India

Tatas appoint new CEO & MD for Air India​

Special Correspondent
Mumbai February 14, 2022 16:28 IST
Updated: February 14, 2022 17:40 IST
Ilker Ayci

Ilker Ayci | Photo Credit: Special Arrangement

Ilker Ayci was the Chairman of Turkish Airlines​

Tata Sons has announced that Ilker Ayci has been appointed the CEO & MD of Air India.
The Air India board met this afternoon to consider the candidature of Mr. Ayci.

N. Chandrasekaran, Chairman of Tata Sons, was a special invitee to this board meeting. The board after due deliberations approved the appointment of Mr. Ayci as the CEO & MD of Air India. This appointment is subject to requisite regulatory approvals.
Until very recently, Mr. Ayci, was the Chairman of Turkish Airlines and he was on the board of the company prior to that.
Mr. Chandrasekaran, said, “Ilker is an aviation industry leader who led Turkish Airlines to its current success during his tenure there. We are delighted to welcome Ilker to the Tata Group where he would lead Air India into the new era.”
Mr. Ayci was born in Istanbul in 1971. He is 1994 alumni of Bilkent University’s Department of Political Science and Public Administration. After a research stay on political science at the Leeds University in the UK in 1995, he completed an International Relations Master’s program at the Marmara University in Istanbul in 1997.
Mr. Ayci, said, “I am delighted and honored to accept the privilege of leading an iconic airline and to join the Tata Group. Working closely with my colleagues at Air India and the leadership of the Tata Group, we will utilize the strong heritage of Air India to make it one of the best airlines in the world with a uniquely superior flying experience that reflects Indian warmth and hospitality.”

Mr. Ayci will assume his responsibilities on or before April 1, 2022.

Hope Air India will find the freedom to refactor their staff numbers without too much hurdles from the infamous unions in the organization. If the per employee productivity of this airline is raised to be at par with international standards, then Air India should become profitable considering the strength of Indian diaspora :cheers:

I’m more than happy Indian Airlines is out of Government’s hands and back with Tata. One of the best things done by GoI.

Privatisation of many more non-strategic PSUs is necessary.

Turkish Airlines is a great carrier. Have flown on it 4 times and every time it was good. But more importantly the way they have expanded their network and made Istanbul an aviation hub rivalling Dubai, is really really impressive. If he can bring even half of that success to Air India, it will be an achievement.

The CEO should be supported by a strong team of professionals.who understand Indian aviation industry. As a foreigner it would take him few months or years to understand our industry.

As of now I believe his tasks is to improve the service and reduce the flap, retraining etc. After that full throttle to profit. AI planes are old. Need refurbishment.

The core team, which made Turkish airlines a world brand, has largely spread to the world. In fact, Temel Kotil, who is currently the general manager of TAI, was the team leader of Turkish Airlines until 2016.

Based on what I've read, the problem with Air India started when MMS decided that Air India will buy 100 planes from Boeing. This decision was made in a quid quo pro deal for George Bush that allowed for India's civil nuclear deal with US.

Essentially, Indian gov. slaughtered Air India like a goat for civil nuclear deal :laugh:

Based on what I've read, the problem with Air India started when MMS decided that Air India will buy 100 planes from Boeing. This decision was made in a quid quo pro deal for George Bush that allowed for India's civil nuclear deal with US.

Essentially, Indian gov. slaughtered Air India like a goat for civil nuclear deal :laugh:

There is truth in this. That decision has led to a lot of inefficiencies in training and hiring. For instance, AI used Airbus 320s for AI and Boeing 737s for AI Express. This makes no sense. Every single aircraft added of the same type adds to efficiency. For regional routes they used ATRs (though inherited from the miserable Alliance Air) and their own Bombardier CRJs, again complicating their lives. Their fleet is a total mess, a mad medly like their contrasting corporate cultures inside

good hopefully he will be succesfull and make us proud

Not exactly. The unscientific merging of Indian Airlines and Air India resulted in that. Our planes were old back in 2004-2006. New planes were required. BA or Airbus have strong maintenance set ups.

AI service was better back then. Unscientific merging resulted in this mess.

Good move for Air India. Turkish Airlines offer an excellent service. If he can replicate thier success it will be great for Indian travellers.

We need to do the same for PIA - privatise.

Back
Top Bottom