What's new

Alexander's conquest of "India" & historical revisionism

I didn’t ask for your personal opinion, lol. I’m interested in only what the contemporary Greeks had to say.
I just replied to you. In the sense that they conquered the Indus valley,that's what Arrian means "they conquered the country of the Indians". They never claimed to have conquered the entire subcontinent.

I'm starting to think you feel insecure. They themselves knew they didn't conquer the entire subcontinent. When Arrian says "the country of the Indians",he doesn't mean the entire subcontinent. The area back then was divided by many kingdoms as it was later as well,you know it. Did they conquer the area of the Indus valley? Yes. That's what Arrian means "They conquered the country of the Indians".
I think the point he is trying to make is that what had for hundreds of years been considered India is really just that small portion which is basically modern day Pakistan.

To expand on that point Alexander himself only got his own information about “Indica” from his Persian contemporaries who told him about Darius’ Eastern most territory which was India. If you look up Darius’ empire you will quickly realize his eastern most portion was basically modern day Pakistan. It was also considered literally the end of the world.

I think the point he is trying to make is that what had for hundreds of years been considered India is really just that small portion which is basically modern day Pakistan.

To expand on that point Alexander himself only got his own information about “Indica” from his Persian contemporaries who told him about Darius’ Eastern most territory which was India. If you look up Darius’ empire you will quickly realize his eastern most portion was basically modern day Pakistan. It was also considered literally the end of the world.
And that's what they conquered and where they stopped,I don't understand Maira's obsession or insecurity.

The point is the name does not belong to modern day India, according to historical sources. It is the same point Greece made with “Macedonia” in their naming dispute.
So he's confused and is afraid Greeks conquered Bengal as well :P

Arabs and Turks recognized India too.

Descendants of Maurya empire in Biharsharif, Nalanda, Bihar (poet is from Delhi).

Last edited:
No,they didn't conquer all of India. I don't understand where you got that idea initially. India was a vast subcontinent of which they only conquered a relatively small part. Since they didn't continue further to face more kings with their armies,they didn't conquer it all.

India was the land of the Indus and became the term for the entire subcontinent many centuries later. The newer generation of Pakistanis feel emotionally about the appropriation of the term "India" by the new country, much like Greeks feel about the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia being named after a Greek province.

Macedonians have argued there was no country as Greece before the end of the Ottoman Empire. Agreed there was no single Greek state, but Macedonia is now a province of Greece so Ancient Macedonia must be seen as part of Greece's heritage, much like Ancient Rome is Italian heritage.

Last edited:
Alexander army mutinied when they crossed over modern day pakistan and saw nawaj the great fatty eating his enemies for lunch.

No,they didn't conquer all of India. I don't understand where you got that idea initially. India was a vast subcontinent of which they only conquered a relatively small part. Since they didn't continue further to face more kings with their armies,they didn't conquer it all.

How do you Greeks know what is India. Please post the primitive maps of the world they had

India was the land of the Indus and became the term for the entire subcontinent many centuries later. The newer generation of Pakistanis feel emotionally about the appropriation of the term "India" by the new country, much like Greeks feel about the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia being named after a Greek province.

I have seen half a dozen of you out of several hundred who are hung up on Indus Valley/India stuff

Macedonians have argued there was no country as Greece before the end of the Ottoman Empire. Agreed there was no single Greek state, but Macedonia is now a province of Greece so Ancient Macedonia must be seen as part of Greece's heritage, much like Ancient Rome is Italian heritage.
This guy asked if Greeks thought they conquered all of the subcontinent. I told him no. What are you saying now?

As for Macedonians,there's no "Macedonian" nation. Macedonians are greek. The ones in FYROM or "North Macedonia" are Slavs of Bulgarian origin.

This guy asked if Greeks thought they conquered all of the subcontinent. I told him no. What are you saying now?

As for Macedonians,there's no "Macedonian" nation. Macedonians are greek. The ones in FYROM or "North Macedonia" are Slavs of Bulgarian origin.
Macedonia was free to call themselves anything. It is just Greeks made a big deal on EU membership for them

It is hard to advance further without being bit by mosquitoes :enjoy:
you are beating a dead snake.

1. history does not end with Darius and Alexander. There was no Arabic language.

2. most of what the world was interested in -- Buddhism, spices, textiles came from India proper.

3. Indus Valley was a backwater until the British built your canal system in late 19th century. All the battering of Indus Valley by invading hordes does not help.

4. In any case modern India owns portion of Indus Valley

Last edited:
How do you Greeks know what is India. Please post the primitive maps of the world they had
I have seen half a dozen of you out of several hundred who are hung up on Indus Valley/India stuff

Have you not seen/read Herodotus? He had a pretty clear definition of it. Same for the Persians with "Hind." When do you folks not get it?

Shashi Taroor while claiming to foreigners that a concept of India existed prior to the British, he claimed Pakhtun pilgrims in Arabia were called "Hindi" which, according to him, proves "India" as a country existed prior to British.

Except Hindi translates to "of the Indus." You cite Romans calling the Peninsula "India" but where did they get the term from?

Europeans might have refered to Native Americans as "Indians" but what exactly were they thinking when they gave that label? You folks just don't get it do you?

Back
Top Bottom