What's new

Ahead of U.S.-China trade talks, Xi writes to Trump

F-22Raptor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
President Trump said on Thursday he had received “a beautiful letter” from Chinese President Xi Jinping and may speak to him by phone, though Trump did not say whether that would occur before a scheduled increase in tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods takes effect at 12:01 a.m. Friday.

The president said Xi’s message was: “Let’s work together. Let’s see if we can get something done.”

Robert E. Lighthizer, the chief U.S. trade negotiator, is scheduled to meet at 5 p.m. Thursday with Chinese Vice Premier Liu He to continue negotiations aimed at a comprehensive deal.

Those talks had been proceeding smoothly, with U.S. officials predicting a final accord could be agreed to as soon as this week.

But China last weekend angered the president by trying to water down its commitments, according to Lighthizer. Chinese officials balked at specifying in the agreement which laws would be amended to address U.S. concerns over forced technology transfer and intellectual property protection, U.S. officials said.

“The vice premier is coming here today. We were getting very close to a deal, and then they started to renegotiate the deal. We can’t have that,” the president said, following a White House event on preventing surprise medical bills. “It was their idea to come back.”

Trump said he expected “a very strong day” at the negotiating table, but added “our alternative is an excellent one,” an apparent reference to the tariff increase.

China has vowed to retaliate “in kind” if the president proceeds with the increase to 25 percent from 10 percent on $200 billion in Chinese products.

Along with the increase scheduled for Friday, the president has also threatened to extend tariffs to all $540 billion in annual Chinese imports.

The president frequently boasts about the revenue the federal government receives from higher tariffs, a tax increase that is paid by U.S. importers.

Though most economists say such a broadening of the trade conflict would inflict serious damage on both economies, the president insists his tariffs helped the U.S. economy grow at a 3.2 percent annual rate in the first quarter.

“I’m different than a lot of people . . . I happen to think that tariffs for our country are very valuable,” Trump said.

On Wall Street, the Dow Jones industrial average was down more than 180 points, or 0.7 percent, in early afternoon trading.

Chinese retaliation could take the trans-Pacific relationship into potentially dangerous territory, according to Chris Krueger, an analyst with Cowen Washington Research Group.

During the past year of tit-for-tat tariff exchanges, China has imposed tariffs on all but $10 billion of its purchases from the U.S.

To keep pace with Trump’s planned escalation, Beijing may use other weapons, including state-backed boycotts of American products, tighter customs inspections and intensified tax audits of U.S. companies, Krueger said.

The economic and political fallout from such steps “are a lot harder to predict and prone to accident,” he added.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...db6f10-727f-11e9-9eb4-0828f5389013_story.html

The desperation is real LOL...Xi needs to bring his punk a$$ back to Washington. Cold Big Macs are waiting :rofl:

Rosner-Fast-Food-Trump.jpg

@SBUS-CXK @beijingwalker @TaiShang @Feng Leng @Char @Beast

The desperation is real LOL...Xi needs to bring his punk a$$ back to Washington. Cold Big Macs are waiting :rofl:

Rosner-Fast-Food-Trump.jpg

@SBUS-CXK @beijingwalker @TaiShang @Feng Leng @Char @Beast

The desperation is indeed real for Trump since China vowed to retaliate in case of Trump's tariff escalation, it's Trump last hope before any meanful trade war begin; President Xi did mentioned clearly that "let work together" on his lovely letter :lol:, he didn't said "Let work for America"...LMAO

Trump is just like Mr. nobody who like to make a self-talking trying to get attention while President Xi didn't even bother to say anything about America but forcus on more relevant issues.

The desperation is indeed real for Trump since China vowed to retaliate in case of Trump's tariff escalation, it's Trump last hope before any meanful trade war begin; President Xi did mentioned clearly that "let work together" on his lovely letter :lol:, he didn't said "Let work for America"...LMAO

Trump is just like Mr. nobody who like to make a self-talking trying to get attention while President Xi didn't even bother to say anything about America but forcus on more relevant issues.
A beautiful letter again...take a look of this video:

I do not think he is of Vietnamese origin. Never commented anything about Vietnamese.

A lot of white American here on this forum for sure.

About the war between China and the US, let's see who will blink first. As usual, I believe China will have the last laugh.

CN is dying, no suprise, in 2018, we predicted that CN in chaos in 2023 cos CN is usless, coward nation :cool:

Btw, CN investors who have money r fleeing to VN, willing to pay VN engineer 4,000-8,000usd/ month and keep begging for protection :cool:

Last edited:
CN is dying, no suprise, in 2018, we predicted that CN in chaos in 2023 cos CN is usless, coward nation :cool:

Btw, CN investors who have money r fleeing to VN, willing to pay VN engineer 4,000-8,000usd/ month and keep begging for protection :cool:
Long time no see, buddy. Did you go to trade your women to the Chinese?

I do not think he is of Vietnamese origin. Never commented anything about Vietnamese.

A lot of white American here on this forum for sure.

About the war between China and the US, let's see who will blink first. As usual, I believe China will have the last laugh.

Can't be sure about that.
We China can't afford a total relation deterioration with US, in my opinion, though US would also lose hugely.
The deal will be made, we will blink first. Our laws will be amended according to US requirement, compromises will be made. Never mind, but I really hope Xi could learn deeply from it - hide your capabilities, bide your time. Reason? Simple, we are yet strong enough.

Xi was really not a smart guy. 4-5 years ago, when he started to talk too loud, think and act too much, I had predicted that we might get punched somehow somewhere soon. Remember all the bold words about AIIB? Belt and Road? "Strong country" series? Remove term limit for presidency? Frequent military parades? "a Community of Shared Future for Mankind"? "Leading role on globel warming / environment protection career?" ...

Too loud.

Come on... Let's keep do more talk less, and do quietly for another 20-30 years please!

Long time no see, buddy. Did you go to trade your women to the Chinese?
Hi buddy, u know many rich Cnese ladies r fleeing to VN to avoid being raped by US now, we r thinking abt looting and selling them to some brothels in our brother Camb-Laoz :lol:

Back
Top Bottom