What's new

BJP chief claims English bad for India, triggers outrage

That assumption is being made because you "pretend" to know how others think about Sanskrit. On what basis are you asserting that Dalits are opposed to Sanskrit? Has any such survey been carried out? You claim to be living in a metropolis and yet casteism is never away from your mind. Do you ask your co worker if he is a Dalit ? On the one hand you claim that English is just a language of convenience and on the other, you slyly insinuate that it should be preferred because certain Indian languages are tainted by religion and so wont be acceptable to minorities. So , Muslim should feel closer to Arabic because in it are his scriptures?

If that be the argument for retaining English, then I believe Rajnath Singh has got it absolutely right and Hindus should just ram Sanskrit down the throat of minorities...economics be damned.....

I claim no spokesmanship but it would be silly to behave as if certain issues never existed. Casteism isn't decided by what is in your mind or mine, it is what is. Same with religious bias.

My point on English is made on many levels, convenience being one of them. As for anyone ramming anything down anybody else's throats, that will just remain a wet dream of a few and it would be pointless to waste time on that. Come back when that happens:lol:.

Ah man that was fun, wonder where our friend has run off too? Prob looking up his jibberish to Sanskrit dictionary, ah well hope to see you guys soon in the next instalment. Take care n stay safe.

Luckily, because you were never colonized, you have kept your wisdom intact. In India, we have wild theories from decultured people who think they know everything.

Its more about the lack of spine to face facts rather than loosing wisdom. When fear clouds the intellect ...there is nothing much anyone can do.

The bengalis are literally crawling due to lack of spine ..... :cheesy:

Ah man that was fun, wonder where our friend has run off too? Prob looking up his jibberish to Sanskrit dictionary, ah well hope to see you guys soon in the next instalment. Take care n stay safe.

Bye man.... even I'm off now. take care!

Language is not a neutral vehicle...it carries its own peculiar culture... and the earlier we understand it, the better it will be for protecting our heritage.

Thoughts too require a proper milieu. Try discussing the Upanishads or Soordas in English or Arabic. Can you even come close to its real meaning?

It depends upon how powerful the ideas are. There are plenty of discussions on the Upanishads in English. And in the process many Sanskrit words have entered the English language. Obviously one should also preserve the ability to appreciate the original version.

I claim no spokesmanship but it would be silly to behave as if certain issues never existed. Casteism isn't decided by what is in your mind or mine, it is what is. Same with religious bias.

My point on English is made on many levels, convenience being one of them. As for anyone ramming anything down anybody else's throats, that will just remain a wet dream of a few and it would be pointless to waste time on that. Come back when that happens:lol:.

Like it or not, language is the prime vehicle for culture and by emphasizing on English, Hindus are gradually weakening theirs. You have yourself now admitted that convenience is just one of the reasons for propagating English. What are the other reasons?? Can we have it in Black and White please.

Its more about the lack of spine to face facts rather than loosing wisdom. When fear clouds the intellect ...there is nothing much anyone can do.

The bengalis are literally crawling due to lack of spine ..... :cheesy:

I agree. Lately Bengal has been in the forefront of the Fifth Column.

Also, an Indian poster was recently lecturing me about China losing its culture. What language do you think Confucius wrote in? Chinese. What language is our constitution written in? Chinese. Where was our highest leader born? China.

Same for most other countries. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Actually it be that Dharma will be better preserved by the Chinese civilization, because elites in its native land have become mentally colonized.

Bang Galore, when America was founded they had many different languages. The biggest ethnic group was Germans, followed by Irish, British, Scottish, Italians, Spanish, Dutch, etc. Then of course you had blacks from Africa and the natives too.

Do you think it was too much of an "imposition" to make English the official language?

What about the UK? They have a lot of different languages, but use English as standard. Even the Scottish speak English.

How about Germany? German is the official language, even though they have many languages in their country.

Same with French in France. Or Spanish in Spain.

Now I can't use China as an example, since the Indian members here will just disregard it, but what about all the Western nations above?

Historically, what develops somewhere is decided by a number of factors. The U.S. was a new country with no inherent history by itself(for the immigrants) even if the people had their own. My point is simple. Given what we know of the cultural & linguistic emphasis of many Indians, it would be foolish & counter-productive to go down that path. Mind you, it was tried and met with resistance. The resistance was what made people back off. Contrary to what a few here say, it was quite severe in places & that resentment is sometimes held even to this day. Some things don't work & spending too much energy & political capital on what might fail & cause disharmony, especially when an alternative exists, is very unwise. Doesn't matter what other countries have managed, sometimes it works & other times, it doesn't. This has worked for India, however imperfectly and in the end that is what matters

Its a dravidian language but its not mutually intelligible... there is some similarity between telugu and kannada it seems @neehar @jbgt90 can confirm

kannada is more closely related to tamil and malayalam than telugu.all of those 3 come under south dravidian but telugu comes under south central dravidian yet most kannadigas and tamils understand telugu than they understand each others language

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahhh .... but you did claim spokesman-ship for the Dalits and you were happy wearing that hat till you were caught doing that.

Casteism is decided by what is in the mind....what else is there ? ...is it decided by blood tests ?

Sanskrit does not have to be rammed down anybody's throat.........it will be gladly accepted. As for the 'minority' few who does not accept it ........ deal with that firmly.

L You have yourself now admitted that convenience is just one of the reasons for propagating English. What are the other reasons?? Can we have it in Black and White please.

Refusal to accept any other Indian language (pan India) would be the main one. Everything else from that.

However, now that you mention it, Sanskrit would not be acceptable to many(even in its now dead form) because of its connection to Hinduism. India is imply different.

Do you think it is acceptable that those who suffered conversion turn their backs on their own heritage.

That is exactly the thought process of Jinnah. His grandfather was a Hindu but he claimed to belong to a completely different civilization, in conflict with his ancestral civilization.

people think kannada is close to telugu bcoz of the similarities in scripts.they have a relation coz both are dravidian but kannada is directly born out of tamil somewhere around 2000AD while telugu was born out of proto dravidian.if one learns tamil,telugu and kannada at a basic level or just some reseach on net for an hr on net can confirm that fact

Do you think it is acceptable that those who suffered conversion turn their backs on their own heritage.

That is exactly the thought process of Jinnah. His grandfather was a Hindu but he claimed to belong to a completely different civilization, in conflict with his ancestral civilization.

It is much worse that that ........ Neo converts have additional fresh guilty that makes them rabid Anti-Hindus.........It takes many generations for that gulit to go away. But as you can see......it never goes away. It is always manifested as Anti-Hindu sentiments.

It depends upon how powerful the ideas are. There are plenty of discussions on the Upanishads in English. And in the process many Sanskrit words have entered the English language. Obviously one should also preserve the ability to appreciate the original version.

English does not even have adequate vocabulary for Hindu ideas . Rather, the Danger of us being contaminated and straight jacketed into their peculiar concepts and terminologies is very high and real. So, we have Lord Rama, Lord Shiva and even Hindus use these words freely. What is all this about lords?? Does it really correspond to the Sanskrit meaning and can a person ,who has no knowledge of Indian languages, ever hope to approach the correct context? Does Karma or Moksha have the same meaning in English as in our religious texts?

If you read the Upanishads in Sanskrit, you will understand that it is impossible to transfer its subtle philosophy to the English translation... does not even come close. Read the Griffith translation of the Vedas and note how absurd it reads.

Back
Top Bottom