What's new

Am I Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahfatzia

Reaction score
395130fb1cf3249fa0ab608bd6265193.jpg

Maggie Cheung was born and raised in Hong Kong but until she applied for a passport she had no idea she wasn't actually Chinese

Hong Kong-born adoptee wins fight for Chinese nationality | South China Morning Post

she must have felt at home all the time

She should, that's the only place she knows that's home. There are many South Asians live in Hong Kong so none sticks out as an oddity in a city where discrimination are almost nonexistence.

She should, that's the only place she knows that's home. There are many South Asians live in Hong Kong so none sticks out as an oddity in a city where discrimination are almost nonexistence.

Not totally true, but we are working on that.

And yes, we do have some non-Chinese Hong Kongers, but we are not diverse to the extent that Singapore is.

Singapore is 75% ethnic Chinese, while HK is 95% ethnic Chinese. Most of the non-Chinese you see in HK are actually expats.

Anyway, she got her application approved, so she is now a Chinese national.

Even without Chinese nationality, I will still accept someone as Chinese if: They can speak a Chinese dialect, they follow Chinese culture, and they self-identify as Chinese.

So even those overseas Chinese with other nationalities, as long as they self-identify as being a Chinese person, then as far as I am concerned, they are right.

Anyway, she got her application approved, so she is now a Chinese national.

Even without Chinese nationality, I will still accept someone as Chinese if: They can speak a Chinese dialect, they follow Chinese culture, and they self-identify as Chinese.

So even those overseas Chinese with other nationalities, as long as they self-identify as being a Chinese person, then as far as I am concerned, they are right.

Isn't true if an oversea Chinese relinquishes his citizenship of the country he belongs he then can apply for Chinese citizenship? Of course he must shows he can support himself or his family if the move to China. Someone told me that many years ago.

Isn't true if an oversea Chinese relinquishes his citizenship of the country he belongs he then can apply for Chinese citizenship? Of course he must shows he can support himself or his family if the move to China. Someone told me that many years ago.

That's right. :tup:

But you can live here well, even without having Chinese nationality. I know some expats (mostly Westerners) who have been living in HK for ages without needing to be Chinese nationals.

Most of the western expats living in Hong Kong look down on Chinese people as inferior humans. Infact Hong Kong is a breeding ground for the most anti-China western expats. Hong Kong also hosts western NGOs and other media that spew anti-China BS. The Hong Kong government don't do anything to curb these trashy westerners.

Are you sure?
I think discrimination exists in HK but not along races. The division is between the rich and the poor.

Are you sure?
I think discrimination exists in HK but not along races. The division is between the rich and the poor.

According to some Chinese user in this forum, she should not be called Chinese because she is not pure breed, so do you think Racism exist in Hong Kong?

I think she should be Chinese, if she speak Chinese and manner as Chinese culture and long living in China, then she will be a Chinese

Most of the western expats living in Hong Kong look down on Chinese people as inferior humans. Infact Hong Kong is a breeding ground for the most anti-China western expats. Hong Kong also hosts western NGOs and other media that spew anti-China BS. The Hong Kong government don't do anything to curb these trashy westerners.

Not just in Hong Kong. Western expats look down on their formal colonial subjects everywhere, western Pacific, southern Pacific islands, Caribbeans, Africa...., and local politicians keep quiet because they bring in money and prestigious. Besides you can't really charge anyone wrong doing for having an attitude.

@ Viet

Discrimination based on monetary status exist everywhere and probably more so than racial ethnicity.

Hong Kong is a city that has been in constant contact with foreigners from everywhere and their behaviors are more or less respectful, so I would say discrimination based on races is rather minimal on the surfaces at least.

@ Viet

Discrimination based on monetary status exist everywhere and probably more so than racial ethnicity.

Hong Kong is a city that has been in constant contact with foreigners from everywhere and their behaviors are more or less respectful, so I would say discrimination based on races is rather minimal on the surfaces at least.

I agree. Discrimination and racism virtually exist in every country: in Germany against the Turks, in France against the Arabs, in America against the Blacks, and so forth, even in Vietnam, against the ethnic minority.

I feel in Hongkong the more money you possess, the better you are. Money matters. Sure, the Hongkonger tend to discriminate others, too: mainlanders, Viets (former refugees), or Philippines and South Asians.

I agree. Discrimination and racism virtually exist in every country: in Germany against the Turks, in France against the Arabs, in America against the Blacks, and so forth, even in Vietnam, against the ethnic minority.

I feel in Hongkong the more money you possess, the better you are. Money matters. Sure, the Hongkonger tend to discriminate others, too: mainlanders, Viets (former refugees), or Philippines and South Asians.

difference is most of them are sheeps while the Turks wont tolerate any of that sht

So in China you cant be Chinese national if you arent a Mongoloid Race Person? What happened to her is a negative example of racism and should not be tolerated. Im a bit dissappointed in China. Also because they worship europeans but dont like darker skinned asian like thai, or indian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom