What's new

Bangladesh Navy

1467204_507880829319493_1259371532_n.jpg

1450203_507881745986068_629552754_n.jpg

Gentlemen, I am posting the following navy buildup news. But. please forgive me if it is a duplicate of a previous post sent by someone.

-eastwatch-

FORCE - A Complete News Magazine on National Security - Defence Magazine

Industrial Embrace
Khulna Shipyard signs a contract for five IPV and seven guided-missile corvettes with CSOC
By Prasun K. Sengupta

Bangladesh’s state-owned Khulna Shipyard recently signed a contract with China’s Shanghai-based Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard and the China Shipbuilding & Offshore International Ltd (CSOC) for licence-building five inshore patrol vessels (IPV) and seven guided-missile corvettes.

While the IPVs are based on the 80-tonne Huang Pu-class vessel, the guided-missile corvettes, to be built to a brand-new design, will each have a displacement of 260 tonnes, length of 46 metres, beamwidth of 7.4 metres, and have a top speed of 30 Knots. While the CSOC will supply the first two guided-missile corvettes off-the-shelf, the remaining five will be licence-built by Khulna Shipyard. Each such vessel will be armed with up to four CPMIEC-built C-802A anti-ship cruise missiles.

The IPVs will each have a length of 27.5 metres, beamwidth of 5.5 metres, and a maximum speed of 18 Knots. On-board armaments will comprise twin 14.5mm machine guns. For navigational purposes, one I-band Type 347G mast-mounted radar will be installed on each IPV. The combat information centre (CIC) for the FFGs and guided-missile corvettes will be supplied by CETC International.

It may be recalled that Dhaka had announced an ambitious force modernisation plan in February 2009 for its armed forces, which included the procurement of anti-armour guided-missiles and anti-ship cruise missiles, up to four medium-range maritime patrol aircraft, two guided-missile frigates (FFG), a regiment of NORINCO-built Type 96G main battle tanks, and two CATIC-supplied Z-9C shipborne helicopters.

Subsequently, Bangladesh’s Parliamentary Standing Committee in June 2009 agreed in principle to approve a 10-year force modernisation programme (known as the ‘deterrent force’ and to be fully realised by 2021), under which the Bangladesh Navy would acquire two stealthy FFGs, seven guided-missile corvettes, three large OPVs equipped with helicopter decks, 12 maritime patrol craft, one diesel-electric submarine, two landing craft (utility), two hydrographic survey ships, one salvage vessel, five coastal IPVs, and new-generation anti-ship cruise missiles (Otomat Mk2 Block 4 from MBDA and C-802A from CPMIEC) and short-range air-defence systems (FN-90N) for installation on board the Navy’s existing FFGs — BNS Osman and BNS Bangabandhu.

The Bangladesh Navy in future is expected to replace its three existing ex-Royal Navy frigates (BNS Abu Bakar, BNS Ali Haider and BNS Umar Farooq) with three new-generation FFGs to be provided by CSOC. Each such FFG will have a displacement of 1,500 tonnes, length of 97 metres, beamwidth of 10.90 metres, and a maximum speed of 30 Knots. The FFG will also be able to accommodate a medium-twin shipborne helicopter like the Z-9C, and will be armed with a 76mm main gun, up to 30 vertically-launched 35km-range air-defence missiles, twin triple-torpedo launch tubes, and four C-802A anti-ship cruise-missiles. It is believed that the Pakistan Navy too has evinced interest in acquiring three such stealthy FFGs, with contract negotiations with CSOC now reported to be in progress.

refitting of two type 053 H2 almost finished. As I have said, no change for the radar and weapons. They may join BD navy at the end of the year or early 2014

224016mf5mqzhfefhq10z0.jpg.thumb.jpg

By the way, is there any official news saying the new ships BD ordered from China are type 056? Until now, no type 056 for other country appeared in Wuhan shipyard.

refitting of two type 053 H2 almost finished. As I have said, no change for the radar and weapons. They may join BD navy at the end of the year or early 2014

224016mf5mqzhfefhq10z0.jpg.thumb.jpg

By the way, is there any official news saying the new ships BD ordered from China are type 056? Until now, no type 056 for other country appeared in Wuhan shipyard.

Good to hear that :-) ...one of the frigates is arriving in January 2014 I came to know from an officer on board the ship.

There was a news on BN official website regarding the order of type 056.

Gentlemen, I am posting the following navy buildup news. But. please forgive me if it is a duplicate of a previous post sent by someone.

-eastwatch-

FORCE - A Complete News Magazine on National Security - Defence Magazine

Industrial Embrace
Khulna Shipyard signs a contract for five IPV and seven guided-missile corvettes with CSOC
By Prasun K. Sengupta

Bangladesh’s state-owned Khulna Shipyard recently signed a contract with China’s Shanghai-based Hudong Zhonghua Shipyard and the China Shipbuilding & Offshore International Ltd (CSOC) for licence-building five inshore patrol vessels (IPV) and seven guided-missile corvettes.

While the IPVs are based on the 80-tonne Huang Pu-class vessel, the guided-missile corvettes, to be built to a brand-new design, will each have a displacement of 260 tonnes, length of 46 metres, beamwidth of 7.4 metres, and have a top speed of 30 Knots. While the CSOC will supply the first two guided-missile corvettes off-the-shelf, the remaining five will be licence-built by Khulna Shipyard. Each such vessel will be armed with up to four CPMIEC-built C-802A anti-ship cruise missiles.

The IPVs will each have a length of 27.5 metres, beamwidth of 5.5 metres, and a maximum speed of 18 Knots. On-board armaments will comprise twin 14.5mm machine guns. For navigational purposes, one I-band Type 347G mast-mounted radar will be installed on each IPV. The combat information centre (CIC) for the FFGs and guided-missile corvettes will be supplied by CETC International.

It may be recalled that Dhaka had announced an ambitious force modernisation plan in February 2009 for its armed forces, which included the procurement of anti-armour guided-missiles and anti-ship cruise missiles, up to four medium-range maritime patrol aircraft, two guided-missile frigates (FFG), a regiment of NORINCO-built Type 96G main battle tanks, and two CATIC-supplied Z-9C shipborne helicopters.

Subsequently, Bangladesh’s Parliamentary Standing Committee in June 2009 agreed in principle to approve a 10-year force modernisation programme (known as the ‘deterrent force’ and to be fully realised by 2021), under which the Bangladesh Navy would acquire two stealthy FFGs, seven guided-missile corvettes, three large OPVs equipped with helicopter decks, 12 maritime patrol craft, one diesel-electric submarine, two landing craft (utility), two hydrographic survey ships, one salvage vessel, five coastal IPVs, and new-generation anti-ship cruise missiles (Otomat Mk2 Block 4 from MBDA and C-802A from CPMIEC) and short-range air-defence systems (FN-90N) for installation on board the Navy’s existing FFGs — BNS Osman and BNS Bangabandhu.

The Bangladesh Navy in future is expected to replace its three existing ex-Royal Navy frigates (BNS Abu Bakar, BNS Ali Haider and BNS Umar Farooq) with three new-generation FFGs to be provided by CSOC. Each such FFG will have a displacement of 1,500 tonnes, length of 97 metres, beamwidth of 10.90 metres, and a maximum speed of 30 Knots. The FFG will also be able to accommodate a medium-twin shipborne helicopter like the Z-9C, and will be armed with a 76mm main gun, up to 30 vertically-launched 35km-range air-defence missiles, twin triple-torpedo launch tubes, and four C-802A anti-ship cruise-missiles. It is believed that the Pakistan Navy too has evinced interest in acquiring three such stealthy FFGs, with contract negotiations with CSOC now reported to be in progress.

I very much hope this news is true.

If BD really is ordering 3 FFGs with up to 30 35km range SAMs each, then the BD Navy will for the first time have ships that are capable of fleet protection and also probably the ability to handle multiple simultaneous threats.

BNS Somudro Joy at Perl Harbour
Bangladesh_navy_frigate_Somudro_Joy_%28F-28%29_at_Pearl_Harbor_2013.JPG

Bangladesh_navy_frigate_Somudro_Joy_%28F-28%29_at_Pearl_Harbor_in_2013.JPG

Off the shelf means, these are already built and ready to export, probably 2nd hand.

That means we are not waiting till 2019 to get our subs and Russian fighter. We probably will see them within this year.
Off the Shelf means they are second hand. They are delivered from their own shelf to yours. Anyway, the submarine you are talking about will not be there for attacking purposes, rather, their purposes are to train our surface shippers to deal with submarines. I.E. Training submarines. Thus, will not be very capable or pricey one. Off-the-shelf, Very Cheap, very primary, training, these words fit the description more.

Last edited:
It looks strange for the report mentioned FFG.
A displacment of 1500 ton, but 30 VLS with 30km SAMs. I do not mean it is impossible, but this may make the ship unstable and not suitable for sailing in days of bad weather waters. Moreover, VLS is often a multiple of 4, like 4, 8, 12 or 32.

Good Point!

I think the Chinese could be well placed by designing a ship of 2500 tonnes with 24-32 35-40KM VLS SAMs.

A ship of this nature could come in at around the 200 million dollar mark.

This sort of price and capability would be ideal for a Navy like BD that would have the funds to purchase several. Many more could be sold to other friendly cash-strapped countries around the world.

have seen this report earlier and discussed about the gross inaccuracies in the report... the report was done in much too unprofessional way for a defence-related magazine.... 260-ton guided missile corvettes turned out to be more than double the size at 640tons.... I don't know how they thought four C-802A missiles could be loaded on a 260ton ship!... the ships were actually armed with much smaller C-704 missiles..... and it was mentioned in the report that the first two ships were supplied off-the-shelf, which were not.... they were built from scratch as we now know.... the 27.5m IPVs turned out to be almost double the size (50.5m ships) and armed with powerful 37mm twin AA guns + twin 20mm guns, rather than the rudimentary 14.5mm machine guns as the report said.... this shows the whole ship concept was different from what was mentioned in the report..... the only thing that was accurate there was the number of patrol crafts built at KSY - five....

and on another note, I wondered how the report, which was supposedly on Bangladesh Navy, turned to Pakistan Navy without a warning!

A displacment of 1500 ton, but 30 VLS with 30km SAMs. I do not mean it is impossible, but this may make the ship unstable and not suitable for sailing in days of bad weather waters. Moreover, VLS is often a multiple of 4, like 4, 8, 12 or 32.

1398859_704717042891759_61531177_o.jpg

@DESERT FIGHTER This is a higher resolution(click it to enlarge)....those are definitely SWADS BDU!

South Koreans sf have a similar picture but they are on ice.And they are lot whiter than Bangladeshis!
What exactly are they doing here? Looks like they're singing/shouting, actually.

Agree, very unlikely. If it is a frigate, as FFG suggests, it won't displace just 1500 tons but rather double that or more. If it does, e.g. 4,050 ton Type 054A, then it would be able to have 4x8 VLU with HQ16. Max range for Hq16 against aircraft is said to be 40km and 12km against missiles. Altitude coverage is 18km. But 054A isn't limited to 4 AShM (it has 8).... Type 056 is creeping up to 15oo tons, but has only an 8 round HQ10 launcher. A bigger version of that might have 24 rounds. It does have 4 AShM.

Good Point!

I think the Chinese could be well placed by designing a ship of 2500 tonnes with 24-32 35-40KM VLS SAMs.

A ship of this nature could come in at around the 200 million dollar mark.

This sort of price and capability would be ideal for a Navy like BD that would have the funds to purchase several. Many more could be sold to other friendly cash-strapped countries around the world.

How about Damen 10514 Sigma class Fregate?

and I hope its known to everyone by now that BNS Somudra Joy (F28) is not gonna be alone.... its sister ship is coming soon from the USCG....

BNS-Somudra-Joy1.jpg

"Mozena announced that another ship, just like of Somudra Joy, will be inducted in the navy and those could work together to ensure security of Bangladeshi maritime from trafficking in persons, drugs and arms, and terrorist threat."

&

the Chinese Type 053H2 frigates are coming in January 2014....

"Admiral Farid announced two more frigates constructed in China would reach Bangladesh in January."

Navy chief hopes to win arbitration

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom