PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1836974,000900010004.htm

Colonel’s son thrashed by paratroopers

Rahul Singh

New Delhi, November 5, 2006

Two young Indian army officers from the elite Parachute Regiment have landed in trouble after they allegedly beat up a merchant navy sailor, who happens to be the son of an Armoured Corps Colonel, in Agra last week.

The army, which places high premium on discipline, has instituted a court of inquiry into the incident after the boy’s family lodged a protest with Brigadier NS Ghai, commander, 50 (Independent) Para Brigade.

The officers involved in the incident — a Captain and a Lieutenant — belong to the 7th Battalion of the Parachute Regiment. Raghav Chaturvedi, 24, was on his way to the market when a roadside altercation took an ugly turn and the two officers “forcibly took him to their unit” and thrashed him, according to the boy’s mother who works at the Mughal Sheraton, Agra.Wishing not to be named, she said on Sunday, “I just hope corrective action is taken. My son was thrashed so badly that he could not even speak after the incident. He was in complete shock. If action is not taken against the wrong-doers, such incidents will keep happening.”

Playing down the incident, a senior officer of the para brigade said the matter had been sorted out with the officers tendering a written apology to the boy’s family. However, the family refuted the claim saying it was still awaiting justice. The boy’s father is posted in Babina Cantt.

Officers in the brigade said the two paratroopers had only “threatened” the boy and not beaten him up. But the family says it has medical evidence to back its version of the story.

Email rahulsingh@hindustantimes.com

:angry: this elite behaviour is indeed bad.

i think elite of Subcontinent are realy living in complexes of superiority.

the incident remind me of such one recently in Islamabad.

why such bug heads are in armies of both the countries.

Hate to tell you this. But this is a problem in all armies. the problem is that people such as these guys make poor civilians but very good soldiers.

whatever happened to good soldiers with character? They are supposed to be heroes to the civilians.

Well in answer to your question Asim.

The reason for this type of behaviour stems from the training systems in place most armies. In which the person is treated as if he is (for lack of a better word!) pond scum when he starts the training. When he completes the program he has become elite or a "superman" more than the people around him.

As i said this makes fantastic infantrymen. (the British parachute regiment is a good example) However they are truely awful people in civilian life.

cest la vie as the french say.

I heard many elders say that "fauji da dimagh gittaeyan wich honda hai" Explain the reality of this anyone. I literaly understand the meaning but please apply it in broad terms.

Superman saves stranded cats from trees.

With great power, comes great responsibility. Well they might make infantrymen then, but I'm hoping they'd never make COs.

Who else are they fighting for? The nation is not just a piece of land...

It looks like someone has been watching super hero films;)

Most soldiers don't fight for altruistic reasons or politics or even patriotism. They do so for their comrades (Espirit de corp) And elite attitudes do enter the officer corps. It does help when fighting though.

Is that sarcasm?
Well.. Can't say if it qualified but sarcasm was surely attempted.

Merchant Navy isn't part of the Indian Armed Forces Jana. Plus I would make such sweeping generalizations. People fought because men usually fight in bars. Not because one was a Colonel's son and the others were Jawans.

They just fought because .. hmm .. they were prolly drunk, too machoistic and running a bit too high on testosterone .. :P

Btw I like to witness drunken fights in bars. They are extremely creative .. :D

Don't be amazed at this news. This is nothing new. Civilians have been beaten by army men in the past too

Police men have been beaten for stopping and checking officer's cars

Politicians have been beaten, hanged and sent in exile for talking against army

So why to get amazed if a colonels son is beaten. At least they deserve these pleasures for saving our country from our enemies like India and corrupt politicians like NS/BB.

Are you saying civilians don't beat up other civilians? Human nature.. basic human nature.

So all of you agree this was fight between 2 armymen and son of senior armymen. Its so common.

But why are we discussing such topics?

Back
Top Bottom