What's new

Bangladesh to Demand Apology from Pakistan

I'd like to have a say in this. My first exposure to Pakistani affairs was during the 1971 conflict, when our neighbor, a Pakistani diplomat, knocked on the door, in tears, to pour his heart out to my father - for he had no one else to turn to, the Nixon Administration being firm supporters of the Pakistani government - of the conflict between the regime he swore allegiance to and his dismay at the killing his Army was committing in East Pakistan.

Thinking everyone is as guilty as everyone else is simplistic thinking, or a design by the crook to get himself off the hook. The root of the East-West conflict was domestic politics; India took advantage of it, and Western politicians, valuing wealth and power over people, had no regrets about what they were doing. Independence was the only solution, the only way to get the Pakistani Army to stop killing its own people.

If I were the Bangladeshis I would not DEMAND an apology at all. I would ask continuously why doesn't rump-Pakistan, for reasons of its own, apologize of its own volition?

And that is the question I ask of Pakistan today.

Pakistan should accept all Biharis who are stranded in Bangladesh. They have been loyal to Pakistan for over 30 years. There are over 1 million Bengalis in Karachi alone why not deport a few to make way for Biharis?

Bangalis have been living and working in Karachi since long before 1971. Their employers like their work ethics. Repatriation of Bangalis is not an issue. The Bangalis will leave Karachi when time is ripe. But, many will probably prefer to keep on living in Karachi. It has become their home, in a sense.

Very few Bangladeshis seriously think that the Biharis should be repatriated to Karachi. Most of them are already our citizens, and the remainder who live in the Geneva Camps have also been allowed by our court to seek BD citizenship. They are our people now. So, there is no question of their repatriation, too.

However, any govt cannot single handedly decide on a bi-lateral issue. This may be the reason our Foreign Secretary would talk on so that a middle ground is found about this issue.

If I were the Bangladeshis I would not DEMAND an apology at all. I would ask continuously why doesn't rump-Pakistan, for reasons of its own, apologize of its own volition?

And that is the question I ask of Pakistan today.

I didn't get this part. Are u suggesting that Pakistan apologize to Bangladesh ? If that is the case, then Musharraf already has. Though he expressed regret at what happened and it wasn't official.

I didn't get this part. Are u suggesting that Pakistan apologize to Bangladesh ? If that is the case, then Musharraf already has.
Shall we not judge a society by the extremes it tolerates and the values it inculcates in its children? As long as this "Bangladeshis were just as bad" line is propagated, apologies are more evanescent than real.

As long as this "Bangladeshis were just as bad" line is propagated, apologies are more evanescent than real.

I don't see why a society or a country should be judged on the basis of the stance of a few.

Hi, I'm new to the forum although I have been stalking it for some time now lol.

Anyways, I have a question directed at Pakistani members;

If there is some sort of official apology to the Bangladeshi people, what does Pakistan have to lose? From my POV it seems as though Pakistan has everything to gain from doing so. Similar to what Rudd did here in Aus. with the stolen generations.

I think doing something similar to this could do wonders for Pakistan's ailing global image aswell and also remove alot of the hate in some Bangladeshi's.

^ AL and India will abuse this apology. Will use for politics. Hardcore AL supporters will never remove hatred and most of general Bangladeshis have no strong hatred.

^ AL and India will abuse this apology. Will use for politics. Hardcore AL supporters will never remove hatred and most of general Bangladeshis have no strong hatred.

Well I certainly agree that AL manipulates the sentiments of the average Bangladeshi in relation to Pakistan in 71 to gain votes, but i find it hard to believe that the common man will continue to hate ( i think dislike rather than hate i have genuinely yet to ever meet a bangladeshi who 'hates' pakistan) Pakistan if the government takes such a step. It would endear Pakistani to the common man and i believe will go a long way in improving relations since the AL regime or anyother regime will have to accept the reality that Pakistani isnt an enemy (not that i think it is nowadays anyway)..

Hi, I'm new to the forum although I have been stalking it for some time now lol.

If there is some sort of official apology to the Bangladeshi people, what does Pakistan have to lose? From my POV it seems as though Pakistan has everything to gain from doing so. Similar to what Rudd did here in Aus. with the stolen generations.

I think doing something similar to this could do wonders for Pakistan's ailing global image aswell and also remove alot of the hate in some Bangladeshi's.

Welcome to the forum mate.... Your question is very simplistic and naive.
As said earlier our former president had already apologized durring his visit to BD. The question arises why again??? and why after 40 years??? Didn't we have high tides in Pak-Bangla relations??? If yes then why stooping low again???

Now putting all those questions into the bin, even if they mean something, the most important question which I wanna ask you is that, what is there for Pakistan to gain from the whole move??
We moved on long long ago, accepted you as an independent and brotherly nation. We Developed,
diplomatic,commercial,military,social,cultural and economic ties with you, then why in the middle the fuss again?? And why is it a periodic fever that reoccurs at some specific moments??

Is Pakistan dependent for something on Bangladesh, for which it needs to kneel down every now and then?? Honestly speaking, Nopes and for Nothing.Well then, if that is the case don't you think someone is asking an absurd demand?

Now look at another aspect, if our relations move to cold storage as in the current AL regime, and continues to be kept in their for a long long time, whose gonna suffer more?? Think logically, I am not calming Pakistan to be another Super Power, but certainly to high degree Bangladesh can benefit from of its fields of expertise, which other wise is loss for no justifiable reason!

Now regarding Pakistan Image, it wont get a bit better by re-apologizing to BD in the comity of nations.Its absolutely a dud case for us and the rest of the world. However if it can heal the hearts of our Bangladeshi brothers, in any away, I would fully welcome such a move.
Thing for you to ponder upon as a Bangladeshi is, wither or not AL is doing it for the cause and people of Bangladesh or is it the core of its domestic politics,,, If it is then sorry sir, you are asking us too much,. You are simply stepping on our Integrity for the sake domestic politics.....And that we wont allow at any cost!!

:pakistan:

Adios

@ D3sir3

Two points:

-At the first post of my in this thread I said sorry is okay for sake of good relation and no apology at least in AL regime. Also they already apologize informally.

- There is a program at Channel-I (or BTV/BTV world ) called "Mukti Juddha Protidin" and look at the host who runs that program then you will understand that how hardcore AL supporters will always remain unchanged.

Last edited:
Well obviously everytime AL come in to power they start about '71 again. I commend the efforts made by both sides to become brotherly nations. Anyways, in relation to Pakistan's international image, well, frankly it needs to do whatever it can to improve it coz its deteriorating here in the West all the time. I was quite upset to see that many here did not donate to the Pakistan floods due to the negative image portrayed by the media. At the end of the day im not an overt nationalist, more of a humanist, so i guess we see the issues differently.

@ D3sir3

Two points:

-At the first post of my in this thread I said sorry is okay for sake of good relation and no apology at least in AL regime. Also they already apologize informally.

- There is a program at Channel-I (or BTV/BTV world ) called "Mukti Juddha Protidin" and look at the host who runs that program then you will understand that how hardcore AL supporters will always remain unchanged.

Thats the problem in BD, too many hardcore party supporters who only see the nation through the lens of their respective political parties...But the younger generations are much more open minded and hopefully BD will be able to progress with such enthuisiastic youth without being hampered by the family saga known as BD politics.:tup:

I don't see why a society or a country should be judged on the basis of the stance of a few.
Gunner, do you realize that one cannot tell from this statement whether you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me?

To be really very honest, we do not understand why other parties than BD people have been more interested for Pakistan's apology. Our president has already apologized (the one who actually took part in 1971 war himself) and now its time to move on.

We have forgiven Mukti Bahni for all the brutal killings just because they still are our brothers, our partners of freedom struggle and the people whom we have lived for 24 years together.

If we need an apology than we must seek forgiveness from God for killing each other.

Back
Top Bottom