What's new

Bangladesh teacher 'burns' legs of girl pupils for not praying

hawx

Reaction score
They say 14 girls, aged between eight and 12, received burn injuries.

The school has been temporarily closed following the incident, while the "hellish experience" of the girls has been widely reported in newspapers.

Their injuries are not thought to be serious.

The Bangladeshi government banned all corporal punishment in all educational institutions, including religious schools - or madrassas - in 2010.

"I was shocked to see the burn injury of my daughter," Jumur Akhter, mother of one of the affected students, told the BBC.

The girls were learning Arabic and Bengali at the Talimul Koran Mahila madrassa at Namashyampur in Dhaka. The incident is said to have happened on Tuesday.

"It was the first day of the madrassa after our holidays. Our teacher got angry when she heard that we were not offering regular prayers during our vacation," said Ferdousi Akther, aged eight.

"Then she asked her servant to heat up the rod and then she pressed it on our legs. The pain was unbearable."

Pupils say that the teacher asked the students whether they knew the severity of the fire in hell.

They were allegedly told that if they did not offer prayers regularly, they would experience a similar punishment.
Hiding

The neighbourhood of small businessmen, day labourers and garment factory workers is shocked over the incident.
Talimul Koran Mahila madrassa in Dhaka The madrassa has been temporarily closed in the aftermath of the burnings

"This is... human rights violence on children. The government has been trying to stop this kind of violence against children, especially in educational institutions. But the implementation is weak," Rasheda K Chowdhury of the Campaign for Popular Education said.

Police are investigating the incident following complaints by parents.

"We have registered a case against the madrassa teacher following a complaint by the father of a girl. The teacher and her husband have gone into hiding. We are still searching for them," Shafiqul Islam, a police officer in charge of the Kadamtoli area of Dhaka told the BBC.

Parents, meanwhile, say that they are reluctant to carry on sending their children to the madrassa.

"If we had a government school in the vicinity then we would send them there. But the nearest government school is far away," said Sumaiya Begum, mother of another student who received injuries.

"That is why we have to send our children to this madrassa."

Bangladesh has two types of madrassas.

There are more than 16,000 state-sponsored Alia madrassas across the country teaching more than five million students.

Apart from Islamic studies, students in these institutions learn English, maths and science.

The second type are Qaumi madrassas, which are independent and run by donations from people inside and outside Bangladesh.

They focus mainly on Islamic studies.

Almost every village in Bangladesh has a Qaumi madrassa. People from poorer communities tend to enrol their children in them when there are no government-run schools in their villages.

source

you are late. Roy already posted it. Thread was deleted.

We need to rout out ignorance in religious Madrassas. All Madrassas should be run by heads with Master's degrees from universities where they have studied theology along with some other secular subjects. These ignorant Maulvis are an anethema to true Islamic Values.

Hawx, it is interesting to note that you are always posting such Anti Islamic stories and are the first one to cry foul like a baby when someone posts stories of Hindu Extremism. That makes you a bigot and a hypocrite.

They are taking action .so the problem will be cured in due time ..

Madrasa system should be abolished! Islamic schools (modern school with religious style/teaching )should replace old style madrasas! I have seen number of such school increasing in Dhaka. Many kids from rich families go to these schools with TUPIS! Kinda cute....

It has nothing to do with any system of education.

It has more to do with our society and the short fuse we carry in our behavior.

Not to mention awareness, education and fear of the law.

^ It doesn't happen daily in Bangladesh. One rare incident which will be taken care of!

Yes we have this stupid Madrassa teacher and we also have the 'Parimal Jayadhar' who raped a girl student of one famous all female college in the heart of capital Dhaka.

Madrasa system should be abolished! Islamic schools (modern school with religious style/teaching )should replace old style madrasas! I have seen number of such school increasing in Dhaka. Many kids from rich families go to these schools with TUPIS! Kinda cute....

Madrassa is School in Arabic. I don't know how it came to happen that they turned into solely 'Religious Study' schools, but that was not the case historically. There are two classes of Madrassahs in Bangladesh. Aliyah Madrassah and Qaomi Madrassah. Aliyah Madrassah syllabus is almost equivalent to mainstream schools and colleges and many Aliyah madrassah students enroll in Universities and they do well. Qaomi madrassahs follow their own syllabus and they are mainly 'Religious Study' schools. Majority of mosque Imams come from Qaomi madrassahs. Usually a mosque Imam doesn't take any other profession. He earns his living from leading paryers and doa-tabij etc. Consequently he doesn't have to face the realities of the daily life of the common man. Rather by the very example of his own life he gets convinced that even though a man may not work to earn his living he may be well fed. As a result even if he is well acquainted with hadith, Quran etc (I really doubt, because most of them fail to learn Arabic along with Bangla and English) he fails to do a proper synthesis of intellect and Islamic wisdom to solve a real ilfe problem, rather he thinks Faith will get over everything.

It’d be impractical to abolish Madrassah system. But I think if we can implement Religious Studies as a major at undergraduate level where one would be eligible to enroll only after 12 years’ mandatory mainstream study and then employ the graduates where religious specialization is required I hope gradually they would replace the Qaomi madrassah graduates and successfully invade their sphere of influence.

in our schools run by SGPC we have 1 religious studies period where they teach religious hymns and rehat maryada and how to be a good sikh. in rest of the periods science and maths is taught. you guys should have this system.

in our schools run by SGPC we have 1 religious studies period where they teach religious hymns and rehat maryada and how to be a good sikh. in rest of the periods science and maths is taught. you guys should have this system.

They have that system as well, but this teacher is fcuking crazy thats all

Hawx, it is interesting to note that you are always posting such Anti Islamic stories and are the first one to cry foul like a baby when someone posts stories of Hindu Extremism. That makes you a bigot and a hypocrite.

This is not Anti Islamic, The Insane Moulavi doesn't represent Islam. Its a typical case of Insanity and corporal punishment. I am sure that BD govt will look into the matter and They will punish the offender.

I know Bangladeshi knows difference btwn good and bad. No one in BD will endorse this brutal act...

As per my understanding, This thread is just a news, Not good not Bad. Infact the TS has not given his opinion (Which is violation of one of the PDF rule.

Back
Top Bottom