What's new

Bangladesh Navy

US offers naval ship to Bangladesh -
bdnews24.com

US offers naval ship to Bangladesh
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 2014-09-03 15:27:30.0 BdST Updated: 2014-09-03 15:27:30.0 BdST

• USCGC_Rush.jpg

The US has offered another naval ship to Bangladesh.

Its embassy in Dhaka on Wednesday said they offered the United States Coast Guard Ship (USCGS) Rush to Bangladesh on Aug 8.

The ship which is powered by a combined diesel or gas engine system is expected to be officially transferred to the Bangladesh Navy this spring, following a joint visual inspection in Hawaii.

Last year, the US transferred its Coast Guard Cutter Jarvis which was renamed in Bangladesh as ‘BNS Somudro Joy’.

The embassy said the Rush will complement the Somudra Joy.

Rush is equipped with a helicopter flight deck, retractable hangar, and facilities to support helicopter deployment, it said.

The US offers ships to Bangladesh under an Excess Defense Articles (EDA) through a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme.

According to the US coast guard, the Rush is the fifth Coast Guard Cutter to be named after the eighth Secretary of the Treasury - Richard Rush.

A member of John Quincy Adam’s cabinet from 1825-1828, Secretary Rush is best remembered for his accomplishments as statesman and diplomat.

It is the ninth of the Hamilton Class High Endurance Cutters.

It was launched on Nov 16, 1968 at New Orleans at an approximate cost of $20 million.

Rush’s operational duties have varied considerably since its delivery.

It was involved in the early 1970’s in operations off the coast of Vietnam.

According to the US coast guard, on the night of Nov 22, 1970, Rush was part of a US Naval force tasked with the capturing of a North Vietnamese supply trawler delivering weapons.

I'm sure we all remember the story of the USS McInerney (Oliver Hazard Perry Class frigate) being transferred to Pakistan Navy in 2010 as PNS Alamgir also under the Excess Defense Articles (EDA) through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme which is similar to the USCG cutter (Jarvis) being transferred to the BN. I believe the story was also extensively covered in this forum at the time. Pakistan paid US$ 65 Million at the time (mostly for upgrades to the ship from US vendors) with the stipulation that PN would help curb piracy and smuggling in the Arabian Gulf with the ship. I think the entire mechanical drive-train including engine was refurbished and overhauled with the money.

Four years after the fact it'd be interesting to find out how the upgraded armament and drive-train is working out and if it was worth the 65 million. Also Pakistan was supposed to get six OH Perry class frigates altogether (five more after PNS Alamgir). Don't see anything on the Internet about that nowadays. Did both sides cancel the transfer?

Hasina will never get on that ship !!!

:laugh:

Last edited:
US offers naval ship to Bangladesh -
bdnews24.com

US offers naval ship to Bangladesh
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 2014-09-03 15:27:30.0 BdST Updated: 2014-09-03 15:27:30.0 BdST

• USCGC_Rush.jpg
The US has offered another naval ship to Bangladesh.

Its embassy in Dhaka on Wednesday said they offered the United States Coast Guard Ship (USCGS) Rush to Bangladesh on Aug 8.

The ship which is powered by a combined diesel or gas engine system is expected to be officially transferred to the Bangladesh Navy this spring, following a joint visual inspection in Hawaii.

Last year, the US transferred its Coast Guard Cutter Jarvis which was renamed in Bangladesh as ‘BNS Somudro Joy’.

The embassy said the Rush will complement the Somudra Joy.

Rush is equipped with a helicopter flight deck, retractable hangar, and facilities to support helicopter deployment, it said.

The US offers ships to Bangladesh under an Excess Defense Articles (EDA) through a Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme.

According to the US coast guard, the Rush is the fifth Coast Guard Cutter to be named after the eighth Secretary of the Treasury - Richard Rush.

A member of John Quincy Adam’s cabinet from 1825-1828, Secretary Rush is best remembered for his accomplishments as statesman and diplomat.

It is the ninth of the Hamilton Class High Endurance Cutters.

It was launched on Nov 16, 1968 at New Orleans at an approximate cost of $20 million.

Rush’s operational duties have varied considerably since its delivery.

It was involved in the early 1970’s in operations off the coast of Vietnam.

According to the US coast guard, on the night of Nov 22, 1970, Rush was part of a US Naval force tasked with the capturing of a North Vietnamese supply trawler delivering weapons.

I hope BN gets plenty of training on maintaining CODOG (COmbined Diesel Or Gas) power-plants for this ship. I don't think before the Jarvis, there was a CODOG powered ship in the BN. Although to be honest there are plenty of CODOG power plants for Electricity generation all over Bangladesh, the earliest being the 130 MWe Shahjibazar (HobiGanj) Plant commissioned in 1968.

CODOG is the most efficient way to get high speed in a ship -as the 29 knots sustained cruise stat for this ship attests.

Last edited:
I hope BN gets plenty of training on maintaining CODOG (COmbined Diesel Or Gas) power-plants for this ship. I don't think before the Jarvis, their was a CODOG powered ship in the BN. Although to be honest there are plenty of CODOG power plants for Electricity generation all over Bangladesh, the earliest being the 130 MWe Shahjibazar (HobiGanj) Plant commissioned in 1968.

CODOG is the most efficient way to get high speed in a ship -as the 29 knots sustained cruise stat for this ship attests.

you're right about BNS Somudra Joy.... that was the first CODOG ship of BN..... officials stated that to newsmen when the ship was transferred.... not sure, but is that the reason the ship has such enormous endurance?..... I'm not an expert with engines....

you're right about BNS Somudra Joy.... that was the first CODOG ship of BN..... officials stated that to newsmen when the ship was transferred.... not sure, but is that the reason the ship has such enormous endurance?..... I'm not an expert with engines....

CODOG uses a slower Diesel engine for cruising and substitutes a faster Gas Turbine engine for faster speeds when needed. Both engines share the same propeller shaft using clutches. Diesels are very efficient at lower speeds, Gas turbines at higher speeds. Here's a CODOG arrangement,

CODOG7+(2).jpg

BNS Bangabandhu uses CODAD or COmbined Diesel _AND_ Diesel. Not a substitution but simply adding aniother diesel's power to the shaft. This is more modern.

CODOG uses a slower Diesel engine for cruising and substitutes a faster Gas Turbine engine for faster speeds when needed. Both engines share the same propeller shaft using clutches. Diesels are very efficient at lower speeds, Gas turbines at higher speeds. Here's a CODOG arrangement,

CODOG7+(2).jpg

BNS Bangabandhu uses CODAD or COmbined Diesel _AND_ Diesel. Not a substitution but simply adding aniother diesel's power to the shaft. This is more modern.
so, does that mean that CODOG is outdated?

so, does that mean that CODOG is outdated?

Nope - not at all. It's just a different choice. But Gas turbines are more maintenance intensive and old ones - more so. After a while they get expensive - not because of labor (which is cheap) but because of obsolete (rare and expensive) parts becoming rarer to find. Like the GE turbines fitted into these boats. but I hope BN will build up a stash of parts so they can keep these old ladies running.

here's a PPT presentation by MTU explaining all these terms. You'll notice that there are all types of combinations- including electric propulsion (hybrid).

Propulsion System Choices for modern Naval Vessels

Nope - not at all. It's just a different choice. But Gas turbines are more maintenance intensive and old ones - more so. After a while they get expensive - not because of labor (which is cheap) but because of obsolete (rare and expensive) parts becoming rarer to find. Like the GE turbines fitted into these boats. but I hope BN will build up a stash of parts so they can keep these old ladies running.

here's a PPT presentation by MTU explaining all these terms. You'll notice that there are all types of combinations- including electric propulsion (hybrid).

Propulsion System Choices for modern Naval Vessels
thanks a lot.... highly appreciate this!! :)

BNS Kapatakhaya

10624897_330747320437946_2089793220269812359_n.jpg

AShM were launched from BNS Uttal and BNS Durbar.

10625142_327415034104508_7245336030221690699_n.jpg

BNS Osman during UNIFIL mission.

1484309_336230916556253_8371352125458507687_n.jpg

I'm sure we all remember the story of the USS McInerney (Oliver Hazard Perry Class frigate) being transferred to Pakistan Navy in 2010 as PNS Alamgir also under the Excess Defense Articles (EDA) through the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme which is similar to the USCG cutter (Jarvis) being transferred to the BN. I believe the story was also extensively covered in this forum at the time. Pakistan paid US$ 65 Million at the time (mostly for upgrades to the ship from US vendors) with the stipulation that PN would help curb piracy and smuggling in the Arabian Gulf with the ship. I think the entire mechanical drive-train including engine was refurbished and overhauled with the money.

Four years after the fact it'd be interesting to find out how the upgraded armament and drive-train is working out and if it was worth the 65 million. Also Pakistan was supposed to get six OH Perry class frigates altogether (five more after PNS Alamgir). Don't see anything on the Internet about that nowadays. Did both sides cancel the transfer?

:laugh:
$65million covered refurbishment. There were no armaments upgrades. As for further ship transfers, recipient has to have good relations, money, plus there are other interested US allies (e.g. Taiwan, Thailand).

Pakistan – Refurbishment of Oliver Hazard Perry Class Frigate | The Official Home of the Defense Security Cooperation Agency
The Government of Pakistan has requested a possible sale for refurbishment of one OLIVER HAZARD PERRY Class Frigate, USS MCINERNEY (FFG-8), being provided as Excess Defense Articles (grant EDA notification is being submitted separately) with onboard spares, spare and repairs parts, support equipment, publications and technical data, U.S. Government and contractor engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support. The estimated cost of the refurbishment and support is $78 million.

All discussions on the Bangladesh Navy, pictures, news, updates, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom