What's new

BD flooded with Chinese products...India to pip China: Commerce Minister

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Bangladesh flooded with Chinese products... India to pip China as our largest trade partner: Ghulam Muhammed Quader

Bangladesh flooded with Chinese products... India to pip China as our largest trade partner: Ghulam Muhammed Quader

Interview with Bangladesh commerce minister
Shine Jacob / New Delhi Oct 04, 2012, 00:32 IST

A year after what was “set to be a historic deal” on Teesta water sharing being derailed by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, Bangladesh is still hopeful about the deal and improving ties with India. The neighbouring country’s commerce minister, Ghulam Muhammed Quader, speaks to Shine Jacob about the future of the relationship, economically and bilaterally. Edited excerpts:

Last year, during the visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Bangladesh, a lot of economic and bilateral decisions were taken? Are you satisfied with their implementation?
Many of the bilateral issues were agreed upon and some of them were signed; now the implementation is under process. In certain matters, the agreements are being delayed due to other factors; for example the Teesta treaty where the West Bengal government has some objections. Issues related to enclave situation and people there were also finalised during the Indian prime minister’s visit, but some constitutional amendments need to be done by the Indian government. The present government in India is sincere in implementing whatever they have promised.

Teesta water-sharing treaty saw a lot of last-minute drama, when Mamata Banerjee stood against the increase in water share for Bangladesh from 25,000 cusecs (cubic feet per second) to 50,000 cusecs. With Banerjee’s exit from the UPA coalition, do you see any future of this treaty?
More or less, the situation still remains the same. What we are optimistic about is the treaty, that the Indian government has agreed to, is reasonable and rational. In addition to this, according to the international protocol, the river is flowing from India to Bangladesh, which is also in favour of us. Whatever the hindrance, India is always assuring us that it would be sorted out soon.
The fallout of the Teesta agreement led to the pause of the transit treaty from your side. What is happening with this?
In the transit case, we are agreeable to allow transit to India. From our side, we wanted to have transit to Nepal and Bhutan also. We wanted it to be a win-win situation for both the countries. However, infrastructure in Bangladesh is a concern for us, as road and rail facilities have deteriorated. If Indian trucks are allowed, that can create pressure on our road infrastructure facilities.

How can this problem be solved?
We want India to share the cost of these infrastructure developments, and this is being discussed now. A core committee was formed on this with experts from government and other private stakeholders. It has already submitted the report.

Trade deficit is one of your major concerns. While Bangladesh imports Indian goods worth $5 billion, exports are only around $500 million. How are you going to tackle this?
It is very easy. We are importing a lot of things from India, mainly raw materials for our exports and other essential products. Our concern is to increase the trade volume with India. It has allowed us some big facilities under SAFTA. Almost 99 per cent of the products, except tobacco and alcohol, is duty free. It is like Bangladesh can trade with India in the same way like any other state in this country. In future, we will try to make use of this. Still, there are problems related to para tariffs, non-tariff barriers and regulations on tested items from Bangladesh, which need to be sorted out. Bangladesh and India suffered due to lack of trust. India used to think Bangladesh soil was being used for terrorist activities. We must be trusted, we are not in any way connected with anything bad for India.

China is your largest trading partner, with which you have almost $6-billion bilateral trade. When do you see India surpassing China?
Many of the cheap products coming from China, like toys and electronic equipments, are not needed. From our necessity point of view, China is not that important as India imports raw materials like cotton and food items. The country is flooded with China products. I personally feel trading with India will surpass that with China.

Tata Group had planned a $3-billion investment in Bangladesh, but it did not work out. NTPC’s Khulna project is stuck with some environmental issues. Do you think concerns are still there for Indian investors?
Tata wanted to utilise our gas, and the price they offered, economists said, was not beneficial for Bangladesh. As for the Khulna plant, I don’t know what investors are trying to do. In 2011-12 alone, Indian investment in Bangladesh was about $95 million, through 28 units. In your country also there are stumbling blocks — Tatas were unable to do it in Singur. Indians will get cheaper manpower, electricity in Bangladesh, and duty-free markets across the world. Whatever people say, as far as the political climate is concerned, no investment is unsafe in Bangladesh.

Why all the Indians liking this thread for such a follish and dalali comment by the commerce minister???

Can any one tell me how to to make all the threads as read one .... now its showing as unread one....

Why all the Indians liking this thread for such a follish and dalali comment by the commerce minister???

Can any one tell me how to to make all the threads as read one .... now its showing as unread one....

if you dont like the news, why post it? so that you can start and troll war? Then your newer members ask why we post in your section

if you dont like the news, why post it? so that you can start and troll war? Then your newer members ask why we post in your section

This is not about liking or not liking. This is about what commerce minister said. Seems like his comment Bangladesh is flooded with Chinese goods has brought lots of joy to the Indians...thats what I posted. N you dont need to give lecture here...

This is not about liking or not liking. This is about what commerce minister said. Seems like his comment Bangladesh is flooded with Chinese goods has brought lots of joy to the Indians...thats what I posted. N you dont need to give lecture here...

So whats wrong in this ?

Trade difference of import and export is more than 32 times for Bangladesh with China ...

If your minister point our a real problem so you still have problem with it ?? (.......Razakars)

So whats wrong in this ?

Trade difference of import and export is more than 32 times for Bangladesh with China ...

If your minister point our a real problem so you still have problem with it ?? (.......Razakars)

Idiot the problem is Indian dalali... what the minister was doing. What is the percentage of the cheap product make out of the total import??? This minister did not say that most of the import from China was machines and most of our defense equipment comes from China.

N whats about all the drugs and cheap low quality product that is coming from India??? Why he has not pointed out also that through smuggling India is also flooding Bangladesh market and this smuggling is now cost up to 5 billion usd.

Lastly put your razakars inside you a**.

Idiot the problem is Indian dalali... what the minister was doing. What is the percentage of the cheap product make out of the total import??? This minister did not say that most of the import from China was machines and most of our defense equipment comes from China.

N whats about all the drugs and cheap low quality product that is coming from India??? Why he has not pointed out also that through smuggling India is also flooding Bangladesh market and this smuggling is now cost up to 5 billion usd.

Lastly put your razakars inside you a**.

No one can help blind idiot like you ...... just prove your point that most of your import is machines and defence equipment ( I can bet this is not even a 5% of total import) or you are moron

If your Border guards are not working for your country/traitor then its not our problem.

Terrorist like Razakars can only survive in your useless county not mine

No one can help blind idiot like you ...... just prove your point that most of your import is machines and defence equipment ( I can bet this is not even a 5% of total import) or you are moron

If your Border guards are not working for your country/traitor then its not our problem.

Terrorist like Razakars can only survive in your useless county not mine

Do I need to remind you how many terrorist groups are there in India those who are fighting for independence???

Second thing the smuggling goods are entering from India so India is the main culprit. But this minister have not mentioned anything about that.

Do I need to remind you how many terrorist groups are there in India those who are fighting for independence???

Second thing the smuggling goods are entering from India so India is the main culprit. But this minister have not mentioned anything about that.

Terrorist groups not roaming freely on Indian roads....

Still your own border force is traitor .... we are working for our interests not your

And why you are not talking about trade difference with China ????? :rofl::rofl:

Terrorist groups not roaming freely on Indian roads....

Still your own border force is traitor .... we are working for our interests not your

And why you are not talking about trade difference with China ????? :rofl::rofl:

We already discussed and it is well known. Now Bangladeshi exporters are trying to make China the biggest export destination...RMG is just one of them...

China to become key RMG export market for Bangladesh

Not only that Bangladesh is trying to get most of the diversified manufacturing business from China and Chinese business mans have expressed their interest for that. On top China is ready to support Bangladesh in most of the development Projects which India have not provided or incapable of providing that.

Regarding diversified manufacturing business i would like to add China is going to diversify most of it's RMG and plastic toy industry where the toy industry worth more then 200 billion USD. If Bangladesh can get 10% of it still it will be 20 billion USD.

We already discussed and it is well known. Now Bangladeshi exporters are trying to make China the biggest export destination...RMG is just one of them...

China to become key RMG export market for Bangladesh

Not only that Bangladesh is trying to get most of the diversified manufacturing business from China and Chinese business mans have expressed their interest for that. On top China is ready to support Bangladesh in most of the development Projects which India have not provided or incapable of providing that.

Regarding diversified manufacturing business i would like to add China is going to diversify most of it's RMG and plastic toy industry where the toy industry worth more then 200 billion USD. If Bangladesh can get 10% of it still it will be 20 billion USD.

They show you some dreams and you are happily living with it ...

They will/ to become :lol: (future ... may be or may be not)..... But now they are flooding your market with their products and your local industry is dying ... And if your minister point out it ... Razakars start to cry

They show you some dreams and you are happily living with it ...

They will/ to become :lol: (future ... may be or may be not)..... But now they are flooding your market with their products and your local industry is dying ... And if your minister point out it ... Razakars start to cry

I do not need to hear lecture from a hindutva terror. China is more trusted friend of Bangladesh then India. Anyway which local industry is dying for import from China??? Opposite is true for India.

Lastly dnt feel jealous for the future business potential with China...The toy that we will make here will be used to flood India afterwards. Just wait and watch.

I do not need to hear lecture from a hindutva terror. China is more trusted friend of Bangladesh then India. Anyway which local industry is dying for import from China??? Opposite is true for India.

Lastly dnt feel jealous for the future business potential with China...The toy that we will make here will be used to flood India afterwards. Just wait and watch.

I am not a low life like you to insult a religion cause I dnt want to insult my follow Indian.

I think China help in your independence / or save you a** in 71 ??? :lol:

Jealous ??:rofl::rofl: .. They are looting you in day light and you are still happy with it ( this is what your minister said)

We watched Chinese mall lets wait for your super quality toys ... LOL

dont count the chickens before they are hatched !!
China have a habit of destroying local industrial capacity in any small country!! But they hide that by building free roads , hospitals etc.. And finally they earn more than they invested !!
Lets see in the case of BD

BD should take intro account the Trade deficit. More it increases, more it will affect your local industries. Just keep interest of local industries at higher priority than allowing Chinese products to take over the market.

BD should take intro account the Trade deficit. More it increases, more it will affect your local industries. Just keep interest of local industries at higher priority than allowing Chinese products to take over the market.

Back
Top Bottom