What's new

Bangladesh could be another lost customer of MiG and Sukhoi

No offence but that is what people said before the last election. A fighter contract could be announced today, next year or in x number of years.

No one has ANY idea what the government of BD is thinking about leaving the skies of BD defenceless for so long.
haha... or may be they want to build the richest defense force in the world. meaning in terms of personal wealth. 😉😉

What would be the benefit of having such a meager fleet of Rafales/EFs? 8-12 max? Esp with such a large population to protect. I understand the BAF would have to defend a much smaller airspace compared to its neighbors but I doubt such a small number of these fighters could make a dent. Esp when taking into consideration sorties and maintenance levels would further limi the # of fighters available.

It would be better to get 30 JF17B3s backed with 3 AWACs. Even 24 JF17s+12 J10s would make the BAF a decent AF.

What would be the benefit of having such a meager fleet of Rafales/EFs? 8-12 max? Esp with such a large population to protect. I understand the BAF would have to defend a much smaller airspace compared to its neighbors but I doubt such a small number of these fighters could make a dent. Esp when taking into consideration sorties and maintenance levels would further limi the # of fighters available.

It would be better to get 30 JF17B3s backed with 3 AWACs. Even 24 JF17s+12 J10s would make the BAF a decent AF.

Dude, do you not know that BD defence spending is already 5 billion US dollars a year and growing at one of the fastest rates in the world?

An initial order for 1 squadron of 16 planes is likely to be followed up by another 1-2 if BAF is satisfied with the fighter type.

Right now this is all just speculation as at the current time there is no real hope BD is going to order anything but more trainers over the next 1-2 years at least!

Dude, do you not know that BD defence spending is already 5 billion US dollars a year and growing at one of the fastest rates in the world?

An initial order for 1 squadron of 16 planes is likely to be followed up by another 1-2 if BAF is satisfied with the fighter type.

Right now this is all just speculation as at the current time there is no real hope BD is going to order anything but more trainers over the next 1-2 years at least!

I am not saying that resources are not available. BD has had fairly decent defence spending that it should easily be able to maintain 50+ 4th generation fighters by now.

Either most of the funding is being up in corruption or keeping hasinas generals happy so they dont over throw her.

I hate to tell you guys.

If it isn't abundantly clear at this point:

Bangladesh has no interest in REALLY developing its military capability.

It is almost COMPELTLEY irrelevant what BAF ends up buying.

There is no political will to change things materially.

Bangladesh will be for the foreseeable time, a militarily weak and geostrategicly irrelevant nation.

To be a customer, you would need to have an air force to begin with. Otherwise you could argue BD is a "lost customer" for spaceships too.

I hate to tell you guys.

If it isn't abundantly clear at this point:

Bangladesh has no interest in REALLY developing its military capability.

It is almost COMPELTLEY irrelevant what BAF ends up buying.

There is no political will to change things materially.

Bangladesh will be for the foreseeable time, a militarily weak and geostrategicly irrelevant nation.

I would not be so pessimistic.

The problem is mainly with the BAF as both the other branches have been developing at the rate of resources allocated to them over the last 13 years since BAL came into power.

BA has just gotten all 18 units of the Turkish TRG-300 MLRS. Make no mistake this is probably the system that scares the Indian Army more than anything else that BA could have purchased.

BN has developed itself decently with 4 modern Chinese corvettes and has a decent number of old but somewhat modernised frigates - SAMs are still short-range but far better than anything Myanmar has. The really worrying thing is that we still have no concrete news on the next-gen frigate programme with the initial timetable to get the first ship into service this year obviously far too optimistic. Best hope is 2026-2027 now.

With BAF, it is probably is a case of them finally agreeing on which fighter(almost certainly Typhoon as Rafale is more multi-role than air superiority) to buy and then the money allocated by the government. Once the first squadron is in service then 1-2 more can be ordered quickly as BD will by then have ample funds in its ever growing defence budget.

You are correct that the BD government sees no urgency for some unknown reason, but I am confident that by 2030 we will probably see quite a decent military that although superior to the Myanmar one will still not be capable enough to deter the Indians sufficiently.

Last edited:
Instead of lying every time when it is Bangladesh, a good citizen of the country should stick to the truth. The internet sources say the following expenses in 2011,

Military Expenditure in Bangladesh is expected to reach 3700.00 USD Million by the end of 2021, according to Trading Economics global macro models and analysts expectations.

Sometimes, I think if a S-400 Russian missile can annihilate the fastest and strongest plane, then what is the use of buying expensive planes?

India is to soon get its S-400 missiles from Russia.
but your current government is staunch ally of RSS party in India so I don't know why your purchase of jets will be in view of what Indians have?

We dodged a bullet there

we have seen the abysmal performance of Su-30 in Russo-Ukraine war
AND on 27 Feb 19... but your Indian friends dont admit to that. :lol:

but your current government is staunch ally of RSS party in India so I don't know why your purchase of jets will be in view of what Indians have?
BD is the sworn enemy of India and India uses its military power to intimidate the sitting politicians of BD.

My point was, if India has S-400 missiles what BAF can do with the planes it will buy. It is wiser for BD to support its air defence by purchasing more SAMs (short, medium and long). BD has a small area.

Be thankful my friend. This is good. Its good to be in a boring place & safe.

BD policy of not antagonizing India is a good policy for BD right now. But please keep your teeth sharp for the time when they might be needed.

Sometimes, I think if a S-400 Russian missile can annihilate the fastest and strongest plane, then what is the use of buying expensive planes?

India is to soon get its S-400 missiles from Russia.
Missile defence can always be overloaded and bypassed. Combination approach is the best method for air defense

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom