What's new

And here comes China's fab

I must apologize. The official target is to have a functional 14 nm process technology by 2020, by the time the leaders in the field, Intel, Samsung, and TSMC, are expected to have moved to 10 nm and below.

So China will still remain one generation behind.

Can someone else comment here over other aspects of computing supply chain?
@Lux de Veritas

Considering that we are just seeing 28nm products that too not mature with engineering (I started using 28nm chips only last year still a few h/w bugs), I'd say 14nm in 2018/2020 is still an good proposition.

Considering that we are just seeing 28nm products that too not mature with engineering (I started using 28nm chips only last year still a few h/w bugs), I'd say 14nm in 2018/2020 is still an good proposition.

What do you mean by we?

If we means India, it doesn't have any fab at 28 nm as far as I know.

If you mean the general world, than TSMC has already started mass production on 16 nm chips, and Samsung has started some batch productions of 10 nm.

By 2020, China will be lucky if it is 1 generation behind. It could also be 2 generation behind by that time.

I thought India is getting display fab first...will be established in Chandigarh

By that time Taiwan will be squarely back into mother mainland's bossom. Just kidding (or am I?). But good to see China innovating and catching up.

What do you mean by we?

If we means India, it doesn't have any fab at 28 nm as far as I know.

If you mean the general world, than TSMC has already started mass production on 16 nm chips, and Samsung has started some batch productions of 10 nm.

By 2020, China will be lucky if it is 1 generation behind. It could also be 2 generation behind by that time.

Well by we, I was talking about my small world where we have only now seen some 28nm chips. And those were not mature last year.

Back
Top Bottom