What's new

BJP chief claims English bad for India, triggers outrage

Not really. Most of these states have a substantial non-Hindu population, there will be no acceptance from them. I also don't buy that everyone else will accept Sanskrit, quite a few will but a there will be many who won't. Especially if it is at the cost of English. Tamil Nadu still stays out, as will the states of the NE and Kashmir. This will also give Dalit groups one more grouse.What then will be achieved by such a move? Nothing in my opinion. As a practical move, this won't work.

Totally agree, at least some one speaking logically.

From Indian independence the federal state has promoted Hindi, to try and unify a common protocol of conversation. Many states felt the choice of Hindi would disadvantage their people and so English was chosen to bridge that divide. After half a century of effort and some progress (Bollywood movies are starting to penetrate other markets and spreading Hindi language and indian culture with it).

You now have people putting forward Sanskrit as the new common language. So they want to start again, why? What would be the benefits to it. Would it replace Hindi? Would it replace English? What would be the additional logistical cost? How many languages are people expected to learn? Most politicians fully know this is not workable, but show just how dumb they are.

I think only an upfront disclosure of one's religion will make the discussions more honest and meaningful. Right now, only through unintended Freudian slips, are we able to guess at the real agenda of such posters. And then they will go around claiming that their religion has nothing to do with their views even when the Pavlovian responses are out in the open.

Do not make the mistake of over-thinking. It doesn't help. Even if you assumed I have a motive(btw, I have been accused by many of having different motives, at different times :lol:), it takes away nothing from the point that I have made. Argue the point if you will, arguing an supposed motive won't get you anywhere.

Totally agree, at least some one speaking logically.

From Indian independence the federal state has promoted Hindi, to try and unify a common protocol of conversation. Many states felt the choice of Hindi would disadvantage their people and so English was chosen to bridge that divide. After half a century of effort and some progress (Bollywood movies are starting to penetrate other markets and spreading Hindi language and indian culture with it).

You now have people putting forward Sanskrit as the new common language. So they want to start again, why? What would be the benefits to it. Would it replace Hindi? Would it replace English? What would be the additional logistical cost? How many languages are people expected to learn? Most politicians fully know this is not workable, but show just how dumb they are.

That group is a very small minority, which you will only face in similar discussion forums. So basically it's pointless. But it's good to have a discussion you know. We get to know others ideas and point of views as well.

Sanskrit has a history. Dalits don't share your opinion. It doesn't matter what you see as glorious history, their perspective is different. As is that of the minority groups. You have left out the NE & Kashmir.You can pretend that you can get by without considering what I have said, but as a realist & a non-believer in fairy tales, I have to disagree.

Sanskrit has a Wonderful history, a wonderful present..............No need to remind you that our National Anthem is in Sanskrit. :azn: .......our National Song is also in Sanskrit.

I think you do not give enough credit to our founding fathers and the reverence Indians have for sanskrit.

I also dont think you qualify to be a spokes person for the 'dalits' ......... you should stick to being spokes person for the christian's if you want to claim that spot.

Is Hindi being taught in Kashmir and NE ? Is english being taught in Kashmir and NE ? .........Sanskrit too should be taught there.....there is no contradiction.

I have considered what you have said .....but your implication that 'Sanskrit is Hindu' is laughable and it makes me dismiss your opinion just as fast.

Do you believe in the fairy tale of jesus being of virgin birth ? or him rising from the dead ? ........... just curious to know the kind of fairy tales you believe.

There is no such move...:lol:, this is just forum gymnastics & should be understood as such. Harmless discussion. No such proposal will pass muster. Doesn't hurt to indulge in some mental gymnastics now & then:D

You are clearly an Idiot who do not understand written English. I have already explained the stupidity in assuming Learning Sanskrit is not the same as NOT learning english. You muslims have a difficult time understanding this simple concept.

Loving Hindus is NOT the same as hating muslims. Being Hindu Nationalist is NOT the same as throwing out muslims. It is only fools who see this as a zero sum game.

Sanskrit was never a widely spoken language. It was a language of scholars and much of our significant works is written in sanskrit. Spoken sanskrit was Prakrit, which is nothing but Tatsama.

I will let others who have at least 2 or more brain cells to rub together to decide who's the idiot, and thanks for admitting Sanskrit was never a widely spoken language.

Sanskrit has a Wonderful history, a wonderful present..............No need to remind you that our National Anthem is in Sanskrit. :azn: .......our National Song is also in Sanskrit.

I think you do not give enough credit to our founding fathers and the reverence Indians have for sanskrit.

Reverence is fine, it is imposition we are talking about.
I also dont think you qualify to be a spokes person for the 'dalits' ......... you should stick to being spokes person for the christian's if you want to claim that spot.

Not necessary to be spokesman for any group, still can read & understand what is.....and no, you are going to get a rise from me.......:lol:

Is Hindi being taught in Kashmir and NE ? Is english being taught in Kashmir and NE ? .........Sanskrit too should be taught there.....there is no contradiction.

Not to you. No one is about to add another language to the mix.

I have considered what you have said .....but your implication that 'Sanskrit is Hindu' is laughable and it makes me dismiss your opinion just as fast.

Move on then....:lol:

Do you believe in the fairy tale of jesus being of virgin birth ? or him rising from the dead ? ........... just curious to know the kind of fairy tales you believe.

:lol::lol:

Jana Gana Mana is written in highly Sanskritised (Tatsama - Tatsama are Sanskrit loanwords in modern Indic languages) Bengali (written in a literary register called Sadhu bhasa). It was written in 1911.

Vande Mataram was written in spontaneous session using words from Sanskrit and Bengali. It was written in 1882.

Now it is 2013. :D

Do not make the mistake of over-thinking. It doesn't help. Even if you assumed I have a motive(btw, I have been accused by many of having different motives, at different times :lol:), it takes away nothing from the point that I have made. Argue the point if you will, arguing an supposed motive won't get you anywhere.

That assumption is being made because you "pretend" to know how others think about Sanskrit. On what basis are you asserting that Dalits are opposed to Sanskrit? Has any such survey been carried out? You claim to be living in a metropolis and yet casteism is never away from your mind. Do you ask your co worker if he is a Dalit ? On the one hand you claim that English is just a language of convenience and on the other, you slyly insinuate that it should be preferred because certain Indian languages are tainted by religion and so wont be acceptable to minorities. So , Muslim should feel closer to Arabic because in it are his scriptures?

If that be the argument for retaining English, then I believe Rajnath Singh has got it absolutely right and Hindus should just ram Sanskrit down the throat of minorities...economics be damned.....

That is all so much ado about nothing. Sanskrit was never a widely spoken language, even at its heights. Most ordinary folks never spoke sanskrit.

As a matter of fact, that is not true. Most Hindi words are derived from pure Sanskrit words, e.g. Macchli from Matsya. So Sanskrit was widely spoken but over time the words underwent changes in its various Prakrit off-shoots.

Bang Galore, when America was founded they had many different languages. The biggest ethnic group was Germans, followed by Irish, British, Scottish, Italians, Spanish, Dutch, etc. Then of course you had blacks from Africa and the natives too.

Do you think it was too much of an "imposition" to make English the official language?

What about the UK? They have a lot of different languages, but use English as standard. Even the Scottish speak English.

How about Germany? German is the official language, even though they have many languages in their country.

Same with French in France. Or Spanish in Spain.

Now I can't use China as an example, since the Indian members here will just disregard it, but what about all the Western nations above?

China has been fortunate in escaping direct colonial rule while India was not so lucky... The scars from colonialism run deep and the worst part is that the sufferer is now in love with those scars -- a kind of Stockholm syndrome, and will not allow for surgery at any cost. Continuation of English is one such deep scar:

In my opinion English is an international language and there is no getting away from it, even if it were possible to have an Indic national language.

However, what is more important is the thoughts rather than the medium of expression. We should preserve the Indic world-view regardless of the language used.

Imposition of sanskrit is no more different than imposition of Hindi. It is better than Hindi and far more Indians will relate to it.

Not to you. No one is about to add another language to the mix.

Not if you make Sanskrit compulsory and make Hindi as non compulsory subject. ............. in any case, that will give something to people from the Hindi belt to chew on.....

A pity you did not share with us the kind of fairy tales you believe in :devil:

ha ha ha yourself.

I don't need your permission to 'practice it' you pompous a$$ :lol: ...Other are also practicing it........ in fact the percentage of people who want to learn sanskrit is increasing. Today more people know Sanskrit than they did 60 years ago.

With Hindu revival and associated cultural renaissance, Sanskrit will only continue to regain its status.

Yea sure, and it will soon overtake Hindi as the most widely spoken language in how many years? 10, 100, 1000.

I think my goldfish has higher IQ then you, as you are unable to converse intelligently you revert to calling some one an ***, growup.

Back
Top Bottom