved from Texas to NY with zero regrets, and I love it here. In the beginning, I was scared to move because I was leaving my family behind and all those memories... and also I was concerned about moving my stuff. A friend of mine who moved 3 years ago to NY told me to call these guys https://calgarymoverspro.ca. It was the best advice I could get because if I hadn't reached them, my stuff would've been delivered unprofessionally, and I could probably get robbed. But thanks to them, everything arrived in place and was wrapped in related materials so that they won't get scratched. I think you should go for the best moving companies in calgary

I know this feeling. I truly do. I moved from Texas to NY with zero regrets, and I love it here. In the beginning, I was scared to move because I was leaving my family behind and all those memories... and also I was concerned about moving my stuff. A friend of mine who moved 3 years ago to NY told me to call best moving companies in calgary https://calgarymoversprо.ca. It was the best advice I could get because if I hadn't reached them, my stuff would've been delivered unprofessionally, and I could probably get robbed. But thanks to them, everything arrived in place and was wrapped in related materials so that they won't get scratched. I think you should go for the best moving companies in calgary
I had an almost similar experience in moving. At first I was hesitant to contact such services, but over time I realized that it was a very good way to simplify the situation and save time. I was worried all the way for the furniture so it would not be scratched in transit, but fortunately all went well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom