What's new

Aurat Marches to be held across Pakistan to mark Women's Day

In the current Bangladesh parliament, there are a total of 71 women lawmakers, 50 of whom occupy reserved seats, out of 300 total. Don't know Pakistan situation.

I think generally about 20% of the seats in all national, regional, and local assemblies are reserved for women, plus they are free to sand in open seats. I don't have exact numbers, but there are many women who have won on open seats.
If I had to provide rough figures, there should be around 70-80 women in the National Assembly, and close to 20 in the Senate.

In the case of minority groups, the women can be elected on seats reserved for minorities, plus can be appointed on seats reserved for women separately from the first right, plus are allowed to stand on open seats.

I think generally about 20% of the seats in all national, regional, and local assemblies are reserved for women, plus they are free to sand in open seats. I don't have exact numbers, but there are many women who have won on open seats.
If I had to provide rough figures, there should be around 70-80 women in the National Assembly, and close to 20 in the Senate.

In the case of minority groups, the women can be elected on seats reserved for minorities, plus can be appointed on seats reserved for women separately from the first right, plus are allowed to stand on open seats.

Appreciate the information. looking at this - women in Pakistan seem to have opportunities no worse than other countries in the subcontinent. India is another story.

RankCountryLower or single HouseUpper chamber

Elections Seats*Women% WElectionsSeats*Women% W

111Bangladesh12.20183507320.9----
116Pakistan07.20183426920.203.20181042019.2
148India 04.20195407814.406.20202412711.2

Last edited:
Appreciate the information. looking at this - women in Pakistan seem to have opportunities no worse than other countries in the subcontinent.

Very much so, issues exist, but those issues are part of being a developing nation.

Another special opportunity I know first hand, one of my friend from Lahore has this Ghussa wala Mamu, the whole family is scared of him, but everyone knows his 5" wife beats him regularly, it's an open family secret :rofl:
Get ready for the female society lol

Very much so, issues exist, but those issues are part of being a developing nation.

Another special opportunity I know first hand, one of my friend from Lahore has this Ghussa wala Mamu, the whole family is scared of him, but everyone knows his 5" wife beats him regularly, it's an open family secret :rofl:
Get ready for the female society lol

there are a lot of incorrect stereotypes about muslim countries. but no one talks about how much our women hit us. the country that topped the list of countries where women hit men werent the feminist capitals of the world (USA, Sweden or any other Western country). it was Egypt.

there are a lot of incorrect stereotypes about muslim countries. but no one talks about how much our women hit us. the country that topped the list of countries where women hit men werent the feminist capitals of the world (USA, Sweden or any other Western country). it was Egypt.

This is shameful....

None in a marriage should be hitting each other.

At that point, better to separate and trade in your partner for a new one..

The $25 million Gender Empowerment program that Trump mentioned while rejecting the bill is at work! It might not be $25 million. It could be more.

There is a conscious effort to normalize gay, lesbian culture and to give space to homosexuality in society. This is a focused effort to destabilize Muslim societies.

I think than these NGO fun fests which are mainly optics for NGO's.

Got to justify their funding from their sponsors, whether they be domestic or foreign. But in all seriousness, there is a section of the population that firmly believes in these ideas, regardless of financial support, and this March is their one outlet. Some vent because of the hardships in their lives, or the trauma they have endured, while other may want to create a spectacle of themselves, like that naked lady from last year, Astagfirullah. Who know’s if she was mentally ill or something else.

If people have a constructive outlet, the majority of people will use these marches for their intended purposes, and others will always come to vent or start a mela.

This is all the more reason to focus on human capital development, on the terms of our own culture, to prevent another culture imposing its mores on us.

Last edited:
These people need to be starved of the oxygen of publicity. Bored rich housewives with nothing better to do.

Or worse, college students with no intention to work. So yes, by all means March, but the government shouldn’t give them any coverage, but take it as motivation to continue human capital development. Perhaps Shireen Mizari as the Human rights minister should be commemorating International women’s day at a separate event; recognizing women that have made a big difference in the past year, such as those helping to fight COVID-19 or the economic effects of it.

We know the media will milk these marches because it’s a spectacle that will bring viewers. let’s be honest, most people want to see a circus.

I like this march, this will eventually bring the changes that Pakistan needs.
Acknowledgement is the key.
Lots of reforms needed.

Published March 8, 2021
Updated 11 minutes ago

Activists of the Aurat March hold placards during a rally to mark International Women's Day in Islamabad on March 8, 2020. — AFP/File's Day in Islamabad on March 8, 2020. — AFP/File

Activists of the Aurat March hold placards during a rally to mark International Women's Day in Islamabad on March 8, 2020. — AFP/File
Preparations were being finalised on Monday as organisers geared up to hold Aurat Marches across the country to mark International Women's Day and call for the protection of women's rights.

The first Aurat March was held in 2018 in Karachi. The next year, it was extended to more cities, including Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad, Larkana, and Hyderabad. This year too, the marches will be held in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, and other cities of Pakistan.

In Karachi, the march is scheduled to take place at Frere Hall. In view of the prevailing coronavirus situation, organisers have emphasised standard operating procedures (SOPs), including wearing masks and maintaining a distance of six feet.

The Karachi march will also be broadcast live.

The Aurat March in Lahore will be held in the afternoon from the Lahore Press Club to the PIA Building.

Each chapter of the Aurat March has its own manifesto with the Karachi chapter focusing on patriarchal violence; Lahore on addressing healthcare workers and women’s health; and the Islamabad march is dedicated to the crisis of care.

Last year, the situation at the Islamabad Aurat March turned precarious after male participants of a rival 'Haya March' by religious parties threw stones at participants of the Aurat March, injuring at least one person. The situation was brought under control by police.

Tributes
Meanwhile, tributes have poured in with ministers and politicians recalling the role of women in their lives while simultaneously calling for them to be given equal rights.

Army chief Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa in his message said Pakistani women had "contributed immensely for the glory and honour of our nation". Women were also at the forefront of the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, he noted.

Talking about women in uniform, Gen Bajwa said they have "proved their mettle by contributing copiously in diverse fields serving the nation & humanity".
"They deserve our immense respect & gratitude," he added.

National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser said that the protection of women's rights was the "top priority" of the government because it was "imperative for the formation of a progressive society", according to a report by Radio Pakistan.

Minister for Information Shibli Faraz said March 8 "highlighted women's high status in society and their commendable services in different sectors".

He said that the Constitution was a guarantor of women's rights and they had played an important role in the building and progress of the country.

"Making women powerful and protected in society by ensuring equal rights and equal opportunities for progress for them is our determination," he stressed.

PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz also talked about women empowerment, saying she "dream of a Pakistan where women excel in every field and play leading roles".

Federal Education Minister Shafqat Mahmood paid tribute to all the women in his life, including his mother, wife, daughters, sisters and his colleagues at work and in politics.
"Thank you for making the world a better place," he wrote.

Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry used the occasion to encourage girls to opt for science subjects to change their and the country's destiny.

Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan (MQM-P) leader and newly-elected senator Faisal Subzwari reminded people that respecting women also meant "respecting their liberty of making choices".
He called on people to encourage the women in their families, adding "we as a society badly need educated, confident & courageous women".

@Horus and it begins!

very good movement for liberation of pakistani women .
I like this march, this will eventually bring the changes that Pakistan needs.
Acknowledgement is the key.
Lots of reforms needed.

you are right pak society needs it badly .

PDF uncles soiling their Depend diapers over Aurat March as usual.

There's really nothing you all can do about it. Pakistan is changing for the better. Your ashrafia cover of 'mashriqi values, rivaj and morals' will not be used to suppress and persecute women anymore.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom