What's new

Bill Clinton offered $5 billion to not conduct Nuclear Test in 1998 : Nawaz Sharif

jaiind

Reaction score
Country
India
  • “I would have taken $5 billion from the US for not carrying out nuclear tests if I were not loyal to the country,“ Sharif said.
  • Sharif said this amid a growing chorus for his resignation as PM after the Panama Papers leak.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said on Wednesday that had he not cared for Pakistan, he would have accepted former US president Bill Clinton's offer of $5 billion for not carrying out nuclear tests in 1998.

"I would have taken $5 billion from the US for not carrying out nuclear tests if I were not loyal to the country," Sharif, battling for survival in office over corruption and money laundering charges, said while addressing a political gathering in Sialkot in Punjab on Wednesday.

Pakistan had held the tests within days of India - under PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee - conducting the nuclear implosions at Pokhran in May 1998.

Sharif said this amid a growing chorus for his resignation as PM by his opponents after an investigation team, tasked by the Supreme Court to probe his offshore assets and companies revealed by the Panama Papers leak, found him and his children guilty of perjury , forging documents and concealing assets. Sharif warned his opponents that if he was being held "accountable" today , it would be their turn tomorrow
http://www.sify.com/news/sharif-say...e-tests-news-international-kf2tEijgbcasi.html

There is a nuclear armed State that hasn't officially tested nuclear weapons.

India would have been sanctioned while Pakistan got $5Billion in loans(probably) and the people in the world who actually matter would know Pakistan has nukes.

Win-Win?

19905064_1600811809928971_91668407305408183_n.jpg

I am with Mr Nawasharif in these difficult times. He did great jobs, which no body admires and admits. Geo Nawaz. He always does something big and which costs him his govt. This time CPEC.

True that, people on the forum accuse NS of corruption, that guys is so stinking rich does he even need to indulge in petty corruption?

Whatever duties he performed while in chair as PM are national secrets and should not be discussed in political rallies.
sorry for newbie question
does testing mattered this much test or no test we would have been a nuclear state just like Israel and by not conducting the test we would have gotten lots of aids, f 16s,access new weapons and would have gotten more closer to america(near darling status).

The sharif family is corrupt there's no two ways about it and I don't care if he is in power and everyone is talking about keeping because it's good for the country if you will not get rid of this corrupt family now then remember you will be enslaved by this family for your generations to come

I am with Mr Nawasharif in these difficult times. He did great jobs, which no body admires and admits. Geo Nawaz. He always does something big and which costs him his govt. This time CPEC.
Cpec is part of a global economic design of china called obor, u do know that dont u?, cpec is fastracked by china because they want an alternate route for their oil because their existing route has the american fleet sitting on it, grow a brain, nawaz shareef has nothing to do with cpec..

does testing mattered this much test or no test we would have been a nuclear state just like Israel and by not conducting the test we would have gotten lots of aids, f 16s,access new weapons and would have gotten more closer to america(near darling status).
Do u think the yanks are that stupid and easy lol?? the test was of no consequence....the only way to get into yankee good graces was abandon the programme and if history has taught us anything, its the fact that bieng an enemy of the Us is safer than bieng their friend...

He is not talking about the consequences for him not testing nukes back in 98. Everyone knows this tw** was against the tests and wanted to serve the Amerian masters interests. Bottom line is, there was no other option but to test. Pakistan would have gone ahead, with or without him.

Well not exactly true. His government at those times would have been given a bailout package by the Clinton administration. The overall offer would have been around 10 billion dollars when you throw in the added on perks.

But he made the manly choice and did go for tests. He will forever be remembered in Pakistan's history for that. I for one have tremendous respect for him in that regard.

Its not just the nuclear test but Kargil story as well.

But that is not the matter right now at hand for Mr. Sharif

My are... if the $$$ were offered and if he did refuse it... it was because he would have been lynched for doing so by the security establishment and not because of some sort of loyalty on the part of Nawaz.

If he was truly loyal to pakistan; he wouldn't have any business ties with the sworn enemy state of India which wishes to push pakistan into the sea.

We saw what happened to Iraq and Syria for being suspected of having weapons.

If the Americans raised a stink about our secret nukes, they would have invaded right after the Afghan War.

The reason they dont care about Israel, is because they have a massive lobby in DC, so Pakistan couldn't expect the same treatment unless we also decided to match their lobbying efforts.

The sharif family is corrupt there's no two ways about it and I don't care if he is in power and everyone is talking about keeping because it's good for the country if you will not get rid of this corrupt family now then remember you will be enslaved by this family for your generations to come
What I know is his family is ridiculously rich even before his entry in to politics,so I don't think nawaz was a corrupted fellow.

We saw what happened to Iraq and Syria for being suspected of having weapons.

If the Americans raised a stink about our secret nukes, they would have invaded right after the Afghan War.

The reason they dont care about Israel, is because they have a massive lobby in DC, so Pakistan couldn't expect the same treatment unless we also decided to match their lobbying efforts.
Mate,if US wants to invade pakistan or India or northkore,they will do it,no matter how many nukes do you have. We guys yet to have a long range nuke delivery system to US.

Mate,if US wants to invade pakistan or India or northkore,they will do it,no matter how many nukes do you have. We guys yet to have a long range nuke delivery system to US.

The US wont declare war on another nuclear armed country, unless they can guarantee 100% that all nukes can be accounted for and will be neutralised immediately, which is of course impossible.

Maybe the missiles cant reach North America, but there are plenty of US targets in Asia and Europe. Besides that there are other ways of delivering the payload like planes, or if the situation is desperate enough on a ship or lorry.

Back
Top Bottom