What's new

Bangladesh to Demand Apology from Pakistan

Mods should close this thread as it wont benefit the developing relations of the people of both the brother parts. lets put aside this issue and discuss how to come closer again.

We south east asians are more emotional than practical. We will be more happy if someone gives us emotional satisfaction but in reality does nothing. What does apology going to get you, it would have made sense in 1970's or 80's why now? Time to move on. It is important that we find ways to work together and focus on business aspects. This will bring prosperity to this area.

India-Pakistan-Bangladesh should work together.

Mods should close this thread as it wont benefit the developing relations of the people of both the brother parts. lets put aside this issue and discuss how to come closer again.

I agree!!! Not only close this thread but also put a ban one this kind of topics. I am sick and tired of this BS. No one is gaining out this except the bastards enemy in the middle.

1-Bangladesh is optimistic that Pakistan, which earlier gave Bangladeshi jute and tea duty-free access to its market, is likely to give such access to more Bangladeshi items in furture.

2-The Islamabad meeting is expected to culminate with the signing of two Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) on exchange of cultural programmes and activists, and visa free entry of the officials of both countries.

3-Besides, Bangladesh will ask Pakistan to prune the negative list of goods under South Asian Free Trade Agreement (Safta), to establish the Karachi-Chittagong direct sea link and to increase the frequency of flights between the two.

These should be the prime topics of discussion. We are to be active in present time and discuss how we go about gaining momentum in economic other related sectors.

:cheers:

These should be the prime topics of discussion. We are to be active in present time and discuss how we go about gaining momentum in economic other related sectors.

:cheers:

Pakistan pay a huge amount by importing tea from other countries, we surely will get benefit by importing it from Bangladesh. in IT sector Bangladesh can learn a lot from Pakistan.

Visa free access to officials should be the first step to remove the barriers.In future hopefully the restriction will also be lifted for common people.

developing a sea link between Karachi and Chittagong is a great idea. we should also work to develop a road link as well(may be through china)

I am not sure who is better in IT sector. BD is also doing fine I guess.

Pakistan is providing E-banking and internet banking solutions to Bangladesh at the moment. I was involved in some of the projects also but not sure if we are providing other products or not

^ I saw many Pakistanis 6 or 7 years ago in our telecom and textile sectors. Now BD engineers are taking their place.

This might be useful - view of a West Pakistani in East Pakistan just prior to B'desh becoming a reality -

etween 1 and 25 March the Awami League controlled everything in Khulna because of which we had nothing to do except follow the slowly unfolding events and ponder over our uncertain future. I spent time playing bridge and on one occasion the session lasted 36 hours. We usually went to our Bengali friends in official jeeps/cars but in order to be in synch with the sentiments of the local population we tied a black ribbon somewhere on a conspicuous part of the vehicle as a mark of protest at the postponement of the National Assembly session. By taking this simple precaution we did not have to fear for our lives-at least not until 25 March. The political situation would invariably come up for discussion and our Bengali hosts would ask whether or not they had the right to rule the country after having won the elections so convincingly. One had no answer. There was absolutely no justification for denying the political process to reach its denouement. One good effect, in personal terms, of these marathon bridge sessions was that I developed a total disgust for the game. I gave up playing bridge for good.

Coming back to the main issue, normal civic life had come to a virtual standstill. Nothing moved in East Pakistan without orders from the Awami League, which had also assumed control of the Dhaka radio station. The authority of the federal government had evaporated into thin air. This state of near anarchy could have easily been reversed if power was transferred to the elected representatives of the people. But that was not to be.

On 24 March 1971, Major-General Rao Farman Ali paid a ‘surprise’ visit to the military units deployed in Khulna. He came by helicopter. Roshan Zamir [a colleague] and I went to meet him. We pleaded with him to have us transferred back to West Pakistan as we had almost completed our mandatory stay of two years and had forfeited our usefulness in the emerging political scenario. Moreover, we were worried for our safety and would be at serious risk in the event of a final showdown between the military and the Bengalis. I for one thought that things wouldn’t come to that pass.

… We had no clue about the purpose of the general’s visit and were not privy to what transpired between him and his units. The mystery unfolded a day later.

Colonel Shams was in charge of the army unit in Khulna. The following day he called me to the Circuit House where he lived and informed me in strict confidence that in six hours time, that is at midnight between 25 and 26 March, there would be a pucca military action-a crackdown-against the Bengalis. It was to be open season. He also informed me that in pursuit of the objectives of the operation he would kill Noor-ul-Islam, the Bengali DC who had arrived only three weeks earlier; and invited me to take over as DC Khulna. I listened to him in total disbelief, but he was dead serious. Realizing the gravity of the situation, I tried to dissuade him from pursuing his deadly plans. The superintendent police of Khulna, Raquib Khondakar, met Shams -sometime later and succeeded in convincing him to spare the DC’s life. Noor-ul-Islam died of natural causes a few years later. The poor man must have been under tremendous strain.

The night between 24 and 25 was an eerie experience. Khulna, the second largest city of East Pakistan and teeming with people in ordinary circumstances, presented a scene of deathly silence on 26 March. One could even hear the rustling of leaves on the road. At one point on that day I asked the telephone operator to connect me to a number but before doing so he asked me in a tone of mutual confidence if I knew what the military was up to. He must have noticed some unusual movement. One had not seen such things before. I said I knew no better. I then got a call from a friend who was an engineer telling me that some students were outside his house demanding that he hand over his licensed pistol/revolver, and inquired if he should do so. I told him that he seemed to have no choice in the matter and that in any case the district administration was no longer functional.

… At the Rupsha Rest House we only ate dal, chawal, potatoes and roti because all markets were closed. One day we had a `feast’ when someone brought achar to break the monotony of our daily fare. In this crisis the `war council’ comprising the four of us, the other two being Nawazish Ali Zaidi and Syed Anwar Shah of Union Bank, met daily to review the situation. We concluded that with nothing stirring and the political stalemate showing no signs of getting any better, the only option was to explore all avenues of escape.

… After many weeks of living in fear we now felt safe because we were in the secure precincts of a cantonment. Our army colleagues provided us the best available accommodation and food. Even otherwise every West Pakistani was implicitly their friend and a Bengali their foe. But two days later our peace was shattered with some intense firing of heavy weapons. This was worrisome and on asking we were told that in the process of disarming the 1st Bengal Regiment stationed in the cantonment, a standoff had taken place. The Bengal Regiment had not been dispossessed of its arms till then because disarming a military unit is always a very delicate operation, more so when this is done without justification. After all, the Bengali troops had not committed any breach of army discipline to warrant this humiliation. Since they had the same weapons as the other army units, it appeared that a showdown was inevitable. The army was worried because the firing from the other side had been intense beMsides which the rebellious troops were joined by the Bengali police and Rangers who had reportedly surrounded the cantonment. It was now the Bengalis versus the rest. Every Bengali felt that he had to fight for the `cause’ against the `occupation forces’.

That evening an army captain was recounting the day’s exploits. I was saddened to learn from him that they or perhaps he himself had killed our good Bengali doctor, an army colonel. I expressed my horror at the unwarranted murder of an innocent and well-meaning human being who had invariably shown great concern for us. This remark provoked the young captain to point his gun at me because he felt I was defending a traitor; for the Pakistani troops every Bengali was a traitor. Roshan Zamir’s timely intervention averted a possible shooting and I must consider myself lucky to be alive. Even though I did not believe he would actually shoot me, I must confess I was scared because it occurred to me that a trigger happy army captain was capable of taking one more life.

During the next two days reinforcements in men and materials kept arriving from Dhaka and the army succeeded in bringing the situation under control. We heard the drone of aeroplanes and on asking were told that these were PIA Fokker-27 planes transporting arms from Dhaka and perhaps beyond. The roads were closed. This looked like a God-sent opportunity so we asked if it was possible to hitch a ride on their return trip to Dhaka. We were told that we could, and that there would be no charge! On 31 March, finally and mercifully, we were out of Jessore and on our way to Dhaka. All passenger seats in the aircraft had been removed to make space for carrying military cargo so we had to squat on the floor which was dirty. I sat on my handkerchief but Roshan was far more depressed and in a greater rush, and sat down without much ado. Because the aircraft was flying low we could see fires burning in villages all along the route to Dhaka. The troops had torched these bustling villages to vent their frustration at not being able to suppress people demanding their democratic rights.

Once in Dhaka … getting a seat on a flight to Karachi was almost impossible because a large number of people were queuing up to leave. These were times when people were prepared to part with their car keys in return for an early flight to the safety of West Pakistan although the price of the ticket was just Rs.225 or Rs.250. We were booked on the flight leaving Dhaka the next day, 1 April 1971.

… We rested for the night and next morning left to see the chief secretary to obtain leave of absence. We couldn’t inform the civil secretariat of our presence in Dhaka as we had left our posts without formal sanction. Once outside the safety of the National Assembly complex we asked a traffic constable if it was safe to travel to the city. Dhaka presented a deserted look but he was ebullient in assuring us with a great deal of pride and with a visible sense of satisfaction, his chest thrust forward, that things were very safe indeed because `we have sorted the [expletive] out’. He had to be a Bihari because he shared with the military in equal measure a pathological hatred for the Bengalis.

We met the chief secretary and requested him for one or two months’ leave which he granted before we could even finish making the request... We then went to see Fakhruddin Ahmad, the Bengali deputy secretary of services and general administration department. He was sitting morose and downcast. It turned out that the army had ransacked his house the night before and had slapped his mother. The soldiers appeared to have been in a no-nonsense frame of mind, and relented only when the inmates of the house begged them in the name of Allah and in the name of the Quran to show mercy. The jawans were surprised to see the Quran in their home because they had perhaps been made to believe that they were dealing with a non-Muslim (kafir) population. The military leadership has a way of conditioning the minds of its troops. It was no secret that West Pakistani leaders, military mostly, wanted everyone here to believe that the Bengalis were unduly influenced by the Hindus in demanding their civil rights and the right to their language. One has to read General Gul Hassan’s book to believe it.

A nasty surprise awaited us when we returned to the MNA hostel in the afternoon. Most of our belongings had been stolen. It was unbelievable that this could happen in an area controlled entirely by the military. When we complained to the authorities we were told that it would be difficult to find the thieves because most people were in transit with whom the authorities weren’t familiar. This also reminds me of an interesting episode when I needed toilet soap and asked Roshan if he had any. A jawan standing nearby promptly offered to help and asked which soap I would like to have. He then opened the palms of his hands and showed two different brands of soap, one in each hand. I took one and was trying to thank him when he cut me short by saying that he had not paid for these but had `taken them’. This piqued my interest so I asked if he had taken part in any operation, meaning had he killed anyone. He replied in the affirmative but said that since he had not been able to find a male Bengali he had killed a woman instead. He added ruefully that they were under orders not to loot and as such all they could do was break into shops and destroy TV sets or whatever else was there since that was `enemy property’...

I had imagined everyone in Karachi would be furious with Yahya for launching the operation in East Pakistan. But I soon found that this was not the case. On the contrary, almost everyone including some intellectuals I met over the next few days held the view that the crackdown was long overdue and more than was justified. How could the people of West Pakistan be so callous to the plight of their countrymen in the other wing and oblivious of the consequences of denying them their democratic rights? One Rafiq Inayat Mirza, a senior civil servant who was chairman of the National Press Trust, whom I went to meet when I was in Islamabad, and who was busy in our usual chat in the office with some visitors, rued the fact that the Sindhis were clamouring for a Sindhi chief secretary. He was horrified at the thought that `unpatriotic’ people were making such a scandalous demand adding, quite innocently, that Punjabis never made such demands, little realizing that chief secretaries in all the provinces of the country were from the Punjab. Surprisingly, his audience of coffee drinking friends seemed to agree with him wholeheartedly. The absence of any empathy for their East Pakistani brethren was mind-boggling.

Excerpted from the chapter entitled ‘Military Crackdown, 25 March 1971’ in ‘What was Once East Pakistan’ by Syed Shahid Hussain, published by Oxford University Press. The author a former civil servant lives in Islamabad and practises law

I did not know that Pakistan has already apologized in the past. All I was saying was, that the act of asking for an apology for historical wrongs is not a uniquely 'Bangladesh thing'. Lots of modern countries ask for apologies for historical wrongs/genocide/persecution/whatever.

As far as UK is concerned, I am thankful that the GoI is not asking for an apology. We ought to move on, that's my thinking. As of today, India and the UK share an excellent relationship and there is no point asking for useless apologies for things that happened nearly a century back. I am embarrassed by Indians who blame foreign colonial rule for our problems. For God's sake, we have had more than 60 years to build our nation. We should emulate countries like Germany and Japan which redeveloped so fast after World War II even after being destroyed to smithereens. That is however, my thinking, and if Bangladesh (and some other countries) do not agree and feel that an apology is called for, that's their prerogative.

And finally - yes, discussing some aspects of British colonial rule might hurt me, but remember that we were in it together back then, so it would ought to hurt both of us!

There is a big difference between Germany and Japan and us post WW2. Remember, we were actually one of the victors of WW-2 and the biggest contributor to the Allied War effort in the Pacific Theater. But both Germany and Japan already were technologically advanced nations, their defence needs were taken care of by the Americans and their populations were relatively small and well educated. Less than 10% of Indians/Pakistanis/Banglas then were literate. We had no industry to speak of except the textile industry in Bombay and a few Tata firms like TELCO. Nothing at all. Besides having a large population, we had to deal with refugees and our defence needs were always humongous creating a drain on the economy. It is an unfair comparison.

I am shocked that the UK has not apologized - not even for the Amritsar massacre. If they apologize, they are liable to pay us huge amounts of money as compensation - remember the Germans are probably still paying the Israelis and they still routinely apologize. They screwed over the Jews for one decade, the Brits screwed us for 2 centuries. India should ensure that the UK apologize - not only to us but to Pakistan and Bangladesh as well.

On a more positive note..

Bangladesh seeking free trade with Pakistan

Karachi—Bangladesh is seeking free trade, tariff waiver and cultural accords with Pakistan, said Bangladesh Foreign Secretary, Mohammed Mijarul Quayes here on Sunday. He was talking in a meeting organised by Pakistan-Bangladesh Friendship Forum and Karachi Council on Foreign Relations and Economic Affairs.

“It is our effort to bring the entrepreneurs of both the countries closer,” he said.

According to official statistics, the balance of trade has been in favour of Pakistan for past over 19 years. Bangladesh exported goods and commodities worth dollars 76 million to Pakistan during 2008-09 while Pakistan exported goods worth dollars 288 million in the same period to Bangladesh.

The Foreign Secretary said that he is due meet his Pakistani counterparts on Monday to discuss ways and means to enhance bilateral relations between the two countries. Besides, he said that the platform SAARC will also be utilised to promote regional cooperation in all socio-economic factors.

“We have all the potential to grow, but there is need to explore the avenues of cooperation,” he said. Mijarul Quayes said that Bangladesh has rich experience in shipping lines as well, and Pakistan could get benefit of the expertise of the people of Bangladesh in shipping sector as well.

Earlier, the chairman of Pakistan-Bangladesh Friendship Forum , Justice (Retd) Said-uz-Zaman Siddiqui, and Chairman Karachi Council on Foreign Relations and Economic Affairs, Lt. Gen. (Retd) Moinuddin Haider highlighted the scope of bilateral ties between the two countries and sought more exchange of trade and cultural delegation to promote bilateral relations between both the countries.—APP

Bangladesh seeking free trade with Pakistan

Just move on. South Asians have moved on from partition massacres, just try to move on from this one too.

Back
Top Bottom