What's new

As U.S. Leaves Afghanistan, India Reconsiders Iran Policy

"How this so called failed state has conducted the most free & fare election of its history?"

http://http://news.yahoo.com/claims-pakistan-vote-rigging-affect-8-seats-114047291.html

Son, I understand your patriotism but the internet is not the right place to show it. Regarding your concerns don't shove it into a third party like India. That's a UN list BTW , Pakistan in 1960s was a good investment not today. The proof lies above you.

My son might be of your age if you rightly calculate, this has nothing to do with patriotism but simply an assessment of a country based on the lenses you wear. If you go by the assessment of Lisa Curtis, G Parthasarthy and Bharat Verma Pakistan have already been a history on the world map but this is simply not the case.

You rightly mentioned in previous post that Pakistan of 60’s was in fact a leading economy of developing world and South Korea has emulated Pakistan’s economic policies at that time even they have appointed leading Pakistani economist Dr. Mahboobul Haq as their economic advisor the same fellow who has invented HDI ( human development index) with our Nobel laurite Amrtya Sen.

My son might be of your age if you rightly calculate, this has nothing to do with patriotism but simply an assessment of a country based on the lenses you wear. If you go by the assessment of Lisa Curtis, G Parthasarthy and Bharat Verma Pakistan have already been a history on the world map but this is simply not the case.

You rightly mentioned in previous post that Pakistan of 60’s was in fact a leading economy of developing world and South Korea has emulated Pakistan’s economic policies at that time even they have appointed leading Pakistani economist Dr. Mahboobul Haq as their economic advisor the same fellow who has invented HDI ( human development index) with our Nobel laurite Amrtya Sen.

2 pics, lad (btw I'm 23)

karachi
karachi.jpg

seoul
seoul_yeouido_skyline_by_night_by_christophgerlach-d49k8p3.jpg

tell a new story.

@DESERT FIGHTER, - your question was what influence does iran have over afghanistan, the short answer is close to nothing.

Pakistani options are huge wrt to taliban but I suspect that gone are the days when you could have complete control over taliban and assoc. For a change instead of negotiation with factions in afghanistan, why dont you actually engage the afghan government. If pakistan is able to engage India diplomatically and on occasion score points on India, which is almost 7 times bigger economy and mighter military power, Imagine what kind of influence Pakistan can have over afghans which is almost 20 times smalles in both economy, and military comparison to pakistan.

Indian options are limited, to ensure we can provide the optimal support to the fledgling government of afghanistan, we should be looking to all options to negate the oppressive regime of taliban.
1> look to Turkmenistan, Tajikistan and Iran to facilitate medical aid, food rations, humanitarian supplies to Afghanistan.
2> Use Chabahar port for import and export of heavy machinery and old economy infrastructure goods.
3> Enter bilateral dialogue with Pakistan's civilian government to address their apprehensions about Indian influence in Afghanistan, to ensure at least the civilian government is not aligned to resurgence of Taliban in Afghanistan.
4> Increase infrastructure investment in Afghanistan, with the hopes of bringing china into the same game. Once FDI's starts in afghanistan's mineral markets, proxies of these investors will have to accommodate the new government.

My feeling is this time after the withdrawal of most of the US forces, the government will not collapse as it did in the times of najibullah. Karzai has served two terms and will be on his way out, hopefully someone like Dr Abdullah or Gen Fahim will come and into power and provide better integration to forces.

Apart from that afganistan government should seek to devote some of it's air bases to NATO/ISAF for at least the next 20 years or so, to ensure even if the writ of government in some areas is reduced due to taliban presence, still operators can keep raining havoc through drones and provide intel for both afghans and be the realtime war room training scenario for the Nato/Isaf forces for future conflicts.

Presence of even a small contingent of foreign forces, especially like US/france/UK will ensure that no country is providing overt support to taliban fighters.

India should keep continue training afghan officers, in addition India should provide maximum assistance is drafting the curriculum for the afghan civil service officers and train them in India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazed, though having 12k post but little knowledge.
U know I am sure.... Never mind... I will tell u the facts as u ask them,.
1. THe relations between GoP and GoA isnt great much like Hugging and kissing. Hope u know that. If not see links in net.

Never claimed it was...

2. Affghanistan is a land locked country. It should get its import through Pakistan or Afghanistan.

It does more than 95% supplies through Pakistan.

3. Pakistan western border, isnt exactly safe like a bank. Lots of attack take place of NATO's convoy's already.

What exactly does tht has to do with my post?

4. In future, any strained relationship, Pakistan might stop transit through its border.

After the recent clashes it would have been ... but not!
5. So the development of Chabahar port, and road and rail connectivity with Iraninans gain prominence.

Still longer route.. and USA wouldnt really want tht!

6. It can provide Afghanistan with less cost for Oil , if needed.

So can central asian states..

7. It provides a way for Iran and India with access to Afghanistan and Central Asian markets.

Good for them and you.. what abt after 2014?

8. Iran does not send terrorist to Afghanistan.

Yeah .. they just shot 50 afghans crossing into afghanistan...
9. Due to Iran's anti US and Israel policies, there is a chance, that GoA will wish good governance with Iranians, to quell Taliban support. Just to show Afghanistan govt is stronger in Public eyes

GoA is made up of northern alliance so sure they would... but what abt the majority of afghanistan? and iranian support to quell taliban? :lol: thts new!

Never claimed it was...

It does more than 95% supplies through Pakistan.

What exactly does tht has to do with my post?

After the recent clashes it would have been ... but not!

Still longer route.. and USA wouldnt really want tht!

So can central asian states..

Good for them and you.. what abt after 2014?

Yeah .. they just shot 50 afghans crossing into afghanistan...

GoA is made up of northern alliance so sure they would... but what abt the majority of afghanistan? and iranian support to quell taliban? :lol: thts new!

Whatever!!! U wanted reasons why Afghanistan would like Iran, and i did provide a host of factors.

I asked what influence does Iran have over afghanistan? not why afghanistan would "like" iran...

I did mention my points over there. It doesnt mean, only if the people are Shias , they need to have some influence.
Iran standing up to the west are looked upon by many Muslims. Afghan Muslims also see that. For Oil, trade, Iran is important.
Thats why even USA have involved Iran in its talks with Afghanistan, and its not without reason

I did mention my points over there. It doesnt mean, only if the people are Shias , they need to have some influence.

Funny man.. the only influence Iran has... is over the persian speaking NA... and they never helped them even in the 90s.. NA itself is made up of war criminals or warlords who were brutal and commited crimes against the pashtuns.. read about people like Adbul rashid dostum...to get the idea.. of how they are seen by the majority..

Iran standing up to the west are looked upon by many Muslims. Afghan Muslims also see that. For Oil, trade, Iran is important.
Thats why even USA have involved Iran in its talks with Afghanistan, and its not without reason.

Just because iran took a stand against US doesnt mean they have influence over muslim countries.. bar the shia ones.. as for afghans... even iran faces issues like drugs,refugees etc from afghanistan... and not to forget they just killed 50 afghans this week trying to cross into afghanistan... im sure afghans also saw that? as for trade.. majority of afghanistans supplies come from Pakistan and they use Pakistani ports.. and Oil? would USA want afghanistan to buy oil?when they forced india to stop buying it from iran or quit the IPI? CARS have enough oil for afghanistan ... anyways... USA even involved Turkiye for that matter... nothing came out reguarding iran did it?

How this so called failed state has conducted the most free & fare election of its history?
Still you cannot justify putting Pakistan in the league of NK, Syria & Somalia...
To sum up the whole argument; Pakistan is neither isolated nor failed nation.

This "Democracy" that you speak of is still a Bonsai Democracy after Six Decades of existence.
To sum up the argument; it took 6 decades for it to achieve 'back-to-back' Civilian Governments.
When did it even hold its first full Elections in its history?
When did it write its first Constitution? How long did that Constitution last? How many years was this "Democracy" run without a Constitution? And how many times?
Last question- When will the 'Khakis' take over next?

No Indian has answered me yet.. what influence does Iran have over Afghanistan?

Is not Iran a neighbor to Afghanistan and would not Afghans want good relations with Iran.
Mind you Afghans have a border dispute with Pakistan and they don't have one with Iran

Back
Top Bottom