What's new

Any questions regadring Sri Lanka - 2

My Questions

1.Do you guys also see look fair obsession in your masses ,like in most subcontinental people ?
2.Do you guys associate yourself with north india people ?( i heard that sinhala believe that they came from near bihar!)
3.What ancient language do people like to associate or respect ,prakrit(off course for buddhism) ,sanskrit ?
4.do many in your country visit places like bodhgaya ?
5.Why do you guys hate tamils ? Is the hate comes from better treatment of tamils in british era !! I'mean in india there are historical reasons for hindu-muslim conflicts or regional conflicts.
6.what do you think should be done to accommodate tamils within united srilanka as equal citizens ?
7.What are the differences among tamils and sinhalas in interpretating srilankan history ?
8.How do you view Ravana (Legend from ramayana) and Ram-setu(what do you call it at your side?).
9.How do lankans view pre british history !
10.is srilanka vegetarian as per teaching of buddha ?
11. do Buddhists in your country view islamic invaders(for their atrocities against bhikshus) in a bad manor like buddhist of Myanmar ?

Last edited:
My Questions

1.Do you guys also see look fair obsession in your masses ,like in most subcontinental people ?
2.Do you guys associate yourself with north india people ?( i heard that sinhala believe that they came from near bihar!)
3.What ancient language do people like to associate or respect ,prakrit(off course for buddhism) ,sanskrit ?
5.Why do you guys hate tamils ? Is the hate comes from better treatment of tamils in british era !! I'mean in india there are historical reasons for hindu-muslim conflicts or regional conflicts.
6.what do you think should be done to accommodate tamils within united srilanka as equal citizens ?
7.What are the differences among tamils and sinhalas in interpretating srilankan history ?
8.How do you view Ravana (Legend from ramayana) and Ram-setu(what do you call it at your side?).
10.is srilanka vegetarians as per teaching of buddha ?
11. do Buddhists in your country view islamic invaders(for their atrocities against bhikshus) in a bad manor like buddhist of Myanmar ?

Best to my opinion
1. Nope.. There maybe exceptions

2. Sinhalese people have roots in Bengal, Bihar, Orissa, Gujarat and Punjab.. Tamils have roots in TN, Andra and Kerala.. Moors have roots in Arabic peninsular and North Africa.. Burghers have roots in Europe..Malay's from South East Asia and Chinese,Parsi, Baratha, Sindi, Kaffir (Black).. So on

3. My mother tongue is not Sinhalese or Tamil, So i will leave this for the others

4. I think many do.. It's kind of a mecca to Buddhists.. And SL has some 70%

5. Nobody hate Tamils.. (I wonder if this is a serious question??) Matter of fact.. 50% of SL Tamils live quite comfortably among the rest of the population outside what the separatists calls their north east homeland.. Contrary to what the TN polity and propaganda media spews over there.. Tamils are not a uniform community in the island.. There are two type of Tamils Sri Lankan (North) and Indian origin (Central province)

6. There is absolutely no law in Sri Lanka that is discriminatory towards Tamils in particular.. Practice of the laws in a third world democracy is another matter.. Just like how India has to deal with caste politics despite your laws not recognizing it

7. I'd leave this to others

8. Mythical legends and Adams bridge

9. Sri Lanka has a 2500 year old civilization.. Distinct culture, Religious practices, Architecture and ingenuity found no where else in the world.. It is also written and in physical form.. So one can deny that.. Also it is a culmination of different cultures East and West of admixing though thousands of years to become what now is a very rich cultural fabric

10. Nope.. Buddha never preached vegetarianism..

11. There are fringe outfits from both sides Islamic and Buddhist.. But 99% of all the people abhor such outfits.. Nothing what so ever have happened akin to Myanmar

Last edited:
@Skyline .. Machun i hope you will deal with this thread you have created here before you leave.. It'was not a very smart idea.. I can foresee a massive troll orgy .. Even some of the most mundane questions asked so far does not look encouraging i'm afraid

@Gibbs - Mate, is Football followed & played in Sri Lanka ? :)

Or are Sri Lankans more or less like us - Cricket all the way with only the odd football fan amongst them ! :(

@Gibbs - Mate, is Football followed & played in Sri Lanka ? :)

Or are Sri Lankans more or less like us - Cricket all the way with only the odd football fan amongst them ! :(

Cricket is the most popular.. Then comes Rugby Union.. Actually there are more crowds for domestic Rugby matches than for domestic Cricket

Football is not widely followed.. SL was once a powerhouse in Asian athletics, Unfortunately that is not the case any more

Cricket is the most popular.. Then comes Rugby Union.. Actually there are more crowds for domestic Rugby matches than for domestic Cricket

Football is not widely followed.. SL was once a powerhouse in Asian athletics, Unfortunately that is not the case any more

Rugby is THE sport. :P

My Questions

10.is srilanka vegetarian as per teaching of buddha ?

1) Yes
2) No
3) People mostly like to associate themselves with English rather than any other language.
4) Many Buddhists do.
5) No one hate Tamils. We live like brothers. Only sang is that in the North reconciliation has to be done. Other parts of the country it is pretty much Ok.
6) Tamils are already accommodated. Only thing to do is to open the Northern Tamil people to more economical opportunities and free press.
7) Tamils believe they have a independent homeland which is false claim created by western educated Tamils in 1900s to boast their superiority.
8) Ravana is beginning to be revered in Sri Lanka currently. But there is a debate among the scholars. AFAIK there was no Ravana in Sri Lanka.
9) Question not clear
10) No. But many Buddhist refrain from eating meat.
11) Some do. But most don't.

Rugby is THE sport. :P

Hell yes!!

With%20the%20trophy.jpg

Na, football and boxing are better. Is football popular in Sri Lanka?

Rugby is a rowdy game played by gentlemen
Foot ball is a gentle game played by rowdies

Plus soccer players are over payed over acting prima donna's.. :p:

No it's not widely followed

@Gibbs @Azizam @Skyline - How is Pakistan viewed in Sri Lanka ?

Has the media managed to spin a negative perception of Pakistan in Sri Lanka or are we viewed with some positivity ?

To be frankly Pakistan is viewed as the heroin hub of South Asia. The recent bust on heroin has connection to Pakistan. Mostly many Pakistanis were also arrested for smuggling Herion.

Other than that Pakistan is considered Sri Lanka's friend and a power house in SA.

The undeniable champions of Sri Lankan Rugby.

My grand dad, grand uncle and my dad all played for Ceylon in Rugby before they migrated.. My grand dad is a patron of the Radella club (Ex planter)

Back
Top Bottom