What's new

Bangladesh Rebuilds Its Navy

integra

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
March 3, 2011: Bangladesh has bought seven 250 ton patrol boats from China. Two will be built in China, and five in Bangladesh. The 30 meter (93 foot) vessels are part of a two year old effort to rebuild the Bangladeshi Navy. The biggest problem Bangladesh has along its coasts is smuggling. Currently, the Bangladesh Navy consists of five frigates and about fifty (mostly elderly) patrol boats. Replacing the aging patrol boats with newer models is a major priority. China will be the source of most future acquisitions (to include three missile frigates, three large patrol vessels, 12 small patrol boats, two landing craft, four fast attack craft and possibly 2-3 submarines).

Last year, the U.S. Coast Guard donated 16 Defender-class patrol boats. These nine meter (26.5 foot) boats are powered by twin outboard engines, have a top speed of 85 kilometers an hour (and cruise at 65 kilometers an hour). The Defenders carry a crew of four, are armed with two machine-guns and can carry six passengers (or prisoners). They are excellent for patrolling the many river delta waterways on the Bangladeshi coast. The newly created Bangladesh Special Operations Force has adopted the Defender as their primary seaborne transport.

Bangladesh has also bought two Castle class patrol boats from Britain, for $2 million each. These 75 meter (246 foot), 1,400 ton ships are armed with a 30mm autocannon and four machine guns.

Neighboring Myanmar is the source of opium smuggling, some which is often carried out by Islamic radical groups, to provide cash for terrorist operations.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
:tup:

F-16_Falcon more or less jealous? your fragile economy is nowhere near that of Bangladesh and India.
you really need to think again, because your country needs much more foreign aid then both Bangladesh and India put together... Your very weak economy will leave you with a failed state. I suggest you stop here with your hatred and pure jealousy.. your country needs looking after and by that I mean USA. Bangladesh and India are doing far better than Pakistan.

Has bangladesh ever bought anything except donations? :lol:

@ Your idea of Bangladesh Navy is very poor. We have good no of Frigate, gun boats, Missile boats, Submarine chasers, Sea trucks and many other small ships . I agree that we donnot have Cruiser or Destroyer or Sub-marine but we are now atleast capable to defend our coast lines if not offensive. Presently we have one Frigate at Lebanon and some ships stationed at Sudan serving as UN force. We are developing our Navy slowly and gradually. Now, see we are capable of building even naval ships though in small. Though these ship building yards were developed during Pakistan's time but now these are modernised.

@ Bangladesh is a riverine country since ancient period people here used to build ships and supplied to the Ottaman Empires and many to European countries. It was during the rule of East India Compnay they destroyed all these facilities. I fully agree those were all wooden ships but now since we had a tradition we are comming up. Recently we have supplied lot many commercial ships to Germany and many are on pipe line. And one day I hope even your govt will come to us for order. Hopping for the best.

:lol: you guys stop trolling. Bangladesh if it wants can spend just as much as Pakistan on defence if not more. Its just that it has got its priorities right unlike you guys.

@... I agree that we donnot have Cruiser or Destroyer or Sub-marine but we are now atleast capable to defend our coast lines if not offensive. ...

@ Bangladesh is a riverine country since ancient period people here used to build ships and supplied to the Ottaman Empires and many to European countries. It was during the rule of East India Compnay they destroyed all these facilities. I fully agree those were all wooden ships but now since we had a tradition we are comming up. Recently we have supplied lot many commercial ships to Germany and many are on pipe line. And one day I hope even your govt will come to us for order. Hopping for the best.

BN has apparently ordered 3 209s. So you won't be submarine-less for long.

Thanks for the second part of your post. I learnt something.

To the thread starter, he still did not explain what "rebuild" means.
To me, you are adding to your capability which you have now.

Yess.."Re-build" kind of gives a wrong impression..When i read the title..My first thought was When was BD navy destroyed and how??

But on topic ..i would say good job by BD..It should increase its capablities to stop illegal poaching by both BD and Indian fishermen,smugglers and more importantly stop the human trafficking business.

Yess.."Re-build" kind of gives a wrong impression..When i read the title..My first thought was When was BD navy destroyed and how??

But on topic ..i would say good job by BD..It should increase its capablities to stop illegal poaching by both BD and Indian fishermen,smugglers and more importantly stop the human trafficking business.

@ Eastwest, I donnot consider myself as illiterate. I have read so much article about this aginst us but you know I even donnot believe 1% of it. Yes it is true some day labour are going and comming but not like the way you people are projecting like millions. Yes, people are going illegal way to Thailand, Korea, Japan, Italy but why to India ? "Jorur dalme kuch kala hai".

@ Few years back there were lot of articles about "Bangla Bhai" and rising of muslim fundamentalist in Bangladesh from Indian sides inside our country and outside. Soon "Bangla Bhai" came shows some pushture and finished. Lately it revealed that RAW had an hand on it.

Back
Top Bottom