What's new

Afghanistan Joins Railroad Era _ 100 Years Late

Indian railway has also been losing its share of India's transport market. Today, 90% of India's passenger traffic and 65% of its freight operations use road transportation, according to World Bank.

I will tell you why... because people can afford better road transportation these days. Also, a lot of transportation has become aerial with short routes offered such as Chennai to Trichy or for that matter Nagpur to Mumbai or even Delhi to Chandigarh or Leh to Srinagar and Bagdogra to Guwahati etc.

That's played a huge role in Railways facing competition. Still overwhelming amount of people travel by railways.

Indian Railway is second most widely used Railways after Japan carrying 8 billion passengers in 2010, for china it is just some 1.7 billion. Means Indian railway is being widely used and still have huge passengers. Plus the investment in Rapid System in India will attract more passengers towards Metro Trains and Monorail. Delhi Metro is highly successful.

Regarding freight side, government is not relying solely on railways, for that we constructed expressway quality Golden Quadrilateral highway and North-South East-west highway.

You mention about dedicated freighy corridor, let me add further information that Delhi-Mumbai DFC also include increasing speed to 200km/hr or 160 mi/hr for passenger traffic.

Even there is high class road, I would always prefer train for long distance journey in comparison to bus because it is cheaper, have toilets, spacious, provide bed to sleep.

Let me share with you what issues Indian transportation customers in need of a reliable, modern supply chain are facing. Here are excerpts of a 2011 Reuters' story:

Seven years ago, when India's Future Group retail giant sent shipments from Mumbai on the country's west coast to Kolkata in the north-east, the products took 10 nervous days to arrive.

"You sent the goods, and until you received them, you just prayed," said Anshuman Singh, managing director and chief executive officer of Future Supply Chains. "There was just a black hole until they finally reached the destination."

Since then, he has wrestled with shoddy roads, minimal cold storage capacity and a myriad of state regulations and taxes to cut the journey to 72 hours. That challenge is all to come for foreign retailers eyeing a slice of India's $450 billion market.

Major cities in Asia's third-largest economy are thousands of miles apart, connected by pot-holed and clogged roads or creaking railways where wagons are in short supply.

Global giants such as Wal-Mart may be eager to start selling their wares to 1.2 billion people, but a need to first tackle India's logistical headaches will likely mean they will be heavily dependent on local expertise.
-----------
At 4 a.m. every day, hundreds of vegetable traders begin to pack the pavements of one of Mumbai's trunk roads. Hours later, milling retail customers and piles of pungent produce bring three lanes of traffic to a halt in the morning sunshine.

Mounds of potatoes lie inches from the tyres of trucks and cars trundling past, as traders dodge commuters to carry sacks of coriander and boxes of cabbages on their shoulders through clouds of exhaust fumes and the stench of ******* produce.

Around 30 percent of India's vast fruit and vegetable production goes to waste due to a traditional supply network that uses hand-pulled wooden carts more than refrigerated freight wagons and keeps fresh produce highly regionalised.

"India cannot be seen as easy," Viney Singh, managing director of Max Hypermarkets, a six-year old local supermarket chain with a licence from European retailer Spar told Reuters.

"There are some players that have been in the retail business for more than 10 years, and til date there is no hypermarket player that has made any money."

The chaos of Mumbai's Dadar market is a universe away from Future Supply Chain's chilled 125,000 square foot (11,600 sq metre) warehouse 50 km (30 miles) from the city, where fork-lifts move crates on shelves rising up to the 17 metre-high (53-foot) roof, and 150 workers feed hundreds of metres of computer-controlled conveyor belts.

"Retail is all about filling the shelves, on time, every time," said Future Supply Chain's Singh.

"In India, the technical know-how, expertise... requires a lot of learning, it is not common knowledge here."

RPT-India supply chain chaos next hurdle for global retailers | Reuters

yes for me......railway's locals are lifeline for my attendance at college

delhi metro for me :agree:
imgres

Riaz Haq, we are talking about Railways in Afghanistan. Still I will answer your queries.

Regarding Railways I think it has issues but not massive like Pakistan , Indian Railways have two main issues:- Modernization-Expansion(increasing population) and safety. Our trains are still fully used by passengers and we need to get train seat reserved in advance otherwise we eon't get seat, in India we mostly travel in Volvo Buses(like your Daewoo buses) when Train ticket never got confirmed or available. Since passenger traffic is 8 billion,so freight side is delayed and that's why they went for dedicated freight corridor(separate freight lines) which will be completed in coming 3-4yrs. Plus flight tickets are getting more affordable creating healthy competition for railways.

Railways in talks with French firm to modernize infrastructure - The Times of India

Panel Suggests Rs.800,000 Crore Railways Modernization Plan
And for improving transport in cities we have this and Bombardier has a Metro Rail Manufacturing unit in Gujarat.

Rapid transit in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 12th five year plan from 2012-2017, $1 Trillion or 10% of GDP/year will be invested in infrastructure modernization.

http://www.bizindia.net/news/News.asp?newsID=337&catID=58

in 1998 a project was started known as National Highway Development Project to construct 45,000 km of high quality Highway started.

National Highways Development Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

China should build a railway from Kabul to China since China has a border with Afghanistan. It is going to be challenging to make it technically, since it is all mountains but once built it is going to give benefits for centuries to come.

yes for me......railway's locals are lifeline for my attendance at college
i mean from station to home:D
even i go to colg by train

I use Bus or auto here but Construction of Hyderabad Metro is going in full swing and I have seen construction going on many parts of the Hyderabad city. But there are blue-colored local trains here but not passing through the areas I mostly visit.
where do u stay buddy?

No. Our trains fly.

Don't know about indian trains if they fly or not but the people who traveling in those indian rails, their souls do fly when a trail collides with other.

BTW this thread needs cleanup, the thread was about Afghan railways & trolls from india dragged india here too as they do in every thread. Everywhere these trolls doing india india, we all know what india is in reality so don't try to advertise india cheaply. I'm looking forward towards Mods & hopeful they will take strict notice against trolls.

No thast the place for Hindu Extremist to kill Jews like they did in the MUmbia attacks.

SOme time ago I read, now thats going back say 10 years that they had an Idea to build a rail road from Turkey to Iran to Afgnistan all they way to PAkistan.

A rail link is sure advantage for the Afgan people.

No thast the place for Hindu Extremist to kill Jews like they did in the MUmbia attacks.

SOme time ago read now thast goping back say 10 years that they had an Idea to build a rail road from Turkey to Iran Afgnistan all they way to PAkistan ?

i guess,attackers were pakistanis:P

Back
Top Bottom