What's new

Al-Qaida could get nukes from Pakistan: US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
WASHINGTON: The US believes al-Qaida is actively in search of a nuclear bomb and fears it could get one through criminal gangs or by infiltrating nuclear labs in Pakistan or other vulnerable nations.

"I think the al-Qaida is looking for those vulnerabilities and facilities and stockpiles in different countries that would allow them to obtain the by-product of nuclear reactors and materials that they can use," John Brennan, the White House's counter-terrorism chief, told reporters on Monday.

The terror group was also looking "to go after those individuals that might have access to the materials as well as individuals who have the expertise that they need to actually fabricate and improvise nuclear devices," he said in a briefing on the Nuclear Security Summit here.

"There is evidence of their attempts to do that. I would like to think that we have been able to thwart their success to date
," he said when asked if there is any evidence that al-Qaida has actually managed to do that, particularly in Pakistan.

Seeking to highlight the urgency of the threat posed by terrorists in pursuit of a nuclear bomb, Brennan said that al-Qaida is actively in search of the key ingredients for a bomb and the expertise to assemble it.

"Terrorist groups and internal criminal organisations will look for the weakest link in a chain and that's why it's so critically important that all countries take their responsibility seriously," he said.

Brennan declined to go into details of Sunday's meeting between President Barack Obama and Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani on the issue.

But "It's part of a process that was started, at least in this administration 15 months ago, where we had regular ongoing conversations with a number of nations of the world, including Pakistan, addressing the goals and objectives that we know that the al-Qaida is after and what type of threat they pose to our interests and to the interests of other countries," he said.

"So, our engagement with Pakistan, runs the full gamut as far as what the al-Qaida is trying to do whether it be to kill innocents or to carry out other types of attacks and objectives that really threaten our national security and of Pakistani national security," he said.

Asked about the danger of Pakistan's nuclear assets falling into the hands of the al-Qaida , Brennan said: "The ability of a terrorist groups to find weapons or expertise is directly related to the vulnerability of these materials."

Brennan said, "Over the years, the al-Qaida, including some al-Qaida members, have claimed that they already have such nuclear capabilities or weapons. That's not proved, but also at the same time, it's difficult to disprove something like that."

"There is no indication that I have that the al-Qaida has a nuclear weapons capability. But at the same time though, I am determined to ensure that they are not going to be able to obtain that type of capability."

We knew this since pak tested its N bomb.
abt time US realises this threat just as much.

Al-Qaida could get nukes from Pakistan: US

Its an open secret and hardly sensational anymore. If terrorists could get nuclear weapons it would be through pakistan and certainly a chinese design. Other countries dont have it and if they do, they wont share it on ideological/religious basis (to Iran by AQ.K etc)

They might find it easier to get nuclear know-how or tech by abducting Indian nuclear scientists...

Proliferation worries and the missing Indian scientist

http://www.defence.pk/forums/strate...nuclear-scientist-access-secrets-missing.html

And what about Russian nuclear scientists and the former-USSR's stockpile?

Controlling the Proliferation of Nuclear Knowledge from the Former Soviet Union

U.S. experts fear nuclear proliferation from stockpiles of former Soviet Union. (Originated from Boston Globe) - Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service | Encyclopedia.com

The fact is, as President Obama puts it, "I feel confident that Pakistan has secured its nuclear weapons,” Mr Obama said. “I am concerned about nuclear security all around the world, not just in Pakistan but everywhere.”

DAWN.COM | Front Page | Obama says US has no designs on Pak nukes

Obviously, there are special interest groups and anti-muslim/anti-pakistan lobbies in the US that will beat the drum of "proliferation" now that Pakistan is inching closer to a nuclear deal, but that comes with the territory.

I will remind everyone here that the US supposedly turned a "blind eye" to Pakistan's efforts to acquire nuclear weapons the last time we were in Afghanistan together. If they accepted our nuclear weapons status in return for assistance in Afghanistan when they weren't even directly involved, there is no reason to believe that the situation this time around - when American boots are on the ground in Afghanistan and Pakistan is a key player in their successful and safe withdrawl - will be any different.

At the end of the day, the entire US administration and military is repeatedly exhibiting strong support for Pakistan in statements and actions. There will be a few growls and barks from here and there, but these are impotent barks in my opinion.

this the fourth thread on this topic i guess in one day

Another Topic started By Indian Troll without any link I think its time Mr, sinner is sent home with his anti; Pakistan biased I for one is sick and tired of his propaganda he uses Times of Indias articles which even his fellow Indians even acknowledge is full of s.h.i.t.

The same used to be said about USSR when it broke up, even now doubts about the security of Russian nuclear infrastructure is shown, even reports of missing Russian nukes surfaces now and then, and mind it, Russia was at a much worse situation at that time, compared to us. But did anything happen, nothing.

So till we don't cross the Russian state of chaos as was at its break up, US needs not to worry and rather should control their own proliferation.

Another Topic started By Indian Troll without any link I think its time Mr, sinner is sent home with his anti; Pakistan biased I for one is sick and tired of his propaganda he uses Times of Indias articles which even his fellow Indians even acknowledge is full of s.h.i.t.

well first you have to read the full news its not just India its USA France Australia Russia and rest of world has a serious worry for pak nuke

the question is how much time pak nuke are safe and who will take guaranty they will not goes in terrorist hands

a serious question for the world ???

The same used to be said about USSR when it broke up, even now doubts about the security of Russian nuclear infrastructure is shown, even reports of missing Russian nukes surfaces now and then, and mind it, Russia was at a much worse situation at that time, compared to us. But did anything happen, nothing.

So till we don't cross the Russian state of chaos as was at its break up, US needs not to worry and rather should control their own proliferation.

Its very simple,USA,Russia,India, Australia,Israel and EU country doesn't want pakistan to be nuclear armed and they are doing what ever possible to de-nuke you....Its up to pakistan diplomacy how they will resist this..

"I think the al-Qaida is looking for those vulnerabilities and facilities and stockpiles in different countries that would allow them to obtain the by-product of nuclear reactors and materials that they can use," John Brennan, the White House's counter-terrorism chief, told reporters on Monday.
Trust the Indian media to distort something to make it appear it focuses solely on Pakistan.

As I have said before, find a non-Indian source when posting articles related to Pakistan. Most Indian media articles on Pakistan are reworked versions of articles in the Western media in any case.

Thread closed.

where is the link for this article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom