What's new

Bangladesh Army awards assault rifle contract to the US firearms manufacture

Looks like this one.. although chambered in 7.62*39.

Well if they're using Chro-Moly-Vanadium for the Barrel (with a steel barrel liner I'm sure) and 7075 T6 aluminum for the receiver (butt) then the thing should be as light as it can get, bar using titanium. Woo-hoo! :-)

Looks Like BMTF and Ordnance factories are changing over to NATO style weapons assembly.

I'm happy that BOF military leaders have a good long term vision.

Last edited:
Well if they're using Chro-Moly-Vanadium for the Barrel (with a steel barrel liner I'm sure) and 7075 T6 aluminum for the receiver (butt) then the thing should be as light as it can get, bar using titanium. Woo-hoo! :-)

Looks Like BMTF and Ordnance factories are changing over to NATO style weapons assembly.

I'm happy that BOF military leaders have a good long term vision.
Ok I’m a bit confused about bullet calibers. Aren’t 7.62 more punch and less accuracy compared to 5.54?
@DalalErMaNodi then why?

Ok I’m a bit confused about bullet calibers. Aren’t 7.62 more punch and less accuracy compared to 5.54?
@DalalErMaNodi then why?

Well, everyone except the SF and Swads use 7.62, BOF has lines producing upwards of hundreds of millions of rounds every year, I reckon they aren't switching to nato 5.56 due to convenience and for the fact that we have tons of 7.62 stockpiled probably..

Besides 5.56 has lower penetration over distances and packs a weaker punch.. Any conflict inside or outside Bangladesh will be urban and in close quarters.. in a situation like that, I'd take 7.62 over 5.56 unless you want some dude with level IIIa body armour to not stay dead.

And remember for 5.56 we'd have to set up new production lines not only for ammunition but for the guns themselves and that screams logistics issues..

But If it we're upto me, I'd start producing 5.56 in limited numbers for SF and SWADS, then get TOT for guns, then in good time switch to 5.56, just ease into it instead of buying millions of guns and then having a slow transition that will take a decade, If not longer.

And yes, 7.62 is not nearly as accurate as 5.56, 5.56 is a fast round btw compared to a 7.62.. it has some pros too.

Last edited:
Well, everyone except the SF and Swads use 7.62, BOF has lines producing upwards of hundreds of millions of rounds every year, I reckon they aren't switching to nato 5.56 due to convenience and for the fact that we have tons of 7.62 stockpiled probably..

Besides 5.56 has lower penetration over distances and packs a weaker punch.. Any conflict inside or outside Bangladesh will be urban and in close quarters.. in a situation like that, I'd take 7.62 over 5.56 unless you want some dude with level IIIa body armour to not stay dead.

Great explanation, body armor is getting way more common nowadays...

And remember for 5.56 we'd have to set up new production lines not only for ammunition but for the guns themselves and that screams logistics issues..

But If it we're upto me, I'd start producing 5.56 in limited numbers for SF and SWADS, then get TOT for guns, then in good time switch to 5.56, just ease into it instead of buying millions of guns and then having a slow transition that will take a decade, If not longer.

And yes, 7.62 is not nearly as accurate as 5.56, 5.56 is a fast round btw compared to a 7.62.. it has some pros too.

It all depends what guns these rounds come out of ! AK 47 7.62 rounds are pretty darn accurate as far as I have seen. 5.56 Nato rounds are accurate to 200 yards. Nato chose 5.56 as it is a lighter round affording soldiers more rounds in the battlefield.

Last edited:

I think its this one.

War in Arakan would be in rural areas. For now it looks like a low probability event

Back
Top Bottom