What's new

Another Bangladesh emerging from Bay of Bengal.

Those smart cities or tier II, III cities won't be as cosmopolitan as Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore or other big cities currently existing... The mindset of the people is the main issue here...

Im saying with time they will be. My home city Coimbatore (tier 2) already has plenty of Bengalis and others coming in and setting up the groundwork with all kinds of businesses and such or working in IT parks, managerial or engineering roles in the larger facilities like Bosch etc....or studying in TNAU and other universities and colleges.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...opportunity-in-Kovai/articleshow/33355558.cms

There are like 20 - 30 existing tier 2 cities of this size....and many dozens more will become similar tier 2+ cities.

Also, since, we are talking about West Bengal here, it's a state of about 100 million people, that's pretty large...

Not all of W.B is going to face such problems (even hypothetically) just like all of Bangladesh wont either....and definitely not in a very short time frame of say under 20 years either. Well within absorption and ramping up capacity of Tier I and Tier 2 cities including the ones that join these brackets over time much more quickly than even today.

Bengalis will always be welcome in Tamil Nadu I can say personally. We much admire their culture and contribution to India. Our elders looked upon Bengalis with quite some awe and wonder and taught us that this is another worthy distinct culture of India just like Tamil culture....and there is much scope of synthesis and mutual admiration, cooperation and integration:

@BDforever

Some of the posts here have instigated an interesting debate here... Human displacement and migration is going to be one of the biggest implications of Climate Change...

Now what we are discussing here is, if West Bengal becomes inhabitable due to Climate Change, people living in the area could always migrate to the other parts of India without any resistance - I don't agree.

Presently, what we see is that, the emigrants from West Bengal mainly settle in the large cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and others. These cities are obviously supposed to be cosmopolitan, just like any other large cities in any part of the world. Hence, the Bengalis from WB don't find it difficult to integrate in such cities which are culturally (in some cases racially) far off from their native place. However, if mass migration happens, these cities will be overwhelmed to accommodate them and eventually the people will start settling in small towns or even villages in those states. That's when the problem will arise because such small towns or villages are not cosmopolitan like those large cities. Likewise, there will be ethnic riots and conflicts because of the migration from West Bengal.

We can also look at the recent history to get a clue. During the British Raj era, the British promoted mass migration of Bengalis into Assam for agricultural purposes which was sparsely populated. Even in this day, these Bengalis find it hard to get assimilated there. Assam has a notorious history of deadly ethnic conflicts targeting these Bengalis. A notable case is Bongal Kheda where hundreds of thousands of Bengalis were victims of ethnic cleansing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bongal_Kheda

This ethnic violence also spilled over to neighboring states, including Tripura where the Mandai massacre took place, killing at least 350 Bengali Hindus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandai_massacre

Note that culturally and racially, Assam and Tripura are the closest to West Bengal among all the states in India. When these two states couldn't tolerate such mass migration of Bengalis, I'm not sure if other states would be comfortable in such an event...

Brother, I can give you tons of examples, our county has given home to thousands of Persis/Zoroastrians when they were persecuted from Iran, our country has settled lakhs of uprooted Kashmiris within a year, and our country has accommodated crores of persecuted Bengalis from East bengal during the short periods of 1946-47 and 1971 and continuously during the all 70 years of partition in a smaller but steady scale. Our country has accommodated millions of uprooted Punjabis from Pakistan. And you are saying that some Indians will not have room during a slow migration spread over decades due to climate changes? Our country is mother India, and she has enough room for all her children, both own and adopted, she doesn't differentiate in her love for her children.

It seems that the concept of a 'nation' is not understood by the Bangladeshis. :)

It seems that the concept of a 'nation' is not understood by the Bangladeshis. :)

Lack of room and much water logging often makes it hard to understand a country ...what...22 times larger or so with 100+ times the diversity in every thing imaginable.

The fact they pretend to not know any of the 1.1 million Bangladesh tourists that are visiting India each year now is quite funny.

Lack of room and much water logging often makes it hard to understand a country ...what...22 times larger or so with 100+ times the diversity in every thing imaginable.

The fact they pretend to not know any of the 1.1 million Bangladesh tourists that are visiting India each year now is quite funny.

Well, frankly speaking, half of the Bangladeshi posters here or so are out of their mind, religious/ultranationalist zealots who's posts are driven rather by emotion than by logic, understandably so.

However, on the other hand, Indians like you and 'rain man' are naive.

'India', 'Bharat', 'Hindustan', whatever you may call is not a nation, but merely a country, a union of nations to be specifc. It is no different than Pakistan. Both entities have been created by the British, one of which is based on the Muslims of the region, while the other tries to bring together the region itself driven by some fragile idea of 'diversity'. Both state ideologies are weak, examples being the liberation of Bangladesh, and the hundreds of secessionist organisations in both India and Pakistan, first and second highest in number respectively.

Before the British, and the Mughals too loosely, the subcontinent was never united. We had our own cultures, cuisines, phenotypes, genotypes, languages among other things. Now post those periods, what we see here is an ethnic and religious clash pot of different cultures brought together for stupid reasons. I mean, if so your state's ideology is 'unity in diversity', why not include Tibet or Burma in your plans? or maybe merge with Chine to create a more diverse state? or maybe even the world haha. Instead you are agitated by some news of migrants from East Bengal. What happened to your unity in diversity then? After all isn't India based on that?

I hope you see what my point is, which I highly doubt you will. Have a happy belated-Independence day.

Well, frankly speaking, half of the Bangladeshi posters here or so are out of their mind, religious/ultranationalist zealots who's posts are driven rather by emotion than by logic, understandably so.

'India', 'Bharat', 'Hindustan', whatever you may call is not a nation, but merely a country, a union of nations to be specifc. It is no different than Pakistan. Both entities have been created by the British, one of which is based on the Muslims of the region, while the other tries to bring together the region itself driven by some fragile idea of 'diversity'. Both state ideologies are weak, examples being the liberation of Bangladesh, and the hundreds of secessionist organisations in both India and Pakistan, first and second highest in number respectively.

Before the British, and the Mughals too loosely, the subcontinent was never united. We had our own cultures, cuisines, phenotypes, genotypes, languages among other things. Now post those periods, what we see here is an ethnic and religious clash pot of different cultures brought together for stupid reasons. I mean, if so your state's ideology is 'unity in diversity', why not include Tibet or Burma in your plans? or maybe merge with Chine to create a more diverse state? or maybe even the world haha. Instead you are agitated by some news of migrants from East Bengal. What happened to your unity in diversity then? After all isn't India based on that?

I hope you see what my point is, which I highly doubt you will. Have a happy belated-Independence day.

You have said nothing more than what other Bangladeshi members have already said and I am tired of repeating myself frankly.

Lets agree to disagree and move on since its your first post.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the wishes.

Is the land size increasing because of land reclamation or what? I didn't understand the article though. If it's land reclamation, then just reclaim land like Singapore HAHAHAHA!!!! Confirm can make alot of land at Bay of Bengal :yahoo:

Is the land size increasing because of land reclamation or what? I didn't understand the article though. If it's land reclamation, then just reclaim land like Singapore HAHAHAHA!!!! Confirm can make alot of land at Bay of Bengal :yahoo:

Singapore is doing it artificially right?? They are turning their filths into ashes then somehow use them in the sea?? Kind of like artificial island in UAE?

In Bangladesh it is natural. When the sedimentation is settled , grass starts to grow. Then the government tries to plant mangrove plants . that is how the land is claimed.

Welcome to the forum :coffee: shorisrip

rwryah.jpg

Singapore is doing it artificially right?? They are turning their filths into ashes then somehow use them in the sea?? Kind of like artificial island in UAE?

In Bangladesh it is natural. When the sedimentation is settled , grass starts to grow. Then the government tries to plant mangrove plants . that is how the land is claimed.

Welcome to the forum :coffee: shorisrip

Yes Singapore doing it artificially. Oh now I understand how BD is getting the reclaimed lands

Im saying with time they will be. My home city Coimbatore (tier 2) already has plenty of Bengalis and others coming in and setting up the groundwork with all kinds of businesses and such or working in IT parks, managerial or engineering roles in the larger facilities like Bosch etc....or studying in TNAU and other universities and colleges.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...opportunity-in-Kovai/articleshow/33355558.cms

There are like 20 - 30 existing tier 2 cities of this size....and many dozens more will become similar tier 2+ cities.

Just searched Coimbatore, I won't consider it as a small town or a village... It's not surprising the Bengalis are not finding it difficult to stay in the city...

Well, you didn't get my point. Infrastructural development will create better facilities, employment opportunities - true... But those employments will be filled in by the growing population in those respective regions...

You need to understand the basic reason behind the marginalization of the migrants - the demographic change. When people from a distinct cultural and demographic background migrate in millions, it creates a suspicion among the locals that they could be reduced to a minority or could lose significant numerical advantage in their own native place ... That's what happening in the Northeast India... I don't see those infrastructural developments changing such mindset...

Not all of W.B is going to face such problems (even hypothetically) just like all of Bangladesh wont either....and definitely not in a very short time frame of say under 20 years either. Well within absorption and ramping up capacity of Tier I and Tier 2 cities including the ones that join these brackets over time much more quickly than even today.

Well, even if it's not the entirety of West Bengal, it will be significantly affected by climate change, enough to trigger a displacement of tens of millions of people... That's not a small number at all...

Brother, I can give you tons of examples, our county has given home to thousands of Persis/Zoroastrians when they were persecuted from Iran, our country has settled lakhs of uprooted Kashmiris within a year, and our country has accommodated crores of persecuted Bengalis from East bengal during the short periods of 1946-47 and 1971 and continuously during the all 70 years of partition in a smaller but steady scale. Our country has accommodated millions of uprooted Punjabis from Pakistan. And you are saying that some Indians will not have room during a slow migration spread over decades due to climate changes? Our country is mother India, and she has enough room for all her children, both own and adopted, she doesn't differentiate in her love for her children.

Let's not talk about the ancient migrations since the time and space was totally different back then. You talked about East Bengali refugees... Well, the incidents I mentioned like Bongal Kheda or Mandai Mssacre also targeted these refugees...

There are obviously different definitions for the term 'nation', if you really knew any of them, you'd have never argued that India is a nation... It's rather a country of different nations, as somebody quite beautifully explained in one of the earlier posts. And I guess it's in India's best interest to not present itself as a 'nation' as it would pretty much kill the spirit of one of your national motto 'Unity in Diversity'... Anyway, that's totally a different discussion altogether...

Bruh,my opinion is to make SAARC into something like NATO.We should be standing up for each other and co-operate in more ways than just development.Like contributing to make a strong standing SAARC force,our forces should train together and we should have similar opinions of mind when sitting on diplomatic table with non-SAARC members!

Just searched Coimbatore, I won't consider it as a small town or a village... It's not surprising the Bengalis are not finding it difficult to stay in the city...

I never said it was. I said its a Tier-II city....on its way to Tier-II+ status quite quickly (as more places join the regular Tier II ranking). I am hoping India can soon replicate what China did with its sheer number of Tier II and Tier III cities to get urbanisation from the 30% ballpark to the 50% ballpark without concentrating it too much.

Well, you didn't get my point. Infrastructural development will create better facilities, employment opportunities - true... But those employments will be filled in by the growing population in those respective regions...

You need to understand the basic reason behind the marginalization of the migrants - the demographic change. When people from a distinct cultural and demographic background migrate in millions, it creates a suspicion among the locals that they could be reduced to a minority or could lose significant numerical advantage in their own native place ... That's what happening in the Northeast India... I don't see those infrastructural developments changing such mindset...

I'm talking about it from the perspective of Indian Bengalis who integrate with India (since they are Indian) a whole lot better than Bangladeshis ever would. Again @Rain Man and @Roybot are the people to talk about this in more detail.

Well, even if it's not the entirety of West Bengal, it will be significantly affected by climate change, enough to trigger a displacement of tens of millions of people... That's not a small number at all...

Sure but if you factor in the size of the rest of India, the time these migrations would occur over and the framework already put in place by the Bengali community....and account for the trajectories the Indian cities and economy overall are on.....its not a drastically immense number either.

Last edited:
Bruh,my opinion is to make SAARC into something like NATO.We should be standing up for each other and co-operate in more ways than just development.Like contributing to make a strong standing SAARC force,our forces should train together and we should have similar opinions of mind when sitting on diplomatic table with non-SAARC members!
One word....Kashmir!
Even if we settle our differences with Indians and Pakistanis...they are not going to settle their differences anytime soon....a military union is out of the question...at best(and it is still being very optimistic) we could go for some kind of free trade agreement.

You must be young as you seem naive.

Do you have any idea that all this would lead to is Indian domination of the whole of South Asia?

Why would we want to antagonise our soon-to-be superpower friend China by jumping into a fully
fledged military alliance with India against China?

Let us start building mutually beneficial trade relations and leave it at that.

Last edited:
One word....Kashmir!
Even if we settle our differences with Indians and Pakistanis...they are not going to settle their differences anytime soon....a military union is out of the question...at best(and it is still being very optimistic) we could go for some kind of free trade agreement.

Bangladesh should focus on BBIN etc. now.

SAARC is effectively dead and will have to be resurrected with massive political and economic capital down the road when the time is right (if it ever is).

You are welcome to deal with Pakistan bilaterally of course.

You are completely right that SAARC as it stands today will never be a NATO in the short, mid and even long term (maybe extra long term).....and its not just Kashmir that's the reason.

Again Bangladesh is better off dealing with regional countries like India, Burma, Nepal, China etc to improve its security framework though bilateral agreements....and if its an official alliance down the road....probably India and Burma make the most sense along with SL. Of course many things have to change from now for it to happen....but its more likely than SAARC ever being one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom