What's new

Afghans throng Torkham to enter Pakistan

Sal12

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KHYBER: Thousands of Afghans made a beeline for Torkham border crossing early on Friday morning when the news about resumption of cross-border pedestrian movement spread in most parts of the neighbouring country.

Sources in Torkham told Dawn that the number of aspiring Afghans was so high that Pakistani authorities had to deploy additional security personnel to prevent crowding and panic at the border crossing.

It was also learnt that the Afghan Taliban made repeated announcements on loudspeakers to its ‘unruly’ nationals to avoid congestion at the border crossing and let only those, who needed the most, cross over to Pakistan.

However, the announcements fell on deaf ears as the Afghans made desperate bids to get online visa for Pakistan.

Bilal, a 28-year-old resident of Laghman province in Afghanistan, told Dawn that he got online visa on Friday morning after spending a sleepless night near the border crossing.

He said the number of people, including women, children and the elderly, was so high on the Afghan side of the border that it was literally impossible for both the Afghan and Pakistani authorities to entertain everyone’s request for visa.

Abdullah, a resident of Nangarhar province, also said he reached Pakistan after getting visa online.

He said though majority of Afghans welcomed the resumption of pedestrian movement via Torkham border, it would take the authorities weeks and months on both sides of the border to clear the ‘waiting lot’ as Afghans had started reaching Torkham in large numbers after learning about the border reopening for ordinary people.

Pakistani officials also confirmed crowding on the border and said security clearance was meticulous and painstakingly slow.

They said only 801 from among thousands of aspiring Afghans were allowed to enter Pakistan on Friday.

Independent sources told Dawn that the clearance process on the border zero point was so strict that even infants above the age of two months with no visa were not allowed and their parents were returned despite having online visas.

They added that moving scenes were witnessed when family members were separated from each other as some had visas, while the others had yet to obtain it.

Meanwhile, the Torkham Labour Union ended a strike and withdrew the call for a road blockade announced for Oct 25 to press the government for the resumption of pedestrian movement and restoration of their jobs.

Union president Farmanullah Shinwari told Dawn that the strike was called off after the border reopening for pedestrian movement.

He said the union hoped that the manual jobs of workers would be restored.

Mr Shinwari said around 8,000 daily wagers and porters alongside over 3,000 taxi drivers lost work after Pakistan announced the closure of the border for pedestrian movement in early May to stem the spread of coronavirus from Afghanistan.

He said he hoped that those workers would reclaim livelihood after the complete restoration of pedestrian movement on both sides of the border.

After the visit of FM to Afghanistan this week, Pak has relaxed rules for Afghan to enter Pakistan. Pak even cannot stand firm against Taliban.

The other day I heard some Pushtoon minister of Pakistan talking about Afghanistan, as if Pakistan is solely responsible for helping Afghan people and the Afghans are not responsible to do anything for themselves.

Likewise we Biharis fought and died for Pakistan but hundreds of thousands of our Keith and kin are still stuck in Bangladesh after 50 years. They all had Pakistani nationality and Government of Pakistan refused to accept them.

So Afghans being Pushtoons despite not having Pakistans nationality and being of no good to Pakistan, and hating Pakistan, can use Pakistan as their own.
But we were left stranded I'm Bangladesh and those of us who made it to Pakistan, still get treated like trash anywhere in Pakistan.

The other day I heard some Pushtoon minister of Pakistan talking about Afghanistan, as if Pakistan is solely responsible for helping Afghan people and the Afghans are not responsible to do anything for themselves.

Likewise we Biharis fought and died for Pakistan but hundreds of thousands of our Keith and kin are still stuck in Bangladesh after 50 years. They all had Pakistani nationality and Government of Pakistan refused to accept them.

So Afghans being Pushtoons despite not having Pakistans nationality and being of no good to Pakistan, and hating Pakistan, can use Pakistan as their own.
But we were left stranded I'm Bangladesh and those of us who made it to Pakistan, still get treated like trash anywhere in Pakistan.
I share your pain about Bihari’s. I wish they all return back to Pakistan but one reason for all this Afghan traffic is the land border with Pakistan while our Bihari brethren are 4000 kms away. One of the reason why we lost the war with Bangladesh. I am not belittling the Bengali struggle just highlighting geographic facts.

I share your pain about Bihari’s. I wish they all return back to Pakistan but one reason for all this Afghan traffic is the land border with Pakistan while our Bihari brethren are 4000 kms away. One of the reason why we lost the war with Bangladesh. I am not belittling the Bengali struggle just highlighting geographic facts.
The problem is not just political but also people of Pakistan.
UN agreed to charter planes for Bringing Biharis , but no area of Pakistan accepted them. Because we are dark skin , not at all "gora looking " people.
Afghan being Caucasian looking, more clearer skin, are more "gora like " and are accepted in all areas of Pakistan.
Pakistani obsession with "chatti chamri" is a big problem.
I don't face such problems in UK, despite living in an all all white area. I do face racism , but it's not much different from what I used to face in NWFP Pakistan , where I was born.

Last edited:
The problem is not just political but also people of Pakistan.
UN agreed to charter planes for Bringing Biharis , but no area of Pakistan accepted them. Because we are dark skin , not at all "gora looking " people.
Afghan being Caucasian looking, more clearer skin, are more "gora like " and are accepted in all areas of Pakistan.

The biggest benefit that Afghans have in Pakistan is the presence of Pashtuns in this country. They will always have soft corner for afghans.

We , the hindustani muslamans are alien race ... You will not find much support among the ethnic population of Pakistan. A lot of them actually prefer we never came. Good thing you left the country.

Pakistan is so weak that can't take a stand against some savages of Afghanistan.
Luckily I left such a weakling country long ago.

Then why u r here lecturing us and uttering ur crap? Go and give ur valuable advise to ur new masters and forgive us.

Pakistan have stakes in Afghanistan and the current regime and will do everything to help them succeed. If the govt becomes stable, all the afghan refugees would leave.
Also its not one way traffic, Pakistanis will be populating Afghanistan once situation settles and our population is way larger than Afghanistan.

The biggest benefit that Afghans have in Pakistan is the presence of Pashtuns in this country. They will always have soft corner for afghans.

We , the hindustani muslamans are alien race ... You will not find much support among the ethnic population of Pakistan. A lot of them actually prefer we never came. Good thing you left the country.

So you ate now leading a much worst life than indian Muslims in modi's india?......... :disagree:

You could always go live with the hindutva and be beaten like a dog every day like Indian Muslims
Pakistan is primarily responsible for what is happening to muslims in India.

Everyday indian muslims pay for the price of freedom Pakistanis enjoy.

They are paying for their own stupidity, same as the afghans

You could always go live with the hindutva and be beaten like a dog every day like Indian Muslims

They are paying for their own stupidity, same as the afghans

Ah , rich coming from someone with dual flags.

Anyways , enjoy your freedom and Thank God everyday that you were not born on either side of the border. People who haven't suffered a single day generally have very big mouths.

Ah , rich coming from someone with dual flags.

Anyways , enjoy your freedom and Thank God everyday that you were not born on either side of the border. People who haven't suffered a single day generally have very big mouths.

I come to Pakistan all the time

You people can always go and live like beaten dogs in India, the years where Altaf supporters used to pretend a united India would be some paradise is long long gone,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom