What's new

An Insight into Al-Khalid II MBT.

The only real weakness the Chechen wars showed of the T-80B and T-80BV was the lack of APU. Everything else was more so due to the stupidity of having Tanks go into a city without ERA or Infantry support against rebels that knew a tank's weakness. Of course the T-80B couldn't elevate its gun to 70 degrees and shoot RPG teams on top of a building.

Exactly - those are the points that I was going make.

If you ask me - adopting T-80 of any versions may not be that great an idea in the subcontinent - if you want a heavier lead tank in small numbers. Maintenance is always a huge factor.

Armies can adopt refurb late version Leopard 2's with better electronics, sensors and replace the turret with one having newer Leopard Turret with smaller slimmer frontal signature (a la Indonesia). This way you can get a modern tank almost equivalent to Abrams M1A2 or Merkava IV for a lot less coin. BTW, not a fan of Turbine engines...

Or go for the whole shbang and get the T-14 Armata when the work the bugs out of that platform...

If you ask me - adopting T-80 of any versions may not be that great an idea in the subcontinent - if you want a heavier lead tank in small numbers. Maintenance is always a huge factor.

Armies can adopt refurb late version Leopard 2's with better electronics, sensors and replace the turret with one having newer Leopard Turret with smaller slimmer frontal signature (a la Indonesia). This way you can get a modern tank almost equivalent to Abrams M1A2 or Merkava IV for a lot less coin. BTW, not a fan of Turbine engines...

Or go for the whole shbang and get the T-14 Armata when the work the bugs out of that platform...
The turbine engine was one of the main reasons we didn't get the M1 Abrams, were pretty lucky that Ukraine had the Diesel engine version, really fixed the main problem of the T-80 series.

Will AK-II be the VT-4 license version with some non-Chinese elements?

I have said this before I would repeat it again. Pakistan's best bet for AK II is to work with Turkey, and basically develop 55 tonne version of Altay Tank.
No it won't be. AK II is separate project from Altay.

I have said this before I would repeat it again. Pakistan's best bet for AK II is to work with Turkey, and basically develop 55 tonne version of Altay Tank.
It already exists, it's called the K2 Black Panther. I'm pretty sure we're already working with Turkey's Aselsan for AK-2, i doubt it'll just be a version of the Atlay or K2 though.

Ak-2 is in development and will be a different tank, probably will have some Technologies from the VT-4, VT-4 is a tank we're getting to make up numbers.

Why not we get some additional T-80s from Ukraine with upgrades?
And Keep developing AK-IIs.

Al-Khalid' Tank to be displayed at 'International Defence Exhibition

14 February 2000

ISLAMABAD, February 14 (Online) : Pakistan's 'Main Battle Tank-2000,Al-Khalid' will make its first international public appearance at the International Defence Exhibition and Seminar 2000 (IDEAS 2000) in Karachi in November 2000.

Informed sources told Online here Monday that MBT-Al-Khalid, which is a joint venture between Pakistan and China, was currently undergoing production at the Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT).

"It is a tank designed jointly by Pakistan and China with a Ukrainian engine", they said and added. the would be completely manufactured at HIT and the Ukrainian engine would also be assembled in Pakistan under a transfer of technology agreement.

IDEAS 2000 is an international defence exhibition arranged by the Government of Pakistan and the Pakistan Armed Forces to boost Pakistan's defence exports. IDEAS 2000 will be held in Karachi in November 1999. A large number of national and international public and private sector defence organizations, manufacturers and suppliers will be participating in the 5-day exhibition.

It may be recalled that AL-Khalid had also taken a part in a competition when it participated in a tank competition for the Turkish Army earlier in 1999.

Pakistan is looking to export the Al-Khalid main battle tank. A number of countries are looking at the Al-Khalid for its possible induction into their armies. The Pakistan Army has ordered more than 500 Al-Khalid main battle tanks for its Armoured Corps primarily to replace its ageing Chinese-built T-54s, T-55s, T-59s and T-69s and the US-built M48s. Although final orders for the Al-Khalid in the next 25 years may include upto 4,000 Al-Khalid main battle tanks. The Pakistan Army's more modern current tanks include the Chinese T-85II and the Ukrainian T-80UD.

Al-Khalid' Tank to be displayed at 'International Defence Exhibition

14 February 2000

ISLAMABAD, February 14 (Online) : ...

Pakistan is looking to export the Al-Khalid main battle tank. A number of countries are looking at the Al-Khalid for its possible induction into their armies. The Pakistan Army has ordered more than 500 Al-Khalid main battle tanks for its Armoured Corps primarily to replace its ageing Chinese-built T-54s, T-55s, T-59s and T-69s and the US-built M48s.

Although final orders for the Al-Khalid in the next 25 years may include upto...

"4,000" Al-Khalid main battle tanks.

The Pakistan Army's more modern current tanks include the Chinese T-85II and the Ukrainian T-80UD.

What a humbling retrospective...

We are already getting VT-4s in big numbers which are better overall, we did plan on upgrading our T-80UDs/T-84s to Oplot standards, but stopped due to high costs.

But you are sure that PA doesn't need T-80s with upgrades similar to T-84s from Ukraine?

Sir what are major flaws of T80 or in other words shortcomings
iMO AK 2 is derivation of MBT 2000 , so it ever local production of VT4 (MBT 3000) start it will come under project AL hiader not al khalil

It already exists, it's called the K2 Black Panther. I'm pretty sure we're already working with Turkey's Aselsan for AK-2, i doubt it'll just be a version of the Atlay or K2 though.
Atlay is modified version of black panther , both fall in 4th gen tanks leagues. Turkey developed it help of Korean help from there black panther project

Altay is the excellent tank but too much experience for Pakistan, in simple word we can't afford it

Back
Top Bottom