What's new

Armenia proposal will see India bypass Azerbaijan to Europe, Russia

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: India may soon get another trade route to Russia and Europe if a proposal reportedly put forward by Armenia regarding the Persian Gulf-Black Sea corridor goes through.

The offer was made by senior Armenian officials last week during a visit to India by Armenia’s foreign minister Ararat Mirzoyan.

According to reports, the proposed corridor is expected to connect Mumbai with the port city of Bandar Abbas in Iran before going on to Armenia and onward to Russia or Europe.

The Persian Gulf-Black Sea corridor is slated to run parallel to the International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) and will bypass Azerbaijan which does not enjoy good ties with India due to its close relations with Turkey and Pakistan.

Armenia, which has developed close ties with India in recent times amid growing purchase of Indian defence equipment, has reportedly sought investment from India for the Persian Gulf-Black Sea corridor in Armenian territory.

“As the new cold war disrupts Russia-West economic and political relations, any large-scale transit of cargo passing the Russia-Europe border looks too risky for the international logistic and insurance companies,” Benyamin Poghosyan, founder and chairman of Yerevan, Armenia-based Center for Political and Economic Strategic Studies and senior research fellow at APRI-Armenia, was quoted as saying by ET.

“At the same time, India’s need for additional trade routes to reach Europe circumventing the Suez Canal remain valid. In parallel to the discussions around INSTC, Iran in 2016 put forward a new international transport corridor project, Persian Gulf-Black Sea, which should connect Iran with Europe via the South Caucasus. The negotiations were paused during the Covid pandemic, but all potential participants of the project – Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria and Greece-expressed their interest in participating,” he added.

India’s trade with Russia through the INSTC has grown since the start of the Russia-Ukraine war. However, Azerbaijan is a key part of the INSTC which connects Mumbai with Russia via Iran and the Caspian Sea.

Tell me how you will bypass Iran and persuade them to move from Chinese camp amd disengage from signed 25 year strategic partnership, that is just start.

I am listening.

Tell me how you will bypass Iran and persuade them to move from Chinese camp amd disengage from signed 25 year strategic partnership, that is just start.

I am listening.
who told you that India will bypass Iran

who told you that India will bypass Iran
What did you not understand? China has similar plans which includes Iran and you are not in position to counter it.
China is shaping and influensing middle east which includes wider scope then this indian pipedream. India is to weak to oppose it and be competitive for that kind of influence, maybe in far distant future.

Tell me how you will bypass Iran
I didn't read the article as my user name indicates skimming. I thought it talks about bypassing Azerbaijan not Iran.

What did you not understand? China has similar plans which includes Iran and you are not in position to counter it.
China is shaping and influensing middle east which includes wider scope then this indian pipedream. India is to weak to oppose it and be competitive for that kind of influence, maybe in far distant future.
What does Iran lose if it disobeys Chinese diktat?

I didn't read the article as my user name indicates skimming. I thought it talks about bypassing Azerbaijan not Iran.
And i meant that Iran is not on the table for such project, you are to late and not strong to change Iran current orbit.

Added something. See above.
Well they are in commitment to extend railway towards Afganistan and further to China as part of much wider economic pact, which cancel "need" for this mamooth chanel with uncertain perspective. They have more lucrative and sooner prospects then this utopian one. Once China connect railway to Caspian sea alomg with almost finished corridor to Gwadar, they finished the shortening of trade routes.
Good luck to make you parralel ones after that.

I am listening.
You think China controls Iran's foreign policy. Iran has pretty good relations with India.

You think China controls Iran's foreign policy. Iran has pretty good relations with India.
No, but it is not rational to asume that they will jump in to undefined long term project while they have full dinner served on their table. That is all, if this initiative came 20 years ago maybe it would see light of the day.
Realisticly speaking India has nothing to offer Iran which is more atractive then China inrastructure, defence amd communications ongoing projects.
And one more thing even if this channel is built right now indian industry and ecoomy could not utilise it in proper way, so far it is visionary utopian thinking.

Last edited:
No, but it is not rational to asume that they will jump in to undefined long term project while they have full dinner served on their table. That is all, if this initiative came 20 years ago maybe it would see light of the day.
Realisticly speaking India has nothing to offer Iran which is more atractive then China inrastructure, defence amd communications ongoing projects.
And one more thing even if this channel is built right now indian industry and ecoomy could not utilise it in proper way, so far it is visionary utopian thinking.
No country bets on only one thing for their survival except for Pakistan. Iran will be happy to diversify their portfolio to avoid full Chinese dominance. Pakistan put all its fortune on CPEC only to export cheap donkeys through this route.

Waste of bandwidth...

There is multiple land routes and always was there.. Iran - - > Turkey or alternatively Iran > Armenia > Georgia > Turkey or Russia..

This Article is intellectual bankrupt and written by someone who doesn't know anything about geography...

You can access it by using long routes but you gotta go thru China or Pakistan then to central Asia and then Russia and onto the beltics but that is hell'va long route which is economically not feasible..

Hence India uses the Iran route via the Hormuz and then on land from Iran to Armenia or Turkey then onto Europe..

Mostly all of this Article is waste of time as India uses the Ocean and via suez Canal for like 95% of all its trade with Europe and everyone uses that canal..

Let's assume your goods arrive in Georgia? Where do you wanna go from Georgia because you can't use the Russian routes that is a too long round about.. You will have to go thru Turkey there is no other route.. Russia itself is using the turkish route..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom