What's new

Begginer's Radar Class

xkasx

New Recruit

Reaction score
Going through the topics on Air crafts there is a lot of debate on Radar systems being used.

Im aware that senior and enthusiast members of the forum will have enough knowledge about radars, But there are people like me who start searching wikis and the web for radar terminologies and basics.

So i thought about starting a new thread and upload my university notes about radar for everyone.

Our uni has training links with Selex Galileo, and i was told that these are the foundation notes which they use in Selex radar engineering courses.

Again i understand everything is available on the net but i just thought may be these can be helpful for someone here.

1:Radar fundamentals

http://www.*******.com/document/veKZVly3/B31SD_Notes_7_Radar_an_Introdu.html

2: Radar Antennas

http://www.*******.com/document/fk0WRFx2/B31SD_Notes_8_Radar_Antennas.html

3: Radar Range Parameters and Equation

http://dc136.*******.com/img/306997753/d8411195/B31SD_Notes_9_Radar__Range_Equ.pdf?rnd=0.8873626370238299

yes thanx friend u opened most important thread since i first got on topic first of all i must than you for doing it yes my knowledge is stilll too little on this and i want to have more info on radars as far pakistan just got ANTPS radars from usa but for some extent i still say they are less capable limited ranges they have as for india they have so many radar system and stations they also have pulse dopplar radars system in 2004 i heared pakistan is interested in veera radar system from czesh republic but no news after that so why pakistan is not doing something to equip it self with high alltitude radars i know we have awacs which also a flying radars but ground radars are more imporatnt too

Hi,

Sir---this thread went totally un-noticed. You know why---because this is the most unheralded science in pakistan. Paks feel no glory attached to it and most can't understand the science or intricacy behind the science---.

Only if our colleague GAMBIT comes to cross this path---he might enlighten us.

Thanks for the post and effort.

Very good basic info. Try not to focus on the math but the general principles. Once those are understood, %99 of the misconceptions about radar detection here will be dispelled.

Basic Principle of Operation

The basic principle of operation of primary radar is simple to understand. However, the theory can be quite complex. An understanding of the theory is essential in order to be able to specify and operate primary radar systems correctly. The implementation and operation of primary radars systems involve a wide range of disciplines such as building works, heavy mechanical and electrical engineering, high power microwave engineering, and advanced high speed signal and data processing techniques. Some laws of nature have a greater importance here.

Radar measurement of range, or distance, is made possible because of the properties of radiated electromagnetic energy.

Reflection of electromagnetic waves
The electromagnetic waves are reflected if they meet an electrically leading surface. If these reflected waves are received again at the place of their origin, then that means an obstacle is in the propagation direction.

Electromagnetic energy travels through air at a constant speed, at approximately the speed of light,
300,000 kilometers per second or
186,000 statute miles per second or
162,000 nautical miles per second.
This constant speed allows the determination of the distance between the reflecting objects (airplanes, ships or cars) and the radar site by measuring the running time of the transmitted pulses.

This energy normally travels through space in a straight line, and will vary only slightly because of atmospheric and weather conditions. By using of special radar antennas this energy can be focused into a desired direction. Thus the direction (in azimuth and elevation of the reflecting objects can be measured.

These principles can basically be implemented in a radar system, and allow the determination of the distance, the direction and the height of the reflecting object.

(The effects atmosphere and weather have on the transmitted energy will be discussed later; however, for this discussion on determining range and direction, these effects will be temporarily ignored.)

Radar Basics - Basic Principle of Operation

Thanks everyone who replied, I was hoping this thread will develop into some kind of Radar Questions and Answers topic, I started off with basic notes and was hoping to share more material on radars. but it seems that this will go unnoticed.

Anyway thanks guys, Specially some senior members ( Super Falcon, MastanKhan, Gambit) I appreciate your encouragement.

:)

Hi,

Sir---this thread went totally un-noticed. You know why---because this is the most unheralded science in pakistan. Paks feel no glory attached to it and most can't understand the science or intricacy behind the science---.

Only if our colleague GAMBIT comes to cross this path---he might enlighten us.

Thanks for the post and effort.

Id differ on that matter, Multiple project's in almost all of the top universities in Pakistan are based on Radar. These range from Synthetic aperture systems to electronically scanned radars using the most innovative techniques.
The problem being that most of these projects never find their way as products. This has more to do with Pakistani psyche which focuses on the commercial sector and not with us being ignorant of Radars. Many graduates of NUST EmE, FAST-Telecom, GIKI electrical have had projects focusing on these topics with a lot of ground made. However due to the greater financial incentive offered by the civilian commercial sector these are left as just projects. The military seems content with working on supporting Radars from foreign sources instead of actively encouraging efforts like this in the education and private sector.
Nobody is going to go ahead and spend his/her precious time and money in months or years of R&D and produce a talking toilet if there isn't anyone they can sell it to later and make a living.
So the issue isn't with Pakistani's finding Radars boring( although I have to admit I often yawned in the Wave and Antenna class :P) . Its with lack of interest from the actual market for Radar's in Pakistan, i.e the Military.
We Pakistani's aren't dumb or lazy, we just need guidance and support. WHICH we don't have.
But nice effort by the thread starter anyway.

Mastan..the **** has hit the fan..I agree, but the room isn't all dirty ;). all that is needed is somebody to tell the occupants to clean it up or else.

Thanks everyone who replied, I was hoping this thread will develop into some kind of Radar Questions and Answers topic, I started off with basic notes and was hoping to share more material on radars. but it seems that this will go unnoticed.

Anyway thanks guys, Specially some senior members ( Super Falcon, MastanKhan, Gambit) I appreciate your encouragement.

:)
The issue, not necessarily 'problem', is that we are in a casual informational, not instructional, format regarding a topic that can consume a person's entire professional career. Or a good chunk of it. There are subordinate categories that will do the same thing. An engineer working on clutter related issue and for a decade or more not once even touch an actual airport deployed weather radar. With today's simulation softwares, he can produce with very good accuracy anything from a minor raincloud to a hurricane. The greater the complexity, the more this sort of things will happen. For the laymen, it is better off that some basic intro information is available and for this type of environment, the laymen really have no choice but to raise questions only when he sees something he does not understand among the many diverse threads.

Santro,

My good man--it was not intended that way---my comments were about the posters lack of interest or knowledge about the subject matter---there is no glory itn it.

Basic Principle of Operation

The basic principle of operation of primary radar is simple to understand. However, the theory can be quite complex. An understanding of the theory is essential in order to be able to specify and operate primary radar systems correctly. The implementation and operation of primary radars systems involve a wide range of disciplines such as building works, heavy mechanical and electrical engineering, high power microwave engineering, and advanced high speed signal and data processing techniques. Some laws of nature have a greater importance here.

Radar measurement of range, or distance, is made possible because of the properties of radiated electromagnetic energy.

Reflection of electromagnetic waves
The electromagnetic waves are reflected if they meet an electrically leading surface. If these reflected waves are received again at the place of their origin, then that means an obstacle is in the propagation direction.

Electromagnetic energy travels through air at a constant speed, at approximately the speed of light,
300,000 kilometers per second or
186,000 statute miles per second or
162,000 nautical miles per second.
This constant speed allows the determination of the distance between the reflecting objects (airplanes, ships or cars) and the radar site by measuring the running time of the transmitted pulses.

This energy normally travels through space in a straight line, and will vary only slightly because of atmospheric and weather conditions. By using of special radar antennas this energy can be focused into a desired direction. Thus the direction (in azimuth and elevation of the reflecting objects can be measured.

These principles can basically be implemented in a radar system, and allow the determination of the distance, the direction and the height of the reflecting object.

(The effects atmosphere and weather have on the transmitted energy will be discussed later; however, for this discussion on determining range and direction, these effects will be temporarily ignored.)

Radar Basics - Basic Principle of Operation

i simply put a question in front of you though i am known to this

why we used AGC in a monopulse tracking radars ???

what are the advantages of step freq contt waves radar over the FMCW radar?

if any one of you wanna study something about a radar in a intersting way than only book i recommends you is just that

RADAR PRINCIPLES by Mirril Skolnik 3 edition

Santro,

My good man--it was not intended that way---my comments were about the posters lack of interest or knowledge about the subject matter---there is no glory itn it.

Mon ami the poster is one man or kid for that matter. I understood your post to be directed toward us all. There are others out there who do understand the field very well. Yes, admittedly I have yet to encounter many people on this forum with that knowledge. But then, most of them now( and truly MOST) are just overzealous fellows fed with the false superiority that our primary education entails and tend to scrape information from wikipedia and present it without knowing anything behind the words and data.
Which is why I carry a bag load of sarcasm to bring them down from their high perch. Call me for my services if you wish. :P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom