What's new

Bangladesh govt has plans to buy more fighter jets: minister (still in planning stage)

JF-17 may not be a twin engine aircraft, but for mass induction as F-7 replacements, they are nice force multipliers and short range tactical missile platforms. Yes I'd say even as a marine Long range missile (exocet type) carrier to target ships. If a Mirage F1 or Super Etendard can do it, so can the JF-17. Of course - equipped with long range tanks.

That is one of the use-case scenarios for the air force - trust me.
We need twin engine aircraft for deep penetration strike. In addition to that we need an aircraft with following features:

reliability, survivability, and greater thrust. That's why BAF is going for a twin engine aircraft instead of a single engine aircraft.

Last edited:
how many century will it take :p::p::p: before we get real planes

PM Hasina’s Italy visit: 5 major deals on the table​

Agreements likely to be signed​

Migration and Mobility Agreement: Seven to eight thousand seasonal Bangladeshi workers have been going to Italy for the last two years along with other countries under Italy's global Flussi program.

The Flussi program is for the rest of the world and Bangladesh's interest is to make a separate deal with Italy to send Bangladeshi workers in construction or shipbuilding or other sectors where Italy has an interest. Currently, Italy sources workers from Eastern Europe in those sectors.

Defence Agreements: Recently Bangladesh and Japan signed defence agreements covering training, UN peacekeeping, capacity building, procurement and other issues. Bangladesh defence agreement with Italy is under discussion. If there is a defence agreement with Italy, then Bangladesh will make such an agreement with any other European country. Earlier, Bangladesh signed a defence agreement with France in 2021.

Energy Agreement:
Under this will be the import of LNG from Italy, renewable energy cooperation, energy refining technology among others.................

PM Hasina’s Italy visit: 5 major deals on the table​

Agreements likely to be signed​

Migration and Mobility Agreement: Seven to eight thousand seasonal Bangladeshi workers have been going to Italy for the last two years along with other countries under Italy's global Flussi program.

The Flussi program is for the rest of the world and Bangladesh's interest is to make a separate deal with Italy to send Bangladeshi workers in construction or shipbuilding or other sectors where Italy has an interest. Currently, Italy sources workers from Eastern Europe in those sectors.

Defence Agreements: Recently Bangladesh and Japan signed defence agreements covering training, UN peacekeeping, capacity building, procurement and other issues. Bangladesh defence agreement with Italy is under discussion. If there is a defence agreement with Italy, then Bangladesh will make such an agreement with any other European country. Earlier, Bangladesh signed a defence agreement with France in 2021.

Energy Agreement:
Under this will be the import of LNG from Italy, renewable energy cooperation, energy refining technology among others.................
Rafale is a fantastic aircraft but a little too expensive for Bangladesh. Russian SU-35 is way cheaper than French Rafale but the West put a sanction on Russian jet fighters. I am still wondering from where BAF would buy twin engine aircraft with a limited budget.

Rafale is a fantastic aircraft but a little too expensive for Bangladesh. Russian SU-35 is way cheaper than French Rafale but the West put a sanction on Russian jet fighters. I am still wondering from where BAF would buy twin engine aircraft with a limited budget.

Twin engine requirement itself needs to be questioned. There is no basis for it.

Su-35 is a garbage plane, better flush money down the toilet.

Twin engine requirement itself needs to be questioned. There is no basis for it.

Then what is our option?

Chinese J-10 or western jets, F-16, Typhoon or Gripen. Single engine for a work horse. Dual engine for maritime.

Absolutely no basis for twin engine except for getting bigger kickbacks through the deal. That's why they so dearly wanted Sukhois and then the EF.

J-10s are the ideal jet for BAF. Competent and no strings involved.

Chinese J-10 or western jets, F-16, Typhoon or Gripen. Single engine for a work horse. Dual engine for maritime.
Western jets are not feasible because of sanction and price issues. So the Chinese J-10 is the only aircraft that can be procured without any string attached. But the problem is BAF does not like J-10.

Western jets are not feasible because of sanction and price issues. So the Chinese J-10 is the only aircraft that can be procured without any string attached. But the problem is BAF does not like J-10.

Sanction is not really an issue for BD. We are not Pakistan or Iran, BD doesn't do anything that will attract a sanction.

Absolutely no basis for twin engine except for getting bigger kickbacks through the deal. That's why they so dearly wanted Sukhois and then the EF.

J-10s are the ideal jet for BAF. Competent and no strings involved.

I personally think J-10 and F-16/Gipren should be bought. I don't fully trust the Chinese.

I personally think J-10 and F-16/Gipren should be bought. I don't fully trust the Chinese.

F-16/Gripen won't happen as long as Hasina is in power. She burnt the bridges with US through her recent theatrics, unless we see a 180 degree u-turn as these politicians are so adept at doing.

It won't happen for various reasons

But J10 & JF17 combo is everything Bangladesh needs

No need for twin engine jets for a country Bangladeshs size

JF17s are BVR capable, have a growing list of weaponry they can carry everything with no strings attached including anti ship missiles,, very good cost of purchase and very reasonable running costs

J10s bigger with more range

No western strings, or worries, no hindutva involvement

No for obvious reasons Bangla won't go for JF17s but J10s should be the obvious choice

Back
Top Bottom