What's new

Bangladesh Navy

So Myanmar is set to have 3 subs?

All are better than the 2 Bangladesh has.

I hope BN stays ahead of this.
myanmar's navy isn't Bangladesh's problem, indian navy is, they can literally disconnect Bangladesh from the rest of the world at will and bring Bangladesh's booming economy to a grinding halt and even reversing it. As you can see, the western world will turn a blind eye. China is fast becoming a close ally of Bangladesh and as such, myanmar won't piss off China to the north by messing around with Bangladesh to the west.

myanmar's navy isn't Bangladesh's problem, indian navy is, they can literally disconnect Bangladesh from the rest of the world at will and bring Bangladesh's booming economy to a grinding halt and even reversing it. As you can see, the western world will turn a blind eye. China is fast becoming a close ally of Bangladesh and as such, myanmar won't piss off China to the north by messing around with Bangladesh to the west.

I disagree.

A conflict with Myanmar is far more likely than one with India.

BN needs to be able to deal with Myanmar before you can even think of dealing with India.

Bangladesh needs to leverage its good relationship with Europe to acquire the best platforms it can and soon.

I disagree.

BN needs to be able to deal with Myanmar before you can even think of dealing with India.

Bangladesh needs to leverage its good relationship with Europe to acquire the best platforms it can and soon.
myanmar is too riddled in its own internal coup strife to be much of a threat. and Bangladesh would be wise not to rely on europeans, they can't even properly stand by ukraine. Your best bet is to build a strong, intimidating, offensive military force, both conventional and unconventional including nuclear. Pakistan would be more than happy to help in latter, we tried to help iran and libya, besides the point that they blew it outta there behinds, but if we can help them, we will help you.

Last edited:
The delivery of Batch II (batch of 5) of the 350 ton Padma Class has begun at Khulna Shipyard. The first in the batch to be launched in the water was Shaheed Daulat (P411) yesterday. The first two of the batch were due by EOY 2021 but the pandemic delayed things.

These are classified as littoral zone Offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) for Bangladesh Navy but rather well equipped for their displacement class and is equipped with Bofors 40mm cannon out front as main armament. At wartime, a MANPAD (Q18A VSHORAD) will equip the OPV.

At some point this year, all five will be launched at KSY and then commissioned at BN facilities (guessing based at new BN base at Payra).

Specs are as below (Thanks to Isa Khan bhai and per KSY site):

Length Overall
Breadth (Mld)
Depth (Mld)
Max. Speed
Draft
Special Features
51.60 m
7.5 m
4.2 m
21 knots
2 m
1 x 40 mm Bofors cannon, and 2 x 12.7 mm CIS 50 Machine Gun.
Contract Signed between KSY & Owner Date
Delivery
Class
Marine Propulsion Diesel Engine Brand & Origin
Engine Power & Quantity
Generator Brand & Origin
Generator Capacity & Quantity
09 May 2019
31 Dec 2021 (for first two PC)(Extended).
CSS
MTU, Germany.
2270 kw, 2 nos
CAT, England
18 kw, 2 Nos

Launch video and details

iu

Last edited:
BN Commander Admiral Musa interview in 2020

ESD: Drones are a major game-changer in maritime surveillance. Do you plan to acquire drones?
Admiral Musa: Indeed. The Bangladesh Navy Centre for Research & Development has already produced indigenously built drone for targeting practices, and is also working on research to manufacture drones and UAVs to carry out surveillance and monitor coastal and offshore activities.

The interview was conducted by Guy Toremans.

source:

Wow! Anyone else see the significance this has?

I think we will see a definite Bangladeshi assistance to set up their Navy... :-)

They will at least need some anti-piracy and anti-fishery patrol stuff....maybe a few Padma Class boats, and we can make them more potent by adding single waterjets in between the diesel screws on both sides.

We already built some of the faster waterjet patrol vessels for the Kenyan Navy.

Last edited:
Wow! Anyone else see the significance this has?

I think we will see a definite Bangladeshi assistance to set up their Navy... :-)

They will at least need some anti-piracy and anti-fishery patrol stuff....maybe a few Padma Class boats, and we can make them more potent by adding single waterjets in between the diesel screws on both sides.
not a big fan of Serving Men in Uniform doing civilian tasks, but its the Navy so its ok.

I disagree.

I see a conflict with both is possible, even at the same time. Burma and india are the dodgiest of partners and willing to switch sides at whim. While Burma can be crushed by China, india is a major threat that will try to keep Chinese hegemony out of bd. Bangladesh has two choices, be a vassal of China or india. The third choice is to radical, join American sphere of influence.

The delivery of Batch II (batch of 5) of the 350 ton Padma Class has begun at Khulna Shipyard. The first in the batch to be launched in the water was Shaheed Daulat (P411) yesterday. The first two of the batch were due by EOY 2021 but the pandemic delayed things.

These are classified as littoral zone Offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) for Bangladesh Navy but rather well equipped for their displacement class and is equipped with Bofors 40mm cannon out front as main armament. At wartime, a MANPAD (Q18A VSHORAD) will equip the OPV.

At some point this year, all five will be launched at KSY and then commissioned at BN facilities (guessing based at new BN base at Payra).

Specs are as below (Thanks to Isa Khan bhai and per KSY site):

Length Overall
Breadth (Mld)
Depth (Mld)
Max. Speed
Draft
Special Features
51.60 m
7.5 m
4.2 m
21 knots
2 m
1 x 40 mm Bofors cannon, and 2 x 12.7 mm CIS 50 Machine Gun.
Contract Signed between KSY & Owner Date
Delivery
Class
Marine Propulsion Diesel Engine Brand & Origin
Engine Power & Quantity
Generator Brand & Origin
Generator Capacity & Quantity
09 May 2019
31 Dec 2021 (for first two PC)(Extended).
CSS
MTU, Germany.
2270 kw, 2 nos
CAT, England
18 kw, 2 Nos

Launch video and details

iu
The design of Padma class changed? 🤔

The design of Padma class changed? 🤔

No, I was suggesting the single waterjet addition for chasing rogue vessels in open sea. The patrol area for Maldives may be a lot larger than the Bangladesh EEZ so they will need faster and possibly longer endurance boats.

Current Padma class IMHO is way too slow which is okay because we don't have that many pirates in our EEZ zone. I was suggesting changes to suit Maldivian Navy use.

Back
Top Bottom