What's new

Boeing EPE upgrade to the US Navy fleet & International.

Cat12345

New Recruit

Reaction score
Long time reading this proposal and wondering how many of you folks would want the EPE fitted to the Super Hornet fleet and a LCA (Tejas). I'm actually interested in this international proposal What it provides is a new multi growth engine and enters a 1:1 T/W Ratio if fitted to the Rhino. It enhances better acceleration, better maneuverability. It even gives better A2A ability for the Rhino against the faster high flying targets. Think this is a great option for the Super bug fleet. :super:

attachment.php

Yea more thrust and the EPE would be factual to the fleet. I usually wonder why they did't integrate the EPE's when Block II came out. EPE existed way back in 2007. Now it's an option to the Navy or costumers who own the super hornet. I think its more suited for the rhino. Although i'm certainly interested for a EPE fitted to the Rhino. Boeing is currently testing the ASH (Advanced Super Hornet) next month. I can't wait till the results come with the whole configuration testing. It's going to test at Naval Air Station Patuxent River. They are focusing on it's aerodynamics which i heard on a news cast.

Yea more thrust and the EPE would be factual to the fleet. I usually wonder why they did't integrate the EPE's when Block II came out. EPE existed way back in 2007. Now it's an option to the Navy or costumers who own the super hornet. I think its more suited for the rhino. Although i'm certainly interested for a EPE fitted to the Rhino. Boeing is currently testing the ASH (Advanced Super Hornet) next month. I can't wait till the results come with the whole configuration testing. It's going to test at Naval Air Station Patuxent River. They are focusing on it's aerodynamics which i heard on a news cast.

Yes it's factual to the fleet. It's going to rerceive more engine growth around 2020? They didn't want to integrate EPE early so they had to let that option late so the EPE won't be that old. Block III is the last upgrade for the super hornet. It might recive more missionary and system upgrades. No more enhancements once Block III is done selling in the market.

Well there was another EDE engine and the INS6 for India was based on it.

Well there was another EDE engine and the INS6 for India was based on it.

F414-GE-INS6 India is interested in this engine, not the EDE.

India's Aeronautical Development Agency selected the F414-GE-INS6 engine to power the Mk II version of the HAL Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) for the Indian Air Force. 99 engines were ordered in October 2010. The engine is to produce more thrust than previous F414 versions. It features a Full Authority Digital Electronic Control system. The F414-GE-INS6 is to have six stages. The engines are to be delivered by 2013. I think it gets 22kn?

F414-GE-INS6

India's Aeronautical Development Agency selected the F414-GE-INS6 engine to power the Mk II version of the HAL Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) for the Indian Air Force. 99 engines were ordered in October 2010. The engine is to produce more thrust than previous F414 versions. It features a Full Authority Digital Electronic Control system. The F414-GE-INS6 is to have six stages. The engines are to be delivered by 2013.

I think the engines will be delivered in early 2014 as there are a few ****** that needed to be cleared. And is the USN also going for the same engine or a different one as the EPE had a poor fuel economy.

And is the USN also going for the same engine? or a different one? as the EPE had a poor fuel economy.

EPE Engine
Furthermore, Boeing has claimed very clearly that an upgraded engine would enable better acceleration, and better rate of climb both of which are improvements for A2A performance. It does enhance the SH in A2A in all aspects. EPE is $8m each

EDE Engine
The "Enhanced Durability Engine" or "EDE" variant, includes an improved high pressure turbine and high pressure compressor. The HPT is redesigned to withstand slightly higher temperatures and includes aerodynamic changes. The HPC has been redesigned to 6 stages, down from 7. These changes were aimed at reducing SFC by 2% and three times greater component durability.

A quote from another site.

Actually, there are two versions of the F414 in play here. The EDE, "Enhanced Durability Engine, and the EPE, "Enhanced Performance Engine". The EDE entails improements to the coe and updated software to signficantly improve the life of the engine, and as a side benefit reduce fuel burn. The EPE adds a new fan and changes in flow to the EDE, and that's where the extra thrust comes in while maintaing the durability.

I don't know if they will choose the EPE or EDE.

EPE Engine
Furthermore, Boeing has claimed very clearly that an upgraded engine would enable better acceleration, and better rate of climb both of which are improvements for A2A performance. It does enhance the SH in A2A in all aspects. EPE is $8m each

EDE Engine
The "Enhanced Durability Engine" or "EDE" variant, includes an improved high pressure turbine and high pressure compressor. The HPT is redesigned to withstand slightly higher temperatures and includes aerodynamic changes. The HPC has been redesigned to 6 stages, down from 7. These changes were aimed at reducing SFC by 2% and three times greater component durability.

A quote from another site.

I don't know if they will choose the EPE or EDE.

I guess the USN might strike a balance between the 2 engines so as to maintain their fleet of Super hornets till 2040.

Long time reading this proposal and wondering how many of you folks would want the EPE fitted to the Super Hornet fleet and a LCA (Tejas). I'm actually interested in this international proposal What it provides is a new multi growth engine and enters a 1:1 T/W Ratio if fitted to the Rhino. It enhances better acceleration, better maneuverability. It even gives better A2A ability for the Rhino against the faster high flying targets. Think this is a great option for the Super bug fleet. :super:

attachment.php

I am hopeful to see that in coming future PAC - Engine division will be doing R&D on Turbo Shafts as well as on Turbo Jet engines.

I am hopeful to see that in coming future PAC - Engine division will be doing R&D on Turbo Shafts as well as on Turbo Jet engines.

On the JF-17? JF-17 would super-cruise having those engines and be a very powerful aircraft making the JF-17 the best in your country. I hope PAC gets the EPE on the JF-17. :pakistan:

On the JF-17? JF-17 would super-cruise having those engines and be a very powerful aircraft making the JF-17 the best in your country. I hope PAC gets the EPE on the JF-17. :pakistan:

Though it was amazing to see how Pakistan has been trapped in world pressure and misleading that the projects on which Pakistan was committed didn't met any criteria in the past decade.

Like we all were expecting to see the JF-17 PT-06 with Composites, Retractable In Flight refueling probe, RD-93B(later on local assembly of it at PAC) and along with it dual seat being started to develop with first flight being scheduled by the end of 2007 and service entry in by 2008-09.

But we haven't able to see that. I am still hopeful that there are good signs now and I am sure economy will going to grow.

Note: I sound Bias but this is what we all were expecting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom