What's new

Anna Hazare wins, Parliament passes resolution on Lokpal Bill

Which bill has been passed? Will this end corruption in India, no. Will this significantly cripple corruption in India, perhaps. Only time will tell. I would appreciate, Indian members to do a follow-up on the passing of this bill, 6-months or perhaps a year down the road. Then we can see
if the bill was a prayer answered or a curse.

This Bill will definitely be a big relief for common Man :tup:

surely corruption will still exist but much less than what it is today...

no more Kalmadi and Raja...and i can assure you that this bill is a boon for India...

Does anyone know how this act be enforced? Will it be upto CBI to hold all accountable lr will a new police force be set up?

This is Awesome!!!!!!!!

Although we know that this bill will not reduce corruption down to 0% but even if it will bring corruption down by 50% of current situation! It is still worth everything!

God damn! Salute to this old man who stood there without eating anything for 12 days! damn! for better future of our country!

Hail Anna! Salute!

Let reduce this corruption in our country "we" the masses needs to be more assertive towards this devolopment!

HALF VICTORY INDEED! Just hope for the best guys! :tup::tup::tup:

JAI HIND!!!

Itna Kyon Sote Hain Hum - Prasoon Joshi's Poem in support of Anna Hazare

Last edited by a moderator:
No bill has been passed but a resolution is passed in which it is stated that all the critical or contentious issues which will incorporate in the ultimate bill. That's why I said it is the first step.
Wrong. The three critical points have only been passed, with conditions, to the Standing Committee for due consideration. The Standing Committee may very well reject these points eventually. Or it may accept those points.

The celebration is premature to say the least. If Govt can have it's way, you are looking at another 40 years. (IIRC there is no time limit to how long a Parliamentary Standing Committee can consider something before it.)

PM's letter to Anna Hazare

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh wrote to Anna Hazare after Parliament on Saturday passed a resolution agreeing to the three demands put forth by anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare. Vilasrao Deshmukh personally went to Ramlila Maidan to hand over the letter and a copy of the resolution to Team Anna.

Dear Anna Hazare Ji,

I thank you letter date August 26.

As you know, Parliament today discussed Lokpal related issues. You would be happy to know that both the Houses of Parliament passed a resolution on the three points raised by you. According to this resolution, Parliament in principle agrees to the following three points:

1. Citizens' charter
2. Lower bureaucracy under Lokpal through appropriate mechanism
3. Establishment of Lokayukta in states

Parliament has also passed a resolution that further resolves to forward the proceedings of the House to the Standing Committee for its perusal while formulating its recommendations for a Lokpal Bill.

I hope that you will end your fast looking at the resolution passed and restore your health. We all wish for your good health.

Best wishes,

Yours sincerely

Manmohan Singh

http://www.hindustantimes.com/PM-s-letter-to-Anna-Hazare/Article1-738675.aspx

Does anyone know how this act be enforced? Will it be upto CBI to hold all accountable lr will a new police force be set up?

The Jan lokpal bill wants the CBI anti-corruption wing turned into Lokpal. This would save time and resources and decrease parallel government authorities intervening into each others jurisdiction. This would also mean that all the current scams will also fall under the Lokpal as they are being investigated by the CBI

The controversial governments Lokpal bill ask for a fresh Lokpal investigating wing which will deal with fresh cases. In this case the Lokpal investigating wing would take several years to get its ranks in order and operate. Also the current cases under CBI will be handled by CBI itself.

I think only the UPA government would have a problem in this issue. The opposition party will be rooting for the Jan Lokpal clause as thorough investigation in the 2G scam by Lokpal will bring more embarrassment to the Congress.

Let's see how things go ahead. I am very happy with the resolution on a) The citizens charter and b) the issue of having lower bureaucracy under the ambit of Lokpal. This will definitely improve the way of life in India.

My sincere appeal to all Indians. To bring about the change in our system, we must change ourselves. To make the Lokpal effective we must honest and righteous ourselves. Lokpal will not stop you from giving a bribe when you jump the red signal. Be more careful and don't jump the signal. Be the change you want to see in others.

Guys..it is also a time of personal redemption. I hope we never do corruption.

Please do see "lo mashalon ko jala dala kisi ne - Parsoon Joshi"

Wrong. The three critical points have only been passed, with conditions, to the Standing Committee for due consideration. The Standing Committee may very well reject these points eventually. Or it may accept those points.

The celebration is premature to say the least. If Govt can have it's way, you are looking at another 40 years. (IIRC there is no time limit to how long a Parliamentary Standing Committee can consider something before it.)

first of all three principle conditions have been accepted by parliament as it is..what they din't accept is CBI and judiciary under Lokpal

Standing comittee is just a formality as it has 15 members form BJP and 4 member from Congress and a BJP spokesperson said that BJP is all for the bill and they will make sure it get passed and same is being signaled by PM on his letter to Mr.Hazare, as they cannot afford to anger Public once more

time for celebration dude..its a big Victory for Indian democracy..its a first step towards a corruption free India

and dont forget we already have a powerful RTI

If passing a Law would bring El Dorado, India would have been a better place. The real issue is enforcement. I remember the days when CVC (Chief Vigilance Commissioner) officer was open for business, corruption situation only got worse.

Who will be the guy leading Jan Lokpal, some IAS officer or ex-magistrate. Some things never change, I am not cynical.

The whole thing to me reflects todays, take a pill lose your weight mentality that is pervasive through out the world. If you really want to lose weight, you have to endure the pain of solid work-out. The pill may help, but the hardwork is the real deal.

What exactly are you implying ? Are you with or against Lokpal ?

Cynic:hitwall:

have some faith in Lokpal bill drafted by team Anna comprising of most honest IPS in Indian history, Kiran Bedi; IIT+IIM+IAS Arvind Kejriwal ; justice Hegde and Great Anna Hazare...this Lokpal bill will bring down corruption level in India :)

no need to be a critic , when some great minds have worked hard for this day..lets cheer for them...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom