What's new

Air-To-Air Missiles | Command of the air.

Rvv-SD,
Excellent range, all aspect AAM, under intense electronic counter measure, folding fins ability to be carried internally

Problem is that the baseline is still untested in combat.
So you dont have a gauging point... looks better on paper(possibly not better than the SD-10B on paper.. but again.. on paper :azn:).
Like the AIM-7Q.. supposed to be a dual seeker, redesigned version of the Sparrow..
but was cancelled because the Aim-120 did better.. and the sparrow's existing appaling performance records had people wondering how much could you actually get out of the system.
Probably why the R-27 is not taken in high regard either..

I had a discussion a while back with a USAF pilot I used to know(callsign "sideshow") who was a F-15 jock and last on A-10's(but that was five years or more ago).. Apparently the US had along with its aircraft evaluation programs.. acquired Russian missile systems as recent as the Latest Alamo(1999-2004) and Archer variants.. and was only impressed with the latter.
The Alamo performed worse than the Sparrow M and P in tests.. both the Radar and IR versions.

Problem is that the baseline is still untested in combat.
So you dont have a gauging point... looks better on paper(possibly not better than the SD-10B on paper.. but again.. on paper :azn:).
Like the AIM-7Q.. supposed to be a dual seeker, redesigned version of the Sparrow..
but was cancelled because the Aim-120 did better.. and the sparrow's existing appaling performance records had people wondering how much could you actually get out of the system.
Probably why the R-27 is not taken in high regard either..

I had a discussion a while back with a USAF pilot I used to know(callsign "sideshow") who was a F-15 jock and last on A-10's(but that was five years or more ago).. Apparently the US had along with its aircraft evaluation programs.. acquired Russian missile systems as recent as the Latest Alamo(1999-2004) and Archer variants.. and was only impressed with the latter.
The Alamo performed worse than the Sparrow M and P in tests.. both the Radar and IR versions.

Absolutely agree with your post. I didn't get to have any direct conversation with the two russian ctp's about the missile, but what I heard from the interpreter nearly eight years ago was pretty heartening for the RVV-AE. IAF tested a new version and found it better than what they had expected. As far as archers reputation is concerned what you state is absolutely correct, and there are tell-tale signs of MD already being inducted. Article 170-1-M might be included in super 30 package, but thats just speculation. But from IAF's signals, it's clear that RVV-Sd variant will soon see indian colors with delays in astra. I dont know if it brings any significant difference, but the missile version IAF is working on is not being handled by team from vympel but from raduga.

Absolutely agree with your post. I didn't get to have any direct conversation with the two russian ctp's about the missile, but what I heard from the interpreter nearly eight years ago was pretty heartening for the RVV-AE. IAF tested a new version and found it better than what they had expected. As far as archers reputation is concerned what you state is absolutely correct, and there are tell-tale signs of MD already being inducted. Article 170-1-M might be included in super 30 package, but thats just speculation. But from IAF's signals, it's clear that RVV-Sd variant will soon see indian colors with delays in astra. I dont know if it brings any significant difference, but the missile version IAF is working on is not being handled by team from vympel but from raduga.

Would it not be better to aim for ASTRA?
Forgive my bias but I have developed a certain distaste for countries purchasing equipment they do not have the R&D rights over. At best the RVV-SD should be a stop gap.. otherwise it may become a stopping block and perhaps a guillotine for the ASTRA.

Russian electronics have come a long way since then, We DO use them a LOT as well.. and I mean a LOT.. and no restrictions either. But then thats all I wish to state. :azn:

Would it not be better to aim for ASTRA?
Forgive my bias but I have developed a certain distaste for countries purchasing equipment they do not have the R&D rights over. At best the RVV-SD should be a stop gap.. otherwise it may become a stopping block and perhaps a guillotine for the ASTRA.

Russian electronics have come a long way since then, We DO use them a LOT as well.. and I mean a LOT.. and no restrictions either. But then thats all I wish to state. :azn:
dear sir,

honestly I dont know much about astra, there are so many conflicting reports on the seeker that I wont believe a single thing on that project until it's commissioned. One thing I can assure of is IAF wont accept any sub standard a2a missile from russia, when there can be direct integration of Israeli /french option with one telephone call. It might be a stop gap, a very expensive one.

With your russian avionics variants , i'm sure you have no restrictions, but doesn't that come at a cost. I heard a report where 6 or 7 eireye's were recommended but mushhraf had to give half of them to china... Nothing is free dear :azn:

dear sir,

honestly I dont know much about astra, there are so many conflicting reports on the seeker that I wont believe a single thing on that project until it's commissioned. One thing I can assure of is IAF wont accept any sub standard a2a missile from russia, when there can be direct integration of Israeli /french option with one telephone call. It might be a stop gap, a very expensive one.

With your russian avionics variants , i'm sure you have no restrictions, but doesn't that come at a cost. I heard a report where 6 or 7 eireye's were recommended but mushhraf had to give half of them to china... Nothing is free dear :azn:

Not half, just one had to suffer a problem that would lead to that AESA radar being shipped off.
The Six or seven was not done due to finances.
:azn:

Lo and Behold...
Somehow that fate happened without trying....
Spares got lost, and somehow found their way elsewhere.
Dont you just hate paperwork ;)

I actually believe the ASTRA has better potential, and I think it would be foolish and uncharacteristic of the IAF to accept sub-standard equipment.. which is why there was some hubbub according to reports here on the first few MKI's..
The IAF has been spoilt by the M2Ks.. It loves them to the hilt.. which may even have influenced MMRCA a bit in my view.
Prior to the MKI and even still.. the M2Ks were considered the greatest asset the IAF possessed by the PAF.. the Mig-29s being a far second.
You actually have to see the sparkle in a IAF pilots eyes.. the old school ones.. when they talk about that bird.

Not half, just one had to suffer a problem that would lead to that AESA radar being shipped off.
The Six or seven was not done due to finances.
:azn:

Lo and Behold...
Somehow that fate happened without trying....
Spares got lost, and somehow found their way elsewhere.
Dont you just hate paperwork ;)

I actually believe the ASTRA has better potential, and I think it would be foolish and uncharacteristic of the IAF to accept sub-standard equipment.. which is why there was some hubbub according to reports here on the first few MKI's..
The IAF has been spoilt by the M2Ks.. It loves them to the hilt.. which may even have influenced MMRCA a bit in my view.
Prior to the MKI and even still.. the M2Ks were considered the greatest asset the IAF possessed by the PAF.. the Mig-29s being a far second.
You actually have to see the sparkle in a IAF pilots eyes.. the old school ones.. when they talk about that bird.

I am sure you are aware of simplicity of french from your experience..I am one of the mirage 2k fanboys aswell! service rate is better, maintenance is low, french had offered to integrate mica/with future meteor with MKI which didnt quite materialize, Israel had offered 400 Python IV for ?? which was cut down 100, (by specs Python IV is the most advanced aam), Your guess is as good as mine on which platform these are inducted as of now. M29 india had were older make, one of the first one's to roll of USSR and M2K's came quite later, and both are different class, as M29's were pure air superiority. Another fact is fulcrums are flown by the most experienced combat pilots hence I would hesitate dubbing them second line, even now the primary Air superiority fighter first on the scene would be fulcrums and not flankers. The reason I have held high respect for russo/ isreali hardware is because we have developed/sourced inter-operability with Mig 29/MKI/LCA. That gives an wide array of platforms for delivery. And on A2A battle today my money will still be on the "IAF" Fulcrum instead of others platforms.

I am sure you are aware of simplicity of french from your experience..I am one of the mirage 2k fanboys aswell! service rate is better, maintenance is low, french had offered to integrate mica/with future meteor with MKI which didnt quite materialize, Israel had offered 400 Python IV for ?? which was cut down 100, (by specs Python IV is the most advanced aam), Your guess is as good as mine on which platform these are inducted as of now. M29 india had were older make, one of the first one's to roll of USSR and M2K's came quite later, and both are different class, as M29's were pure air superiority. Another fact is fulcrums are flown by the most experienced combat pilots hence I would hesitate dubbing them second line, even now the primary Air superiority fighter first on the scene would be fulcrums and not flankers. The reason I have held high respect for russo/ isreali hardware is because we have developed/sourced inter-operability with Mig 29/MKI/LCA. That gives an wide array of platforms for delivery. And on A2A battle today my money will still be on the "IAF" Fulcrum instead of others platforms.

Another reason for experienced pilot going to the Fulcrum would be that they had excellent potential Air-to-Air but workload and pilot stress to match But yeah.. early Russian designs CANNOT be compared to what they are producing today.
I remember reading an article in some mag a while ago that Zvezda(the ejection seat guys) were teaming up with SPARCO to produce more comfortable seating for pilots and vice versa.

AIM-9X Block II

Raytheon’s AIM-9X Block II would have made Top Gun a very short movie.

It’s the USA’s most advanced short range air-air missile, capable of using its datalink, thrust vectoring maneuverability, and advanced imaging infrared seeker to hit targets behind the launching fighter. Unlike previous AIM-9 models, the AIM-9X can even be used against targets on the ground .

These changes will help keep it competitive against foreign missiles like MBDA UK’s AIM-132 ASRAAM, RAFAEL of Israel’s Python 5, the multinational German-led IRIS-T, and Russia’s R73/ AA-11 Archer. The end of September 2011 saw the first significant order from the US military for AIM-9X Block II missiles, but its popularity hasn’t been restricted to the USA. So far, only American fighter types can use AIM-9X missiles, but that hasn’t stopped a slew of export requests and sales, especially in the Middle East.

ORD_AIM-9X-on_USAF_F-15_NAVAIR_lg.jpg

A combination of AIM-9X-2 hardware and OFS 8.3+ software. OFS 8.3 added trajectory management to improve range, makes full use of the datalink with the launching aircraft, and improves lock-on-after-launch and target re-acquisition performance. Those capabilities have been refined further in the most current version, OFS 9.3.

Overall, the Block II has about 85% parts commonality with the Block I. The 2-way datalink is the most significant single Block II change, as it allows the missile to fly toward targets its seeker can’t yet see, using target position tracking from its fighter. Improved seeker lock-on-after-launch vand re-acquisition makes the missile harder to evade, and the new ‘lofting’ fly-out profile boosts the Block II enough to give it some capabilities beyond visual range.

AIM-9X Block II production began in June 2011, and the missile is slated for a full-rate production decision in April 2014. Initial Operational Capability is scheduled for September 2014.

Foreign buys would come on top of that, and will help drive down prices thanks to volume production, but the current estimate is roughly $665,000 per missile. Foreign customers for AIM-9X-2 and AIM-9X Block II missiles include Malaysia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, and Singapore. Export requests are pending from Kuwait, the Netherlands, Oman, and the UAE.

Finally, some quick terminology may be helpful:​

• All-Up Rounds include both the live missile and its storage container.
  • CATM (captive air training missiles) have no warhead or rocket motor: a dummy back end and live front end.
  • NATMs are fully live missiles with a telemetry package in place of the warhead, and are used for test shots.
  • “Propulsion Steering Sections” include the rocket motor, internal thrust vectoring vanes, and control actuation system for the tail fins.
  • A Guidance Section is the missile seeker and all electronics.
  • An “Active Optical Target Detector” is the mechanism that tells the missile it is within lethal range of its target.

currently what type of missiles pakistan airforce have now

Quite a few good ones.The best one is aim-120 c-5.The aim-120 is the best BVR in the world and will remain so until meteor and rvv-de hits the field.Americans have also fielded the new aim-120c-7.AIm-120 has better performance than indian russian built r-77.But can only be employed on f-16.

One key weakness though is lack of high off boresight WVR round like r-73/python or aim-9x.The AIM-9L/P are no match for TVectoring high off boresight wvr rounds.This makes PAF aircraft at serious disadvantge in dogfight against aircraft using HMS/R-73 combo like mig-29.The disadvantge would be even more acute facing Thrust vectoring aircraft using hms-off boresight aam combo.

Quite a few good ones.The best one is aim-120 c-5.The aim-120 is the best BVR in the world and will remain so until meteor and rvv-de hits the field.Americans have also fielded the new aim-120c-7.AIm-120 has better performance than indian russian built r-77.But can only be employed on f-16.

One key weakness though is lack of high off boresight WVR round like r-73/python or aim-9x.The AIM-9L/P are no match for TVectoring high off boresight wvr rounds.This makes PAF aircraft at serious disadvantge in dogfight against aircraft using HMS/R-73 combo like mig-29.The disadvantge would be even more acute facing Thrust vectoring aircraft using hms-off boresight aam combo.

with BVR's who needs WVR's:cheesy:;)

A bit more refined video, as a follow up to the one i've posted before on this thread.

AIM-2000 IRIS-T

Don't go on the title of the following video....just enjoy the action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Subject: 6.4. American missile designations

These have their own version of the Tri-Service designation system,
consisting of a three-letter prefix, a dash, a series number to indicate
the specific type, and a letter to indicate subtypes. Series numbers are
assigned within vehicle types, so there are only two numeric series, the
M-series for guided missiles and the R-series for unguided rockets.

The three letters indicate (left to right):

(1) Launch platform:

A = Aircraft
B = Multiple
C = Container
F = Individual
G = Runway
H = Silo stored
L = Silo launched
M = Mobile
P = Soft pad
R = Ship
S = Space
U = Underwater

(2) Mission type:

C = Cargo transport
D = Decoy
E = Electronics or communication
G = Surface attack
I = Interception
L = Launch detection or surveillance
M = Calibration or scientific research
N = Navigation
Q = Drone
S = Space support
T = Training
U = Underwater attack
W = Weather

(3) Vehicle type:

M = Missile (guided)
R = Rocket (unguided)

Example: AIM-9L Sidewinder. Aircraft-launched interception missile (i.e.
air-to-air missile), the ninth missile to be designated since 1962, and the
eleventh version of the AIM-9. As with aircraft, an official proper name
is usually assigned, but is not part of the formal designation.

(See 2.13 for current American air-to-air missiles)

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.answers/3oD1OWSC37o

Subject: 6.7. Russian missile designations and codenames

Russian rockets and missiles are mostly given designations in the R-series
(guided rockets), S-series (unguided rockets), or Kh-series (this seems to
be reserved for air-to-surface missiles, but I have no idea what the
significance of the prefix is; "Kh" is one letter in Russian, and looks
like an "X", so you will often see these designations quoted with an "X"
prefix instead).

NATO codenames for Russian missiles start with "A" (air to air), "G"
(surface to air), "K" (air to surface), or "S" (surface to surface). In
addition to the names, they are also given designations consisting of a
two-letter code for the mission type ("AA", "AS", "SA", or "SS", plus some
special codes such as "AT" for "anti-tank"), an "N" for naval missiles, and
a number.

AIM-9X Block III to Become a BVR Missile

The US Navy is hoping to increase the range of the Raytheon AIM-9X air/air missile by some 60% over current Sidewinder variants. The Navy seek this enhanced capability particularly for the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) says. The new weapon is scheduled to become operational in 2022.

To achieve the extended range the new AIM-9X Block III will be equipped with a new rocket motor providing increased rocket motor performance and improved missile power management. NAVAIR says. The new weapon will also use an insensitive munitions warhead, providing better safety on board aircraft carriers. The new missile will leverage the current Block II’s guidance unit and electronics-including the missile’s AMRAAM-derived datalink. The F-35 is currently cleared to carry two AIM-9X underwing, along with four AIM-120Ds are carried internally. When fielded, the fighters are likely be carrying Block II missiles internally, which can acquire targets after being launched, (lock On After Launch – LOAL), therefore enabling carrying the missiles inside the weapons bay.

According to NAVAIR, the current Block II AIM-9X already overlaps some of the range capability of the more powerful Raytheon AIM-120D AMRAAM, and this overlap is expected to increase with the future Block III, providing the F-35 pilot the flexibility to employ both radar guided or passive homing missiles in Beyond Visual Rang (BVR) engagments, NAVAIR says.

“The need for that added flexibility arises from the proliferation of advanced digital radio frequency memory (DRFM) jammers that many potential adversaries are adding to their fighter fleets.” Dave Majumdar, of FlightGlobal commented. “DRFM jammers have the potential to blind the AMRAAM’s onboard radar, which makes the AIM-9X’s passive imaging infra-red guidance system a useful alternative means to defeat those threats. While a completely new missile would have been ideal, the Pentagon is faced with era of declining budgets and has to take into account the price tag of any new weapon.”

While the Pentagon needs the new Sidewinder to be a supplemental BVR weapon for situations where friendly fighters are faced with electronic attacks that degrade with radar-guided weapons, it will not compromise on the AIM-9X’s close in performance. “The requirement and design call for the same WVR [within visual range]/HOBS [high off-boresight] capabilities as those found in the AIM-9X Block II,” NAVAIR says.

The Block III is currently scheduled to enter into its engineering and manufacturing development phase in 2016, NAVAIR says. Subsequently, it will go into developmental testing in 2018 with operational tests starting in 2020. If all goes well, an initial operational capability date is expected in 2022. “The Block III development schedule follows the increased number of Joint Strike Fighter aircraft entering service,” NAVAIR says.

The AIM-9X features a fifth generation staring focal plane array IR seeker with a high off-boresight capability. AIM-9X is an advanced IR missile. It is mounted on a highly maneuverable (thrust vectored) airframe, along with digital guidance and IR signal processing that results in enhanced acquisition ranges, greatly improved infrared counter-countermeasures capability, and extremely high off-boresight engagement zones for unprecedented first shot/first kill air-to-air performance.
AIM-9X Block III to Become a BVR Missile - Defense Update - Military Technology & Defense News

Back
Top Bottom