What's new

Bangladesh Air Force is interested in Dassault Aviation's Rafale

It is not just this 16 plane MRCA contract they will be looking at.

BD economy is quite large now and expected to grow strongly for a long time.

Whoever wins this contract is likely to sell more to BD in the future.
IMHO ... if it's Rafale ... stick with one platform until you get a next-gen/5th-gen fighter option to complement it.

So, start with 16 Rafales, and then with time grow it to the 3-4 squadron strength you were planning on. Once you've fully absorbed that (along with the support systems, e.g., AEW&C, UAVs, etc), then move towards a FGFA: maybe 1-2 squadrons. Basically, and I said this earlier, BAF should pattern its procurement style based on Poland, forget the Indo-Pak line of thinking.

I think the APG-83 would also be off the table as well as the F-35-derived electronics, that would render all IAF fighters apart from the Rafale blind. 16 F-16 Block 70/72 with AIM-120D would mean that IAF would always be nervous of BAF on their Eastern border as only Rafales could counter it.

BD would never serve enough of a function for USA, like being allied with the USA against China, to get this kind of capability.

F-35 derived electronics would be too advanced for BAF and we will not get them for sure. I understand your point of view of trying to deter IAF however, at the moment the urgent need is to neutralize MAF. So, Refurb F-16 Blk52 with upgrade including AESA radar, CFT, avionics & sensors available for BAF and AIM-120C7 will be a great start...
As for AN/APG-83, even if they are off the table then there is no problem since BAF needs a good AESA for the birds and AN/APG-80 used in the Desert Falcons is one such radar. The latter radar may as well be on the table...
What I'm most curious about is the Anti-ship and land attack missiles that will be made available if BAF actually makes the purchase. Will we get 280km range AGM-84 AShCM and 270km range AGM-84H/K SLAM? These Harpoons will be amazing additions IMO.
What are your thoughts on availability of the Harpoon for BAF? @Avicenna BN can also integrate RGM-84 in future Frigates and UGM-84 in future Subs.....

F-35 derived electronics would be too advanced for BAF and we will not get them for sure. I understand your point of view of trying to deter IAF however, at the moment the urgent need is to neutralize MAF. So, Refurb F-16 Blk52 with upgrade including AESA radar, CFT, avionics & sensors available for BAF and AIM-120C7 will be a great start...
As for AN/APG-83, even if they are off the table then there is no problem since BAF needs a good AESA for the birds and AN/APG-80 used in the Desert Falcons is one such radar. The latter radar may as well be on the table...
What I'm most curious about is the Anti-ship and land attack missiles that will be made available if BAF actually makes the purchase. Will we get 280km range AGM-84 AShCM and 270km range AGM-84H/K SLAM? These Harpoons will be amazing additions IMO.
What are your thoughts on availability of the Harpoon for BAF? @Avicenna BN can also integrate RGM-84 in future Frigates and UGM-84 in future Subs.....

I dunno man.

I guess it depends on how much the US and Bangladesh value each other and are willing to dance.

IMHO ... if it's Rafale ... stick with one platform until you get a next-gen/5th-gen fighter option to complement it.
Brother, India will get Rafale too. So how can we also stick with Rafale? Our armed forces don't believe India and will never be allied with them unlike our politicians.

I dunno man.

I guess it depends on how much the US and Bangladesh value each other and are willing to dance.

In that case nothing is for certain...
How much Uncle Sam values BD is a total mystery as of now. However, their recent willingness to sell advanced platforms to BD can be a positive pointer.
As for BD it will be a critical geopolitical game. We will have to make difficult choices and change our foreign policy significantly.....

It is not just this 16 plane MRCA contract they will be looking at.

BD economy is quite large now and expected to grow strongly for a long time.

Whoever wins this contract is likely to sell more to BD in the future.
I sometimes feel that maybe F 18 should be the best choice as its a perfect maritime fighter. In order to counter naval blockade maybe it's the best way? F - 35 is even better I guess, though don't know it's total cost.

In that case nothing is for certain...
How much Uncle Sam values BD is a total mystery as of now. However, their recent willingness to sell advanced platforms to BD can be a positive pointer.
As for BD it will be a critical geopolitical game. We will have to make difficult choices and change our foreign policy significantly.....

I think Bangladesh has some value to the US for the following reasons:

1)Improved financial capability to purchase large ticket items. i.e. a new market

2)The US is starting to lose its traditional allies somewhat. i.e. Philippines.

3)Bangladesh is essentially a benign entity which is fairly responsible as far as nations go.

The above three are of course really broad and general but illustrate that in 2020 as opposed to the 90's there is a real prospect for the US to entertain sales to Bangladesh. i.e. we already see the AH-64E being possibly bought.

So now it looks like France wants to get in the action.

This is excellent.

It opens up the prospect of advanced munitions and systems becoming available for export as Bangladesh seems to have several options at this time. i.e. AMRAAM, Harpoon, etc.

Everyone loves cash!

In terms of politics, I say stick with the US and UK.

China to some extent.

France and Russia are money wh-res with limited political benefit.

Also, develop as much as you can a grassroots domestic capability and co-operate with second tier players such as Turkey, etc....

Last edited:
I think Bangladesh has some value to the US for the following reasons:

1)Improved financial capability to purchase large ticket items. i.e. a new market

2)The US is starting to lose its traditional allies somewhat. i.e. Philippines.

3)Bangladesh is essentially a benign entity which is fairly responsible as far as nations go.

The above three are of course really broad and general but illustrate that in 2020 as opposed to the 90's there is a real prospect for the US to entertain sales to Bangladesh. i.e. we already see the AH-64E being possibly bought.

So now it looks like France wants to get in the action.

This is excellent.

It opens up the prospect of advanced munitions and systems becoming available for export as Bangladesh seems to have several options at this time. i.e. AMRAAM, Harpoon, etc.

Everyone loves cash!

In terms of politics, I say stick with the US and UK.

China to some extent.

France and Russia are money wh-res with limited political benefit.

Also, develop as much as you can a grassroots domestic capability and co-operate with second tier players such as Turkey, etc....

For point 2, as long as Bangladesh had a very cordial and warm relationship with their adversary like China and Russia dont expect them to placing hopes on Bangladesh, not to mention Bangladesh government itself very wary and quite foreign toward of US foreign policy intention and playing style.

Philippine is a lost cause as they dont developing themselves even with decades of opportunity.

For point 2, as long as Bangladesh had a very cordial and warm relationship with their adversary like China and Russia dont expect them to placing hopes on Bangladesh, not to mention Bangladesh government itself very wary and quite foreign toward of US foreign policy intention and playing style.

Philippine is a lost cause as they dont developing themselves even with decades of opportunity.

BD relation with Russia going downhill.
Yes BD will always balance West with China.

Rafale may be effective against the likes of rugtag Mali / Chad/ CAR rebels without an airforce and SAM systems.

The French air force flew without impunity over Libyan air defense systems in 2011. The Royal Air Force waited for these air defense systems to be suppressed by the US Navy before going in.

During several NATO exercices,the Rafale was the only type of fighter engaged which flew unmolested over S300 radars.

During joint exercices with the RAF several years ago the Rafale literally gave headaches to the Eurofighter's Captor M radar,preventing it from tracking visible and detectable Rafales.

Keep in mind the newest Rafale standards are undergoing upgrades from radars to EW suite etc.

which one is more capable betwen EF-2000 VS RAFALE? :pdf::victory::victory:

The French air force flew without impunity over Libyan air defense systems in 2011. The Royal Air Force waited for these air defense systems to be suppressed by the US Navy before going in.

During several NATO exercices,the Rafale was the only type of fighter engaged which flew unmolested over S300 radars.

During joint exercices with the RAF several years ago the Rafale literally gave headaches to the Eurofighter's Captor M radar,preventing it from tracking visible and detectable Rafales.

Keep in mind the newest Rafale standards are undergoing upgrades from radars to EW suite etc.

Yep the Rafale has better avionics than Eurofighter.
This will change when the Eurofighter get the AESA radar and upgraded electronics.
Rafale has had more timely upgrades than Eurofighter over it’s life.

BAF would have been interested in Rafales if India had not already brought 36 of the fighters.
Nothing personal as BD is aware that France badly needs export sales to keep it’s arms industry competitive.

Yep the Rafale has better avionics than Eurofighter.
This will change when the Eurofighter get the AESA radar and upgraded electronics.

So does the Rafale in its newest tranches. Both aircrafts anyways are formidable machines but politically and economically out of Bangladesh's reach.

The BAF looking at new platforms hence their interest in the Rafale,however they are just exploring options and nothing much serious. Like many have pointed out,the best platform (from the west) in terms of cost/efficiency and political gains would be an American jet,probably the F16 in its most modern versions,would be an option to consider.

Chinese platforms should also be something to look at.

So does the Rafale in its newest tranches. Both aircrafts anyways are formidable machines but politically and economically out of Bangladesh's reach.

The BAF looking at new platforms hence their interest in the Rafale,however they are just exploring options and nothing much serious. Like many have pointed out,the best platform (from the west) in terms of cost/efficiency and political gains would be an American jet,probably the F16 in its most modern versions,would be an option to consider.

Chinese platforms should also be something to look at.

Actually UK already offered Eurofighter for BD’s 16 plane MRCA requirement.

BD can afford even new build Eurofighter as it now has a strong economy, but if it is chosen will most likely want ex-German Tranche 1 machines upgraded with AESA radar to fire Meteor. This would be for two reasons - cost and also bearing in mind the Eurofighter will start becoming obsolete next decade.

Chinese J-10CE also has a good chance as it is relatively cheap and useful for strategic reasons.

There would be little difference electronically once both Rafale and Eurofighter have AESA radar and 5th gen electronics put in. If one is better than the other it would not be by much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom