What's new

At least 149 dead, dozens injured in Halloween stampede in Seoul, South Korea

At least 149 people were killed and between 65 to 150 more hurt in a stampede during Halloween festivities in the Itaewon district of Seoul, South Korea — the first outdoor, mask-free celebration of the holiday since the 2020 COVID pandemic, local media reported.

There were about 100,000 revelers out celebrating in the popular nightlife area, according to Yonhap News.

Officials warned the death toll could rise further, with 19 of the injured in serious condition.

Videos posted online showed people in fancy costumes being pushed through the narrow streets. Some appeared to climb walls on either side in an attempt to escape.

Source: https://nypost.com/2022/10/29/at-le...d-in-halloween-stampede-in-seoul-south-korea/
OMG, this is why I stick to small town and never follow the crowd, this is the worst kind of death!

RIP to all victims.

Several Chinese tourists have been confirmed dead.

This was caused by the incompetent Korean government. They should foresee possible crowding and gathering and prepare for anti stampede.

If they can send police to control and divert the crowd before the activity starts, the accident will not occur.

I have been very often to Singapore it is very westernized. The west is sexy. China will become soon westernized too. Chinese will run around like westernized zombies.
No, the Chinese have never been westernized, they are just modernization. We like to wear jeans and T-shirts, but we don't like to wear suits. We like watching movies and concerts, but we don't like watching Western dramas. We have never abandoned our culture. Calligraphy, Peking Opera, writing, martial arts and so on. We are not westernized.

Modernization is not equal to westernized!

Last edited:
Anyone who have seen itaewon near festivities should know that place was a ticking time bomb for tragedy. Itaewon is a crazy place teeming with foreigners ,especially american GI. There is a sense of wildness in the area, I was there 4 years ago ,just passed by it on route to the matrimonial hall via itaewon ,that place didn't feel Korea from the seer no.of foreigners.That region is out of control .

S.Korea is the test lab of imploding east Asian society by the action of western agents.China and the rest must learn from them. How did S.korea ended up with this crazy halloween frenzy? thanks to the US military base with 30-50k us soldiers + their families stationed there, so many Koreans died a tragical death over western cultural practice and individualism.
What a waste of young life in a nation already suffering from lack of birth.

This is the sort of price korea pays for relentless western appeasement and letting in western ideas rot their own natural values.
Without all those westerners ,itaewon wouldn't have turned out like that.

American culture is fun.

While our tradition is more like a bothersome duty.

I think we Asians should learn from Americans, to have fun.

Turn our tradition into something fun, and in the end, even foreigners will celebrate it as well.

This could have happened anywhere and it is very sad to see so many young people lose their lives. My thoughts and prayers for those families who may have lose their only child... God forgive.

That being said the rampant stupidity of following the celebrity culture and being selfish led to many of the deaths.

People literally rushed into the area where some dude was doing his piece leading to the crush. Many ignored the police and ambulance workers and continued to dance and laugh. What on earth happened to people's sense of civil duty?
You can say everyone complains about the young when they got older but I'm sorry today's generation Z really set themselves apart for their inane pursuit of everything that makes them happy at the expense of others.

Less traditional East Asian does not necessarily mean "westernized". Some countries may try to ditch their traditions to create new ones (as Mao Zetung's China), but the new ones do not always mean "Western".
The so-called traditional East Asian culture is actually "华夏" culture. "华" means beautiful clothes, "夏" means great buildings.

The ideological core of "华夏" is Confucianism. No matter how the history of China, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Singapore and other countries with Confucian ideology changes, Confucian ideology has penetrated into the bone marrow of these countries. We can simply feel that the people of these countries are different. They are industrious, disciplined, law-abiding, united and friendly. Their ideas are not "westernized".

While clothing and architecture have indeed changed in modern times, clothing and architecture in Western countries also changed after the Industrial Revolution. This is modernization, not westernization.

"华夏" only means beautiful clothes and magnificent buildings, but even in China, clothes and buildings in history are constantly changing. It never has a fixed appearance. The so-called "tradition" refers to the tradition of which dynasty?

Since other dynasties were able to constantly modify costumes and buildings, PRC certainly could.

Costumes of various dynasties:

Hanfu is still very common in modern China:

https://****/Slavyangrad/17396

**** = t dot me

🥁🥁🥁😆😆😆

An interesting detail has been pointed out by Chinese analysts and commentators.

It turns out that US troops are present at mass events in South Korea as additional security.

As we can see, they have had no effect - they have not prevented anything in terms of tragedy, but the fact of their presence is hushed up carefully. Otherwise, it will not be pretty in terms of 'how much sovereignty the Republic of South Korea has got' and some uncomfortable questions will arise.

At the same time when security at public events in China is beefed up - thanks to which everything goes off without casualties in a much larger number of participants than yesterday in the S.Korea - we invariably read the rubbish about "See, there's a totalitarian state - the army is on the streets. Of course they will start crushing people with tanks in about five minutes, this is China, why else would you need the army.

@Boris_rozhin
Join Slavyangrad
@Slavyangrad
Join SLG 🔺 Intelligence Briefings, Strategy and Analysis, Expert Community

There are 100s of young Koreans in Bulgaria, running around and talking with young people about the Christian "God Mother"...
Many Korean Christians pretend to be Chinese or employ some Chinese in Xinjiang to preach in Central Asian countries and Pakistan.

There have been news reports about such things in China, and the Xinjiang government of China has warned local people not to accept the employment of Korean missionaries.

Pakistani friends should call the police immediately if they see "Chinese" missionaries. Please keep in mind that most Chinese people are atheists and most Koreans are Christians. Korean people and Chinese people are very similar in appearance, which is difficult for you to distinguish.

It turns out that US troops are present at mass events in South Korea as additional security.

It turns out you are full of bullcrap as usual. The primary security responsibility remains with the police and other civilian agencies. You are just a lowlife trying to project your agenda on to a tragedy.

The death toll now stands at 153, sadly.

Dont go to places where there are so many crowd, unless for important religious duty like Hajj.

The last time I went to music concert (heavy metal music concert LOL) when I was still at 16 years old ( I think there are around 80.000 people there/football stadium), the last time I went to important football match where there are around 70.000-80.000 spectators is when I was at 17 years old.

Last edited:
I only want to keep going to basketball match with 3000-16.000 crowd in one stadium, basketball match is pretty save IMO.

The fact there are posters in here blaming this on Halloween and American culture is absolutely pathetic.

Koreans are free to celebrate how they want. They were there by CHOICE. This is a tragedy, and to act as if this couldn’t happen at another event is absurd.

The fact there are posters in here blaming this on Halloween and American culture is absolutely pathetic.

Koreans are free to celebrate how they want. They were there by CHOICE. This is a tragedy, and to act as if this couldn’t happen at another event is absurd.

This is American culture. Halloween has nothing to do with Asian culture. It doesn't belong in Asian countries.

I don't think they're blaming Halloween. I think they are accusing the Korean government of being influenced by western culture, which leads to the Korean government using too liberal attitude in its work.

The Korean government should foresee the risk of accidents in advance and send police to intervene in time when large crowds gather. Instead of shifting too much of the responsibility of the government to civil institutions and society, as in the United States.

Halloween, the eve of All Saints Day, is not a Christian holiday or observance. It is a western entertainment culture construction, meant to sell candy and frivolous, useless "stuff". In the USA it was adopted by the gay community in the 1980's as a big "coming out" opportunity. An opportunity to mainstream gay creative sensibilities on the sly, in the face of anti-gay Christian teachings. All of the entertainment industry hype and success of vampire storylines also amplified Halloween. It is the absolute worst of Western culture for any society to imitate.

Halloween, the eve of All Saints Day, is not a Christian holiday or observance. It is a western entertainment culture construction, meant to sell candy and frivolous, useless "stuff". In the USA it was adopted by the gay community in the 1980's as a big "coming out" opportunity. An opportunity to mainstream gay creative sensibilities on the sly, in the face of anti-gay Christian teachings. All of the entertainment industry hype and success of vampire storylines also amplified Halloween. It is the absolute worst of Western culture for any society to imitate.
It is even worse than I thought... Hey @Beny Karachun, bud you want a piece of Halloween now that we know the facts?

Back
Top Bottom