What's new

Bolder now, India showing more risk appetite in its relations with China

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
I thought I will post PDF think tank @Dillinger ‘s article here since he visits the forum sporadically now>>>

Bolder now, India showing more risk appetite in its relations with China

Bhaswar Kumar | New Delhi Nov 02, 2017 02:42 PM IST

1506486444-1245.jpg

USS Nimitz, INS Vikramaditya and JS Izumo in close formation during Malabar 2017. Photo: @indiannavy

From face-off with Chinese troops at Doklam to being the only major country to boycott Xi Jinping's Belt and Road Forum in May this year, India appears to have significantly upped its risk appetite when it comes to its relations with Beijing.

And now, recent official statements from government bodies indicate India’s "openness" to revisiting a decade-old security framework, a move likely to make the dragon's hackles rise.

In response to the Japanese government’s proposal for a four-party dialogue among New Delhi, Washington, Tokyo, and Canberra to counter Beijing's expansion in the maritime commons of the Indo-Pacific, India’s Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Friday said the country was open to working with like-minded countries. Besides, it has been reported that senior officials from the four countries could meet in Manila this month on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit to discuss a proposed quadrilateral.

With more convergence on ‘quad’, India indicates it may take the leap

The MEA statement does not formally announce India's entry into the proposed framework, but it most certainly indicates a change in New Delhi's policy (since 2007) of avoiding a quadrilateral security mechanism to prevent tensions with China.

"What stands out is that New Delhi is no longer defensive about outlining its priorities. There now are growing voices within the country that India should not be shy of such a quad. There is a growing recognition in the region that China is gaining ground so fast that like-minded countries will need to work more cohesively together," says Harsh V Pant, professor of international relations at the Defence Studies Department, and the India Institute at King’s College, London.

Continued in the article here >>>

http://wap.business-standard.com/ar...-its-relations-with-china-117110200708_1.html

Do give your opinion
@anant_s @MilSpec @WebMaster
@pothead @Soumitra @egodoc222

How toothless is India?
See here.

Nothing it can do:

Even China destroyed superpower US ambition of getting this Masood Azhar to be accountable.

So Modi kis khet ki muli hai bhai?

Modi = All hat and no cattle.

All Modi wants is votes to remain traveling in his 747 Jumbo jet with private cook at his disposal and his crony Adani.

yeah, and china will work together with middle east and ASEAN to contain india.

this kind of thing never ends.

China will definitely supply Pakistan with more nuclear weapons.

I for one hope that China will supply Pakistan with precision missile to hit taj mahal if india tries anything.

From Indian perspective... the formulation and execution of the curren Indian policy is driven primarily by sense of diminishing returns what the Indian policy establishment percieves as China Appeasement. Also, existential angst regarding South Tibet and NE plays a part.

This is also the motivation of energetic opposition to CPEC.

Regarding OBOR opposition...it appears to have more to do with creating chips on the negotiation table than actual opposition to the BRI. Why else would India be part of AIIB or BRICS otherwise.

In the coming time we are primed to see more 'stand-offs' just like the last one. Both PRC and India are expecting this Cat-n-Mouse to play out with increasing frequency. So staying tuned won't be a bad idea aferall.

On many different levels such stand-offs can/shall serve the domestic appetites on both fronts. However, managing the Stage of such confrontations would require the highest maturity of policymakers to not let things come to a boil.

India is at the verge of defining her future course in the coming months and years. The direction that such a policy will take have a lasting impact on Asia and beyond:

a) Asian affairs led/managed by Asians = India and China find a working mechanism

b) Asian affairs still led by external powers = India joins the US led China Containment Party.

As Indian elites, rightfully or wrongfully, percieve a global, great power role for India it would be difficult for them to play second fiddle to China. The feeling of Civilisational Uniqueness is deeply rooted in Indian psyche. Hence, the complusion of certain hues.

On the other end of the spectrum, from Indian perspective, is the undeclared alliance with the US led overtly containment party. Herein, there is studied hesitation from Indian establishment to go full throtle. At least not in the current configuration. Despite the seduction episodes of last two US Admins... Indians have played hard to get so far.

As of now there have not been any tangible benefits, from Indian perspective, which can warrant an overt eagerness to join the China Containment Party. Yet.

Also, somewhere emotionally there is an element of 'my backyard' when it comes to South Asia. Indians appear to see Chinese investments in the region as loss of perstige and weakening of their strategic clout among the smaller countries. This must also put opposition to OBOR/BRI into proper perspective.

And then there is Eternal Nemesis to the West... That South West Asian regional power which refuses to any Indian advances. Again China is there to make sure the continuiting of Pak as a viable state. CPEC is a framework on so many levels that it has become imperative for Indian establishment to oppose it with full force. And NO... it has nothing to do with disputed terriorty narrative...that is just a vehicle.

From China's perspective... the Time for China has come... and no power on this Earth can stop it. This is the motivation and driving force behind Xi's Thought and Action.

In this dynamic one fears that tensions will remain and will increase on different levels or forms. China has firmly set its sights on South Tibet and a certian part of Kashmir... which for India would be unacceptable as it would amount to existential threat.

The US, JP and Aus would like nothing better that for India to 'take the lead' in this emerging dynamic. The socalled coming of age and standing up to China.

We can never reduce the relationship between China and India to mere simple notions. Both would do everything possible to avoid a direct confrontation or let the tenstions/hostility to become unmanagable.

Regardless, the nationalistic fervers or PDF brovados... this relationship needs to be managed extremely well. Any miscalculation would be a disaster for not only South Asia but perhaps the world.

But for now we must expect that both sides would appear to dig in... losing Face is no Option for China.... and Indians will also not like to loose their sense of Indian Honour infront of the world. But most importantly infront of South Asians.

Hopefully, wise sense pervails and constructive dialouge could begin following an agreed framework.

Signs don't bode well.

@hellfire @Joe Shearer @The Eagle @Oscar @scorpionx @Chinese-Dragon @Kaptaan friends what is your take on the situation? Having views from both sides would help form a better understanding of ground realities.

Awesome news...India has long been maintaining status quo...if it wishes to be in the security council. It has to start behaving as one.
China never shown consideration to Indian sensitivities...while framing it's policy in this region and beyond..it is about time we do the same..

Things will start changing slowly as far as regional politics is concerned.
India ain't what it was 2 decades ago and am sure Chinese leadership realizes it too. India isn't far behind as an economy and therefore while I don't expect bonhomie between two countries, Chinese foreign policy, must treat India differently.
Provocative policy will simply make matters worse and if there is a lesson to be learnt from Dokalam episode, it is that bullying doesn't work and it is next to impossible to expect an appetite for hot war even for a country of economic and geo political muscle as China.
India on its part is shedding an old image of a shy nation, not willing to be intimidated by propaganda and this is a stance, we are likely to see in future too.

China has become power hungry
These chinkis cant speak english and want to rule over the world . Hitler also did try but we all know what happened to Hitler. Xi beware the world is ready and against China.

China is a shameless rogue nation supporting terrorists for its strategic gains and trying to woo poorer nations with money and lucrative deals.But not for long.The day is near when international community will boycott this nation in every field because of its hipocrasy.

Since when speaking "English" becomes a prerequisite to rule the world?

oh i get it @nair is an indian poster hence why he loves handing out negative dislikes to pakistani posters.

unbelievable this guy has never ever made a logical comment or a comment that warrants a good discussion yet is the first one to hand out dislikes because someone states facts about india that he doesn't like.

@nair hit the ignore button on my profile so you dont see my comments because other then you no 1 gives dislikes. PS this a pakistani forum never forget that !

I do.

As for your advice, I like reading your posts, and reminding myself that not all Pakistanis are of the high standards of the white list.

And remember that this is a Pakistani forum that is open to all members, some of whom are empowered more than whiny little kids who can do nothing but spout venom all day long.

China and India seems to have hit the low bottom in relationships after the BJP took control of Indian government? I don't recall such acrimony when the previous Congress government ruled the Indian government. Is the change in Indian attitude towards China due to the change in government and if so, and if there is any chance of Congress winning the next election will that mean a reversal of the current policies towards China ?

Reported for being off-topic.
Reported for personal abuse.

Hello Uncle Joe. I prefer when you post informatively and respond intellectually to posts instead of chastising the kids here. Bad chai day again perhaps ? :D

Hello Uncle Joe. I prefer when you post informatively and respond intellectually to posts instead of chastising the kids here. Bad chai day again perhaps ? :D

LOL.

No, just a cheeky little brat interrupting. I really thought this thread interesting.

Let me go back to the point.

Thanks for the clout on the head, btw.

There are two conflicting lines of action converging here, the Chinese, and the non-Chinese.

The Chinese have definitely decided, sometime during the first period of office of Xi, to stand up and claim its due position as the new leader of the world, waiting in the wings patiently for the current leader to run out of steam.

At the same time, they will not endanger this position by seeming to be unreliable and a loose cannon. Much of the weakening of the position of the United States is due to the perception of smaller nations, and those not in its intimate clutches, that it abuses its power, and that its actions are increasingly idiosyncratic, as its power wielders, military, diplomatic and Presidential, become less and less responsible to due process within the constitution. China is probably sharply aware of the danger of repeating that same mistake, and failing to hold the imagination and the attention of the world; that would defeat their intention of standing out from the pack.

So this new team will probably be more cautious in wielding power. But not inactive. In my view, China will take up certain matters as vital to its national interest, like increasing its power in the South China Sea, and push those to their logical conclusion: the elimination of US intervention in the Chinese zone of influence, the acquiescence of its neighbours in Chinese surroundings.

The Indians, on the other, have always exercised strategic restraint. However, all those old policies are now treated with suspicion, unless there is in them an opportunity for unrestrained bluster, or for first class publicity for the highest leaders. In addition, there is a strongly chauvinist element in the current Indian leadership, that is in such sharp contrast to earlier styles. So while China may take to strategic restraint, except in carefully selected cases, India may take on a more strident role in regional affairs.

Where will this take us?

<more>

Back
Top Bottom