What's new

Bangladesh Borrowing to send economy roaring

For those who are trying to compare BD with Pakistan:

"KARACHI: The country paid over $7 billion in external debt servicing for the first half of fiscal year 2020-21 (1HFY21) "

In contrast in the whole of 2020, BD paid 2.2 billion US dollars.

Even taking into account that Pakistan raises 50 billion dollars in revenue per year compared to 40 billion US dollars for BD, that is around SIX times the burden as a proportion of revenue collection for Pakistan as compared to BD.

BD is one of the less indebted countries in the developing world and the debt burden as a proportion of GDP is actually projected to fall a little over this decade. There is little to worry about and we have a mathematically illiterate BD poster and a Pakistani poster, probably due to trying to feel better at Pakistan's dire situation and so trying to say that BD is no better and going down the same path, making themselves look very ignorant.

Bhai let's not attack people, let's attack viewpoints and provide counterpoints (which you have done). Same goes for the other posters here in the Bangladeshi section.

Attacking people personally wastes pointless bandwidth in triggering, name calling and infighting....

This is also the general rule of the forum.

Before telling other folks, I have been trying to do this myself.

Exactly

I absolutely agree with you conservatism. Perhaps the best approach is to build those long-term investment for the future, say build tracks & other fixed assets to HSR standards, while short-term investment should be made for present, say buy liquidable assets like rolling stocks at semi-HSR standards. As purchasing power increase, HSR will become more affordable in the future.

HSR, or semi-HSR as you put it, is not just about connecting two hubs, is about boosting the whole economic belt in between. It can become a powerful tool for economic planners.

On topic, loan itself is not a scary thing, it's just business, depends on how one use it. As long as BD is not borrowing to waste on things that generate zero return like arms, the nation is not on the wrong track.

Terima kasih, nice to see you too my old buddy!

Yup, same thoughts here.

It is not infinitely more expensive to build HSR infra (e.g. immovable concrete slipper ballast-less railway track roadbed, continuous-welded jointless trackage) rather than high quality ballasted track.

The liquidable assets like you said (locomotives, railway wagons and passenger cars) will need to be replaced every ten years in any case, and the technology level of Indonesia (and that of Bangladesh following at ten years interval) will also improve at that ten year interval, so new technology items can be continually refreshed and replaced.

I suspect eventually railways in both Indonesia and Bangladesh will get electrified which will reduce pollution, in addition to increase in speeds, enabling HSR on pre-existing (hopefully well-maintained) track.

Everything is related to the economy. For a stronger economy, faster train service would be preferable. A faster train is more costly to ride. So, the country's people must have the economic muscle/ source of income to ride them whenever needed and pay a higher charge for the ride.

@bluesky bhai, you are right.

However I want to point out that in very few countries (only in Europe, Japan, Korea and China so far) have high speed trains which have supplanted air travel.

To supplant air travel by well-heeled customers, train travel needs to offer the same amount of safety and luxury, which is not the case in Bangladesh. The basics (track quality/maintenance/smoothness) remains a huge concern, not talking about coach comfort which is a much later after-thought.

At this time only the lower and middle classes ride trains, which means we have volume but also the need for low fares. HSR cannot be afforded at those low fares.

Last edited:
@bluesky bhai, you are right.

However I want to point out that in very few countries (only in Europe, Japan, Korea and China so far) have high speed trains supplanted air travel.

To supplant air travel by well-heeled customers, train travel needs to offer the same amount of safety and luxury, which is not the case in Bangladesh. The basics (track quality/maintenance/smoothness) remains a huge concern, not talking about coach comfort which is a much later after-thought.

At this time only the lower and middle classes ride trains, which means we have volume but also the need for low fares. HSR cannot be afforded at those low fares.
Well said!

আচ্ছা আচ্ছা, তাই বুঝি? সাকাচৌ রাজাকার ভাল লোক ছিল আর তার বিচার করে ফাসি দেয়া অন্যায় হয়েছে? Please tell us more....
I wish you read more on Political Science instead of arbitrarily defining a person or a group of persons in a way defined by the Awami League to satisfy its political vengeance.

- An entity is not regarded as a country whose govt does not officially hold land under its sovereignty. I ask you if the BAL govt in Kolkata had any hold over even an sq. inch of land in Bangladesh?

- An entity is not regarded as a country if that entity is not sovereign. Can we legally call our country of today a sovereign country even one day before 16 December 1971? Sovereignty was only almost achieved on that day when the PA troops surrendered.

- Why almost? It is because a country must be recognized by many countries. This came only within the next few days after the surrendering ceremony. Bhutan, Japan, and India recognized the country named Bangladesh in the initial phase.

- So, technically, BD was not a sovereign country but was a part of Pakistan before 16 December.

My question is did SAQA Chowdhury fight against BD after it became a sovereign country or before that? My understanding is he did so when the people of this country were all Pakistani citizens and FQ Chowdhury was supporting keeping the country united.

So, can you tell me under what internationally recognized laws he was charged and tried?

Hasina quickly forgot the General Amnesty declared by Mujib and went after her vengeance to please India.

@Bilal9, @Destranator, please understand I in now support SAQA Choudhury's actions in 1971. I was talking only about the political science and legal system in the country.

However, it is also flimsy what really SAQA Chowdhury did then.

Last edited:
I wish you read more on Political Science instead of arbitrarily defining a person or a group of persons in a way defined by the Awami League to satisfy its political vengeance.

- An entity is not regarded as a country whose govt does not officially hold land under its sovereignty. I ask you if the BAL govt in Kolkata had any hold over even an sq. inch of land in Bangladesh?

- An entity is not regarded as a country if that entity is not sovereign. Can we legally call our country of today a sovereign country even one day before 16 December 1971? Sovereignty was only almost achieved on that day when the PA troops surrendered.

- Why almost? It is because a country must be recognized by many countries. This came only within the next few days after the surrendering ceremony. Bhutan, Japan, and India recognized the country named Bangladesh in the initial phase.

- So, technically, BD was not a sovereign country but was a part of Pakistan before 16 December.

My question is did SAQA Chowdhury fight against BD after it became a sovereign country or before that? My understanding is he did so when the people of this country were all Pakistani citizens and FQ Chowdhury was supporting keeping the country united.

So, can you tell me under what internationally recognized laws he was charged and tried?

Hasina quickly forgot the General Amnesty declared by Mujib and went after her vengeance to please India.

@Bilal9, @Destranator

Crimes against humanity can still take place even if the entity is not recognized as sovereign. SAKA and Jamati rajakars are perpetrators of committing crimes against humanity.

Crimes against humanity can still take place even if the entity is not recognized as sovereign. SAKA and Jamati rajakars are perpetrators of committing crimes against humanity.
Now, please tell me what was that General Amnesty declared then by Mujib? Despite all his defects, he had proper knowledge of political science. He did not want to divide his country further.

Probably, he had to kill half the population like Lol Pot of Cambodia to get even with everyone. He refused to take revenge because he could not understand who shall he kill for doing crimes against whom?

I personally do not think Hasina has a good heart and she divided the country more than our leaders did in 1971. Political vengeance is not to be pursued in your own country.

Her killing did not stop at that. I will not list them here but everyone with an open mind knows what she had been doing until the sanctions were imposed.

Now, her criminal hands are crippled forever. It will be followed by the next phase of vengeance that will punish her.

Now, please tell me what was that General Amnesty declared then by Mujib? Despite all his defects, he had proper knowledge of political science. He did not want to divide his country further.

Probably, he had to kill half the population like Lol Pot of Cambodia to get even with everyone. He refused to take revenge because he could not understand who shall he kill for doing crimes against whom?

I personally do not think Hasina has a good heart and she divided the country more than our leaders did in 1971. Political vengeance is not to be pursued in your own country.

Her killing did not stop at that. I will not list them here but everyone with an open mind knows what she had been doing until the sanctions were imposed.

Now, her criminal hands are crippled forever. It will be followed by the next phase of vengeance that will punish her.

I don't care about what Hasina or Mujib did or continue to do. The people who lost their loved ones in the hands of these criminals deserve to get justice. SAKA and othe Rajakars have committed crimes and justice needs to be served, that's all. I am also not interested in a drawn out discussion outside the scope of my post about SAKA who is a well known war criminal.

I don't care about what Hasina or Mujib did or continue to do. The people who lost their loved ones in the hands of these criminals deserve to get justice.
Justice must be meted out in a legal way and not by someone's whims. And political killing in a war is another kind of crime. This is why Mujib avoided further dividing the country.

If Mujib was not the father of Hasina, this woman would have called him the Greatest Razakar of the nation because Mujib declared a general amnesty. She is a devil and also a bitch.

Last edited:
hmmm. place names are Hindu too. why do you even speak Bengali, sounds very Hindu. try something like Urdu or Arabic. :lol:
Hahaha hahaaaaaa

Now language have a religion as well!!!

What makes Urdu a muslim language, it is hindi with some persian words and is written in persian script. The most it can become is a Shia language, not sunni.... 😁. Just kidding...

Naming it Chottogram now is just a scheme to Hindu-ize the name of the city, thought up by local India-shill BJP/RSS-agent Bangladeshi Hindu political leaders. See how we tolerate our minorities?
Bro understand your anger but how can u relate the name Chattogram with hinduism, its not like Brahmanbaria or Gopalganj?

Chakmas (and other itinerant landless people) are illegal settlers in the hill tracts (who came from Myanmar) and are interlopers in the land (like gypsies) - they don't own property (unlike what their 'Raja' used to claim). Bangladesh govt. tolerated these people a lot for the sake of 'peace'. Chakmas use Myanmar provincial languages, don't ask me as those languages are not part of our culture or heritage. Chakmas have little say so in Political discourse in Chittagong as their numbers are minuscule (in the thousands maybe). Most Chakmas are Indian citizens and they live in Manipur and Nagaland.
Bro actually, according to Chakma oral tradition:
Chakmas migrated from the ancient Indian kingdom of Magadha (what is now west-central Bihar state) to Arakan (now part of Myanmar) and then to the region the British would later designate as the Chittagong Hill Tracts.
So not indigenous to our land that is correct.

Last edited:
Nawaz Sharief and his cronies used to feed Pakistan same phudu Khata that briwing will roar our economy to new heights. It did take us to new heights only to come down crashing like a rock. IMF and World Bank will help you with borrowing and give positive review bcz they obviously are lenders and which lender will give you a bad review if you borrow on their terms. Debt driven growth is a curse and endless cycle.
Truth bro, debt can bring no good. It is an instrument of slavery.

This is exactly what I have been telling our BD people. But led by @UKBengali, they always refute my assertions though the amount of present borrowing is already $97 billion.

@UKBengali wants a bullet train at a cost of $16 billion of borrowed money and @Bilal9 asking for $6 billion credit to build another east-west connection below the Padma riverbed. They really think it is development!!

Our PDF brats will shortly know what really is IMF/ WB's positive reaction when BD will be paying $6 billion every year to these international Money Sharks.

Last year, BD paid back $1.9 billion including interest. This year, I expect the figure to be at least $2.5 billion. Today, the Loan Sharks give a positive rating to BD because our govt wants it that way.

At a time when BD is unable to pay back the money, they will change their tune. Instead of saying 6.5% growth, they will be saying 1% negative growth.

This thing has been happening throughout the world. These loan sharks lure the illiterate politicians of a developing country with cheap money and high growth forecast. This is how they stop a country from developing by itself.

Bangladesh is solidly in its trap.

Agreed, all lenders are same be it imf or china.
This trt investigator gives a brief summary

Last edited:
For those who are trying to compare BD with Pakistan:

"KARACHI: The country paid over $7 billion in external debt servicing for the first half of fiscal year 2020-21 (1HFY21) "

In contrast in the whole of 2020, BD paid 2.2 billion US dollars.

Even taking into account that Pakistan raises 50 billion dollars in revenue per year compared to 40 billion US dollars for BD, that is around SIX times the burden as a proportion of revenue collection for Pakistan as compared to BD.

BD is one of the less indebted countries in the developing world and the debt burden as a proportion of GDP is actually projected to fall a little over this decade. There is little to worry about and we have a mathematically illiterate BD poster and a Pakistani poster, probably due to trying to feel better at Pakistan's dire situation and so trying to say that BD is no better and going down the same path, making themselves look very ignorant.
Look at India, in next 9 months they have to pay $267 billion, where are the indians. Wanted to ask them how much FX reserve will they be left with after the 9 months? Currently they are running at a trade deficit of around 25 billion so the amount has to come out of reserve surely unless someone corrects me.

Very interesting time coming our way, we should all fasten our seatbelts.

Back
Top Bottom