What's new

Bangladesh begins construction of two large warships

IPV.jpg

02X INSHORE PATROL VESSEL (IPV)

FPV.jpg

02X FAST PATROL BOAT (FPB)

From DEW Ltd.

The two DEW designs (closely related except for armament fit) are based on the Damen Stan 4200 patrol vessel design - a successful patrol boat design adopted by many smaller navies. 4200 means 42 meters long. There are other variations on this modern design based on the 'Sea Axe' design. I have researched this well and as you can tell - its a personal favorite for small coast guard or Naval fast patrol boat designs.

Here's an example for the Honduran Navy ordered directly from Damen in Holland (expensive). Local licensed builds are proceeding in many parts of the world - including of course Bangladesh. Keels for these were laid by SHW a month ago in a ceremony at DEW.

For high sea intercepts regarding drug interdiction, fishery patrols and anything else where you need more than an unarmed coast guard vessel these are perfect. Here's a video on the Armidale class (Australian version of this boat).

Here's a video on Damen Shipyards in the Netherlands - in my opinion one of world's finest (if not the finest) shipyards specializing in modern small to upper-medium sized Naval and Civilian ship designs. The Indonesian Navy's ships up to and including large Frigates are all built to their designs.

We have utilized their licensed designs in Bangladesh in the past and should continue to do so.

Maybe India's Kolkata class as well
No, the Indian ship is a DDG it can't reach Mars. But with your special lungi technology that small boat can, ask iajdani for more. He has many ideas from him small brain.

kolkata-05.jpg

No, the Indian ship is a DDG it can't reach Mars. But with your special lungi technology that small boat can, ask iajdani for more. He has many ideas from him small brain.

kolkata-05.jpg

Nice boat (and insult) - instead of trying to derail the thread, please post something on topic, like the Veer Class small-size corvettes (which is at ~500 to 600 tonnes is what we are discussing here).

DcQs6b4.jpg

Why was the Veer class abandoned for consecutively larger and larger corvettes (Khukri and Kora classes at 1300~1500 tonnes) and then finally Kamorta class at 2800 tonnes which is ridiculous to call a corvette anymore?

Why is there no need for the Veer Class any longer? It is an excellent well-armed littoral platform. All future naval combat will be fought in the littoral areas, not the high seas.

I have a theory in that it is Indian politicians who basically want to siphon even larger and larger dividends from defense projects (and the communal Hindutva nationalists are a convenient manipulated unpaid fanboy populace that are handy to the politicos and don't know any better). But I could be wrong of course.

Is there any plan for inducting smaller equivalent such as the Buyan Class (successor to the Veer/Tarantul class) in Indian Navy?

Nice boat (and insult) - instead of trying to derail the thread, please post something on topic, like the Veer Class small-size corvettes (which is at ~500 to 600 tonnes is what we are discussing here).

DcQs6b4.jpg

Why was the Veer class abandoned for consecutively larger and larger corvettes (Khukri and Kora classes at 1300~1500 tonnes) and then finally Kamorta class at 2800 tonnes which is ridiculous to call a corvette anymore?

Why is there no need for the Veer Class any longer? It is an excellent well-armed littoral platform. All future naval combat will be fought in the littoral areas, not the high seas.
Because ICG is also need some work.
So, except fast interceptor boat IN is now focusing on long deployment time in seas.
So, that's why they are commissioning large under armed OPVs which can be armed to the teeth if situation demands.
And future war, we can't be sure that they would be fought only in littoral areas not in high seas.
IN inducted platform also can fight in littoral areas.
In India , institution also fight intensively.
ICG wants to take the role in home turf from IN in patrolling, so this is also a reason.

I have a theory in that it is Indian politicians who basically want to siphon even larger and larger dividends from defense projects (and the communal Hindutva nationalists are a convenient manipulated unpaid fanboy populace that are handy to the politicos and don't know any better). But I could be wrong of course.
Why overseas Bangladeshis are stupid compared to their native counterpart ?

Is there any plan for inducting smaller equivalent such as the Buyan Class (successor to the Veer/Tarantul class) in Indian Navy?
No, any this type of vessel goes to ICG but under armed compared to them.
IN would induct Fast attack boats & in future heavy hovercrafts for amphibious role.

DcQs6b4.jpg

See you have forgot the basic, that is well armed, good according to you not us. Our one aircraft carrier or nuclear submarine can buy you entire Navy twice I think. So what do you want? We build 100s of these small boat to fight whom BD? lol

Hindutva... here we come! Look at that Hindu ship again! It can destroy your entire navy 10 times! So what else do you want from a Hindu? :D

For your last questions, we the Hindus are mainly looking at larger ships to retain our domination of Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean and Arabian sea. We are looking for main destroyers, ACs and submarines.

132623592_11n.jpg

^^^ OK enough fruitless talk.

None of you geniuses have the strategic answer I was looking for.

If the Chinese and US Navies are building littoral class ships then either the IN is backward or has the wrong priorities. Which actually wouldn't surprise me.

'Vikhari-maditya' broke down three times during its re-build-trials and almost couldn't make it back to India because seven of its eight boilers failed. I'm surprised this rust bucket could get fixed and still floats. The Russians milked your stingy asses good and kudos to them.

I hope Viraat (or whatever you're calling it this week) has better boilers. Scaring us with a carrier is not going to go far. It's a sitting duck for a bunch of sea-skimming ALCMs. Make sure you keep it 300 miles away....

Next!

Last edited:

DcQs6b4.jpg

just food for thought, this kind of small combat ship is lacking in endurance to cope with much of Naval Operation any big Nation who had aspiration for Blue Water Navy had. And they lacks in sensor suite and defensive system made them vulnerable against ASW helicopter combo destroyer type ships like Royal Navy and USN had shown during Iraqi Gulf War.

just food for thought, this kind of small combat ship is lacking in endurance to cope with much of Naval Operation any big Nation who had aspiration for Blue Water Navy had. And they lacks in sensor suite and defensive system made them vulnerable against ASW helicopter combo destroyer type ships like Royal Navy and USN had shown during Iraqi Gulf War.

True but the idea of this thread was to demonstrate how multiple smaller corvettes and FPB's built in Bangladesh can (with addition of sophisticated sensor suites and missile armament) score victories against larger vessels.

Larger ships like frigates need sensors and radar because they are larger targets. A 500~700 ton boat is hard to target because of smaller size alone. The Pakistani Azmat class and Russian Buyan class (with VLS) are ample examples of this in a littoral scenario which will accompany the larger F-22P Zulfiquar-class, Steregushchyi and Sigma class Frigates/Corvettes. Smaller ships if properly equipped can deliver quite a bit of punch in smaller skirmishes which they are designed for.

And sensors and radar are not exclusive to larger ships anymore. The Buyan class has phased array radar to start with a full suite of sensors.

• Radar: MR-352 Pozitiv-M1.2 phased array radar system (Pozitiv-ME1.2 for export)[3]
  • Fire Control: 5P-10-03 Laska (5P-10-03E for export)[3]
  • Sonar: Anapa-M suite (Anapa-ME for export)[3]
  • Navigational Radar: MR-231 Pal[3]
  • Other: 1 x electro-optical surveillance device

Plus smaller ships around 500~700 tons can boast speed as a defensive mechanism itself. If equipped with powerful waterjets - having more than 40 knots of speed is considered a defensive feature by itself provided a couple of CIWS can protect the back from air-launched or ship-launched missiles.

In the US - they are planning follow-ons to smaller cyclone class vessels of about 700 tons (I posted a few posts back).

Most future wars are going to be shorter skirmishes and engagements in the littoral (shallow) seas, not in blue-water high-sea scenario. The US and China get this and are getting prepared, the rest of the navies have not caught up on this yet.

Last edited:
If the Chinese and US Navies are building littoral class ships then either the IN is backward or has the wrong priorities. Which actually wouldn't surprise me.

For littoral tasks the IN has got the 2,300 ton Saryu class OPVs:
INS_Saryu.jpg

Realistically, this is an interim role (coastal protection) for the IN that they will hand back over to the Indian Coast Guard by 2022. The ICG is now inducting 2,400 ton OPVs and thus eliminating the need for the IN to have this role in the long term.

As for the Karmota class ASW corvettes, these are meant to operate in the high seas alongside Indian CBGs and are thus sizeable (3,000+ tons) so as to have high levels of endurance:

IMG_7559.JPG

'Vikhari-maditya' broke down three times during its re-build-trials and almost couldn't make it back to India because seven of its eight boilers failed. I'm surprised this rust bucket could get fixed and still floats. The Russians milked your stingy asses good and kudos to them.

That was during sea trails in Russia- exactly the point in sea TRAILS. No such issues have been reported once accepted into Indian service and as part of the $2.35 billion USD deal the Vikramditya was completely refitted and is basically a brand new ship.

For littoral tasks the IN has got the 2,300 ton Saryu class OPVs:
INS_Saryu.jpg

Realistically, this is an interim role (coastal protection) for the IN that they will hand back over to the Indian Coast Guard by 2022. The ICG is now inducting 2,400 ton OPVs and thus eliminating the need for the IN to have this role in the long term.

As for the Karmota class ASW corvettes, these are meant to operate in the high seas alongside Indian CBGs and are thus sizeable (3,000+ tons) so as to have high levels of endurance:

IMG_7559.JPG

That was during sea trails in Russia- exactly the point in sea TRAILS. No such issues have been reported once accepted into Indian service and as part of the $2.35 billion USD deal the Vikramditya was completely refitted and is basically a brand new ship.

Thanks for your response. A lightly armed and slow ship at the 2400 ton displacement level doesn't really lend itself well to littoral combat. CBG ships will not find it convenient to operate in littoral (continental shelf shallow) seas - because of their draft. And smaller ships shown below will usually move at 40 knots which is an advantage over larger ships moving at say 25 knots.

That's the point I was making.

For littoral naval combat use and coastal defense, I had the following LPC ships in mind (~64m length),

• Pakistani PNS Azmat class (~550 tons) FAC-M
Pakistan's%2BSecond%2BAzmat%2Bclass%2BFast%2Battack%2Bcraft%2Bvessel%2B%2Bnears%2Bcompletion%2B2.jpg

• Bangladesh BNS Durjoy class (650 tons) LPC-M
Bangladesh%2BNavy%2Bfires%2BC704%2Banti-ship%2Bmissile%2Bduring%2B2015%2BMaritime%2Bthunder%2Bexercise%2B5.jpg
06e4bf_cf304cc1e3014c2e8a54009921475874.jpg_srz_945_335_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Baynunah Class (Built by Abu Dhabi Shipbuilding under license from CMN or Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie) - 900 tons
4961.jpg
7-image-baynunah.jpg

To my knowledge - there is no equivalent like these now in the Indian Navy.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. A lightly armed and slow ship at the 2400 ton displacement level doesn't really lend itself well to littoral combat. CBG ships will not find it convenient to operate in littoral (continental shelf shallow) seas - because of their draft. And smaller ships shown below will usually move at 40 knots which is an advantage over larger ships moving at say 25 knots.

For littoral naval combat use and coastal defense, I had the following LPC ships in mind (~64m length),

Pakistan's%2BSecond%2BAzmat%2Bclass%2BFast%2Battack%2Bcraft%2Bvessel%2B%2Bnears%2Bcompletion%2B2.jpg

Bangladesh%2BNavy%2Bfires%2BC704%2Banti-ship%2Bmissile%2Bduring%2B2015%2BMaritime%2Bthunder%2Bexercise%2B5.jpg
06e4bf_cf304cc1e3014c2e8a54009921475874.jpg_srz_945_335_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Baynunah Class (Built by Abu Dhabi Shipbuilding under license from CMN or Constructions Mécaniques de Normandie) - 900 tons
4961.jpg
7-image-baynunah.jpg

That's because the Veer Class corvettes are still in service! These small missile boats don't take too long to build, and with man private shipbuilders in the picture now they can be brought into service in 2-3 years time.

As for the Kora and Khukri class corvettes,

LIVEFIST: Indian Navy Wants 6 New Indian-built Missile Corvettes

^^^ Rest In Peace - the language formerly known as 'English' ! :D

Anyway - Thanks for the input.
Since, when American start caring about English :lol:

As overseas BD are different breed.

4961.jpg
7-image-baynunah.jpg

Because these ships are too slow & underpowered compared to IN
Your Durjoy class have 28 knot speed & PN Azmat class clocks 30 knots & our 8000 ton Destroyers & Frigate clocks 30 + knot & house 2 helicopters.

Back
Top Bottom